Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I have heard completely opposite feedback from people I respect as drivers. What are you guys experiencing?

I have heard...
The SM6 is faster ( what we saw at test by about .2-3 on average)
The Sm7 is faster
The SM7 is more consistent and easier to drive
The SM7 slip angle is such that it breaks away with little warning
The SM7 is easier to drive and more consistent
The SM7 doesn't go away the entire race like the SM6 does
The Sm6 doesn't go away during the race like the SM7 does
The Sm7 gets better after a few cycles

Anyone with actual experience on the tires want to comment, I think this should be a good thread for all.

Any set up changes? More pressure? Less pressure?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

We don't even start racing until April....I keep waiting for the rest of you to figure it out :)

• pat slattery, Jim Drago and Charlie Hayes like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
At NOLA: 1 HC SM6s grained. They were from the Runoffs.
2 HC SM6 same story. Warned tire up slowly and it still grained.
10 HC Toyo RR no issues with graining just wailed on them on practice day.
SM7 2 lap warm up, no graining, stickers through 3 HC

SM7 definitely less grip cold. First turn out lap on stickers I put it off track as the tire had less grip than I found in the rain.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

What does Mr T. Craig Berry have to say ????

My Nola experience:

Same psi as SM6

Not good first session

Needs to cool off after initial session. Only sat for a couple hours. But, it was cold and windy.

Brown and Voytek raced on 3 session tires in Sunday SM race

Voytek ran 5 session old tires in Sunday STL race. He has never been on 5 session old tires, EVER!!!!

Most sessions had the fastest laps at end of session.

May be a tad slower than SM6, but we had no data to back that up, only seat of the pants feeling.

I got a warm fuzzy feeling that these will be an improvement. BUT, my only experience is at a track that nobody had any previous experience.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
I run the same pressure in the SM7s as I did SM6s. I had myself, Mark Drennan, and Kyle Kaiser on the same tire setup at our first majors at Fontucky this year, all were in the hunt with no complaints to me.

In my testing they are still plenty fast at cycle 5-6 and can do long runs. 15-20 lap runs with good laps at the beginning and of you need to you can put a flyer together at the end. Stickers are still good to me. A little edgy but the last bit you need is there hiding somewhere in lap 3-4.

A lot of lap records will get touched up on out here in the West I think.

I like the fact you can run just about any amount of camber with these tires and still get away. They will cord the outside edge after a lot of driving 8-10+ long cycles for what I'm doing but it's fast for a sprint race....
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

We don't even start racing until April....I keep waiting for the rest of you to figure it out :)

The SM7 snow tires are pretty good in Ohio. I studded mine.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
The data that I have from Sebring and Nola is slightly contradictory. Sebring....on the older pavement there was no doubt that the 6's were faster.....may have been a little harder to drive at the end of a run, but faster. NOLA....with the new, COTA like, very smooth pavement the 6's seemed to be out of their element, VERY hard to drive fast (not impossible) and very hard to be consistent or get a rhythm. Taylor's Sunday performance was the lone exception I noticed. The 7's were more consistent and easy to push to the limit. I was going to run 4 session 7's for the Sunday race until we found a quarter size pc of rubber missing from the right rear tire, so I went to one session......before that, the more cycles the 7's had the faster they were.
I think the only conclusion that can be made with my personal data, watching Alex and Lamb in Florida, and Voytek, Brown at NOLA, is that the 7 is a tire that will be the same or maybe even better for several sessions. I think this will be a better tire for our series.
  • Charlie James, Jim Drago and RussMcB like this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Thanks for sharing guys. I ran them SM6's and SM7's at Sebring and at PBIR. 

I want to exclude PBIR from this comparison as I believe that like Mid Ohio, this track likes older harder tires, as they grain really easily. I did not run NOLA but it sounds as though it is similar there. 

• At some tracks the SM6 will be much better, it appears to be a grippier softer tire than the SM7, and is amazing in the early stages, but can fall off rapidly at the end of a race.
  • It appears as if the SM7 is slightly harder compound and might be more durable, and might provide more usable heat cycles, but I can't say that with any certainty just yet. 

• Jim Drago and RussMcB like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Guys Thanks for sharing. Some very fast Drivers/teams sharing their opinions for all. Very nice and only in SM will you find this! When I have run the SM 7 tire, I will contribute as well.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I have only run the SM7 at NOLA, but it was definitely the better tire at that track. Regardless of which tire is faster, as that wont be an issue much longer, I REALLY like the SM7 so far. The tire stays very consistent if not improves for the first several heat cycles. Gone are the days where a set of stickers has a couple of tenths advantage. I have high hope that this tire will be very good for the class.

As far as NOLA is concerned, I switched over to the SM7 on Saturday qual and ran quite a bit faster than Friday afternoon. Some of that time I do attribute to the faster tire, but it was also a new track so I was getting faster each session. I ran the SM7 Saturday qual, Saturday race and Sunday race. Each time the tires felt great. I ran them particularly hard on the Saturday race and I was sure there was going to be graining when I came in. Much to my surprise they looked great. They seem to be able to take a high level of abuse without destroying themselves.

• RussMcB likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Number:90

After extensive testing at the shop today, we've decided they make crappy snow tires. The old SM6 was no better.

• Jeff Wasilko, Jim Drago, Tom Sager and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:35
Maybe I have missed it but are sticker SM7s any faster, is it going to eliminate the need to sticker up?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Maybe I have missed it but are sticker SM7s any faster, is it going to eliminate the need to sticker up?

In my limited experience, I would say stickers are actually slower.  Or at least at NOLA it seemed to be no advantage.

• FTodaro and RussMcB like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA