Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The use of drones for various activities is growing rapidly. Unfortunately they create additional liability at the race track. Due to this, we wanted to let you know what our guidelines are for operating drones on Thunderhill property.

Effective immediately, drones may only be operated by "track approved" photographers and production companies with the proper liability insurance. The operation of drones by the general public is prohibited.

Thank you, Thunderhill Management.

Would of been cool.

http://www.youtube.c...ure=c4-overview

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The production crew used a drone for the overhead shots done during the 25 hours. We did have permission and very strict guidelines on when and how to fly.

Check out the trailer of the new film

http://www.windingro...gets-a-trailer/

Dave

• Mike Collins, Johnny D and mhiggins10 like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

You know I was just thinking of buying one for filming at tracks. I was worried that they would become prohibited soon though.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

You know I was just thinking of buying one for filming at tracks. I was worried that they would become prohibited soon though.

An image popped up on my timeline stating that the SCCA has classified drones as "commercial."  Meaning now you must get an agreement from the FAA to fly them, (which as far as I know does not exist for such a circumstance) and $10m in liability insurance.  It specifically addressed autocross venues but I can't see it being long before club and especially pro races tighten their control.  

The propensity of unskilled persons flying dangerous vehicles overhead distracted and unsuspecting spectators likely makes this for the best.  I admit, I thought a DJI would get some really cool shots at the track, and as my car is broke I have lots of free time to consider such things.  I guess this means no more flying my little electrics either.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Drones, essentially radio controlled model airplanes, are a hot topic within the FAA and the AOPA.  I don't think there is an FAA "commercial" permit currently in effect.  Sounds like catch 22 to me.

wheel

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

TH changed up their verbage along the same lines.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Maybe the track photo guys can/will pick it up and add to their portfolio. Maybe ask next time you see them.

Go down to the trailer, check out some pics, watch some video, buy what you want.

J~

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

While the FAA has been issuing cease and desist orders and in at least one case issued a fine, a court recently threw out a case involving a fine saying the FAA didn't have adequate regulations prohibiting UAV use. The FAA still contends they do have the authority to prohibit use and will appeal the ruling.  Until the FAA issues more defined rules regarding commercial UAV use they are still enforcing a no commercial use aspect of how they interpret the regs.  While a track can limit who operates a UAV from their property regardless of FAA regs, they can't control someone operating it off site and flying over their property.  

This is one of those areas where the law hasn't yet caught up with the technology.  There was a huge UAV buzz at NAB this year and it looks like all the big sports broadcast players are waiting to see what will happen with the regs but they are keen to start using it.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

they can't control someone operating it off site and flying over their property. 

But perhaps they could shoot it down for violating their airspace. (that would be cool) :devil:

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Have their own attack drown.

But more likely the janitor chasing it with a broom.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Our NASA does Skeet Shooting during the BBQ, :scratchchin:  :prayer:  :weeping: 

J~

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Our NASA does Skeet Shooting during the BBQ, :scratchchin:  :prayer:  :weeping:

J~

LOL, that's what some have done.  Seriously.

I think that might be a bigger issue than planes hitting them, people snooping on others, etc.  The was a thing a while ago where two neighbors got into it because one was flying his UAV around the other guys property and looking in the windows.  All of that aside, they're pretty cool.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20

I saw a youtube video, with the Russian gun guy, who mounted a Mac10 machine gun on a drone.  When he fired the gun the UAV moved back about ten feet and tilted down.  Pretty funny and scary at the same time.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:30

I wonder how long it will be before there are 2-foot-long ground-launched heat-seeking missiles available on Ebay?

• Michael Colangelo likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I wonder how long it will be before there are 2-foot-long ground-launched heat-seeking missiles available on Ebay?

I found it rather sobering the other day to hear on the news the US buys rocket engines (for rockets that send stuff to the space station) from Russia. The US admitts to having something like 9 engines currently and it would cost over a billion dollars for the US to develop a similar engine.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Isn't the Tesla guy doing for cheap, because he knows how ??

J~

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Isn't the Tesla guy doing for cheap, because he knows how ??

J~

Yep.  There haven't been any US government missions to the ISS since the shuttle retired.  We've been hitching a ride with our comrade Vlad's boys...

SpaceX (Tesla and Paypal guy Elon Musk) make everything and has the contract for the next round of US missions to the ISS.. They have developed 5 engine families at this point, three of those in production and used on commercial launches.  The two newer families are have even more thrust than what is available.  All from the good ol' USofA.

Virgin Galactic is using SNC to develop the rocketry based up in Sparks (Reno, so close to hell you can see Sparks...) AFAIK all the US based commercial space flight operations use US designed and manufactured rocketry.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

... and it would cost over a billion dollars for the US to develop a similar engine.

We could do it pretty cheap if we didn't have the government to help us.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

NASA hasn't made their own engines in a few decades.  It's been all contractors for quite some time.  Without NASA the private sector wouldn't have been able to capitalize manned space flight.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts

Not the "help" I was referring to, but still a good point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users