Photo

Thanks for your help & this idoit needs more help !!!!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:00

First, I want to thank all of you for the warm welcome I have been given on this forum.  For someone who is not a Spec Miata driver and never has had the skills to be one, this is a great experience.  Over the last 15 years, I must have spent a combined total of 6 months on the Miata forum.  In addition, one of the companies I am working with is one of the five major vendors (sponsors) of the Miata forum knows the administrator of the forum very well.  From this background, I can tell you that the administrator of this forum is heads and tails above the administrator of the Miata forum (MX5-Miata.net.)  He might have full control of the forum and if that is the case I can understand why there might be a difference.

I need some help from all of you.  Before I cover this, there are two things I want you to be aware of.  1) This thread is not an advertisement.  The reason I say this is that a thread I started a couple of weeks ago on why I had no response from my ad in the Loud Pedal had nothing to do with selling products to Spec Miata drivers.  The products I represent are SC and turbos that cost up to $6,000 and suspension systems such as Ohlins and others that cost over $4,500.  2)  Then if I asked the questions I need some help on, anyone in their right mind would say that I am out of my mind.  So to prevent some unnecessary concern, I have tried to attached my abbreviated profile in a PDF, without any success.  So I have pasted it in the very bottom.

Without your help, the only other resources I have are Steve Bertok of Panic Motorsports and Eddie at Adrenaline Racing. 

Now that you have that information, I want you to know that I am fortunate enough at the age of 63, to have two very good Miatas.  One is a 97 with less than 1,800 miles on the crate engine, turbo that with its large IC and MegaSquirt can generate 230 whp without risking detonation. (I have lost two engines due to detonation –a real nightmare that has not gone away in over 7 years.)  The other one (93) can “only” generate 155 whp.  However, it has power steering, Momo 11.81” diameter steering wheel with NRG quick disconnect, Innovative Motorsports AFR wideband with handheld remote and a Kenwood radio (which I have not figured out how to operate) with a G-meter, acceleration- meter and motion activated stopwatch.  Having power steering with that little steering wheel gives one the feel of racing a kart and I used race a World Formula division kart.  Man is that fun.  So I am going to put power steering on my 97 that has a larger Momo steering wheel.  Having this for AutoX will be great and this car will have a lot of competition from a lot of cars that are not Miatas or Hondas 2000s.  Heck, some of you might want to try your hand at the regional events in Packwood, which is a wonderful venue for AutoX

If I have not put you to sleep, this is the situation I am lucky enough to be in and what I need to have some direction on.  Financially, I am able to maintain to Miatas in a rental car program.  I am going to buy a one of two trailer that are black and match my 97 that is brilliant black with yellow racing stripes.  Then put lettering on the sides of the trailer that match the cars racing stripes.

My business is selling aftermarket high performance equipment.  The Arrive and Drive program, that I will be advertising in the forum, will be run at a lost in the AutoX events such as the Tire Rack SCCA solo event in Packwood.  In the OR & NW regions solo event, the loss will be significantly less.  Now to the issues I am facing.  I will be renting out the cars for track days.  I cannot trust anyone but a SPEC Miata that has a current license and has proven themselves to be a very responsible driver.  Even though I will get the cars fully insured and have the driver put up a deposit of $1,000 for the deductible, I do not want to put myself in the position of having to repair the car.  So, what interest might drivers like you have in “renting” this car for trackdays.  The fee would only be slightly over the cost of fuel (race gas) and an allowance for tire wear.  And the renter(s) would need to pay for the insurance w/deposit.  Since the clubs that sponsor Trackdays at the Ridge have very reasonable rates for up to 6 hours of driving, it would seem to me that this would not be a large cost, especially if two or more drivers rented the car. (Again, there will be an ad in the forum for this.  And I am going to be spending over $1,000 for advertising in GRM in the classified ad section.  The bag for the buck there is far greater than one can get in the Loud Pedal, or for that matter the most widely read SCCA club newsletters Jeff has done a fine job and the OR region is very lucky to have him.)

Then an alternative is to rent this car for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill with the option of having trackside assistance.  I could go to of 949 Racing for answers.  However, if I were ever to proceed with this plan we would be competitors, except I would never try to do things such as specializing in providing different setups for various manufacturers’ coilovers (spring rates), etc.  Thus, the information I would get would most likely be limited.

Trying to fully answer a question like that takes more time than what I could ever expect one to provide.  So if you could give me information on what

I cannot tell you how much I will appreciate any help you can provide me.  Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to meet a number of you at one of the upcoming races.

Paul

PS:  If you are still with me, I would like for you to be aware of the following:

1. At the age of 63, I do not have the energy to capitalize on what might happen.  There is an individual that is a very good friend of mine who I have been discussing with him becoming the manager of my business and eventually the owner of the business.  In the area of FI, he knowledge of this area is very close to that of Corky Bell who is the owner of Bell Engineering/BEGi.

1. Some of you might think that I am so lucky to do something that you think you will never be able to do.  If you are thinking that, it is not true.  All you have to do is save your pennies and live past 63.  But you must save your pennies – period.

Profile of Paul Hutt (Abbreviated)

Professional

Owner NW MotorSports Group

Motorsports Club Memberships

1. Cascade Sports Car Club, Portland, OR
  2. Club Miata Northwest; Everett & Olympic Peninsula, WA
  3. Northwest Region SCCA, Olympia, WA
  4.  Puget Sound Miata Club; Seattle and Southern Puget Sound area

Motorsports Activities

1. Crewed on a SCCA Formula Ford team from 1971 to 1972
  2. Began AutoX in 2006
  3. Began track days in 2007
  1. Raced a World Formula kart. 2009 to 2010

Prior Professional Experience

Norwest Bank (nka Wells Fargo Bank), Fort Collins, CO.: (1993 to 1985)

• Member of Board of Directors
  • Regional Banking Loan Committee Chairman
  • Manager of Business, Commercial Real Estate & Agricultural Lending

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Maybe I missed it.

Is there a question on what you need help with ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Honestly, I don't know how many racers would be interested in driving your cars for track days.  For me, and most of my race friends, every spare moment of track time is spent trying to improve our abilities, or our cars.  I have little time for anything else.

Good Luck to you.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

Most people who race, if they do track days at all, would want to drive their own cars.  As Glenn says, the idea is to improve our abilities, which is as measured in a race, which means in the race car.

I might be the exception, and the combination of driving The Ridge, and driving a powerful Miata, would be a great draw.  Sadly, I wouldn't meet your criteria, as my license has expired.  All of which leads me back to Spec Miatas.  If you were to rent real Spec Miatas, to people of lesser credentials, you might have a bigger market, and also serve as a feeder into the race program -- even if you chose to only rent at track days.

It sounds to me like your fundamental mistake is to try to find a commercial use for the cars you now own, rather than to buy and field cars that will have inherent commercial value.  If you look at it as a blank-slate business proposition, I think you'll come to a different conclusion.

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Sometimes I feel like half the time at my business is spent just having fun, and I could see how Paul could have fun with this.

I don't think these cars would appeal to a lot of people on this forum (the majority of us are racers and take these chick cars pretty seriously), I can see a market for these two cars for the "track day hero" crowd.

I helped run a few track days with a friend, and also when I started this whole addiction I did a lot of HPDE days just trying to get track time.

I think there could be a market for the Porsche guys, etc....."don't want to drive your street car?  Want to drive an actual race car that just so happens to be shaped like a miata on actual race tires.....here try this."

Alternatively, if someone is a NASA racer and wants to annoy the Thunder group in a miata.......I mean wow.  Where does the monster turbo car sit in the classes....ST2?

Good luck Paul.  Just try to keep smiling.  I personally wouldn't pay to rent one of your cars...but man I'd love a 25 minute session at Thunderbolt in one of them.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

1. Some of you might think that I am so lucky to do something that you think you will never be able to do.  

I don't think anyone in this community is thinking that.

• Jim Drago likes this

Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks for all the comments.  Maybe I will see some of you at Thunderhill.

I do feel lucky to be able to do this.  I have been through the corporate banking meat grinder for years.  Sometimes it was fun at the country club,  but the rest of the time it was a lot of work and a lot of stress to make sure those bonuses kept coming in.  Now I can have a bonus without making any real amount of money.

Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Jim,  my initial criteria was from my fear of the car being wrecked - especially with 240 to 260 whp.  But, the renter will pay to insure it and provide a deposit for the non-deductible - I guess I should not be that overly concerned. 

Still I need to set some criteria and you would meet the test.

Paul Hutt

Paul Hutt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

YIKES !!  I got some info from Emillo of 949 Racing and another guy on the costs of building a "Miata" for the 25 Hours of Thunderbird, etc.   "Only" maybe $100,000 if I did it right.

Sounds like that is a NASCAR "Miata"   Either one has lots of money or has made a serious investment to propel their business like Emillo has.

So, it is going to be the NASA HPDEs and Time Trials.  And I am not going to invest in a vehicle to pull the enclosed trailer/car to CA.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Have you looked in the classifieds here ??

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

You definitely don't need to spend $100k to do the 25 Hours of Thunderhill.  You could, of course, but there are lots of folks who will pay money to play with you at one fifth of that.  Don't get discouraged about that one so easily.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
You never know when you'll get some really lousy info...or info that is not relevant to your situation. From a Miata perspective...Jim's comment is closer to reality. But no doubt it's easy to throw a lot of money at that event in an effort to win a class!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

YIKES !!  I got some info from Emillo of 949 Racing and another guy on the costs of building a "Miata" for the 25 Hours of Thunderbird, etc.   "Only" maybe $100,000 if I did it right.

Sounds like that is a NASCAR "Miata"   Either one has lots of money or has made a serious investment to propel their business like Emillo has.

So, it is going to be the NASA HPDEs and Time Trials.  And I am not going to invest in a vehicle to pull the enclosed trailer/car to CA.

Yeah, he may have that much into it considering multiple years of development but you don't NEED that much to run a Miata or any other car for that race.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

If you are starting from nothing, I can easily see $100k being spent. 

Top line SM   $30k

radios for car crew spares  $5k

spares package. With paying drivers you better have everything, and some things twice.   $15k

Transport costs vary, but to throw a number out $3k

Pit equipment, tent, hetarer, refueling stuff, tire equipment etc etc etc 10K

Crew hotel, 4 rooms, 4 nights at $100 per $1600

Food and drinks   $2400

Crew transport if any come from out of town  $2000

Crew salary. If you are making money, it is not fair to ask the crew to work for free. 6 crew x $500 each  $3k

Fuel  $1k

Tires 4 sets dry plus 2 sets rain   $5k

Crew fire suits, pit helmets etc. $2k

Rebuild car and spares after event  $5k

If my math is right we are over $80k already. Now, you have a lot of equity left over in car, spares and equipment. Next year would be a lot less outlay of actual cash. But to start from nothing and do it close to right, $100k is not that outrageous.

Can it be done for a whole lot less? Abso-fing-lutely. But you can only expect to get out what you put in.

Dave

2 years Grand-am Rolex crew chief

2013 Thunderhill winning crew chief

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona
Ok, I'll bite. I'm not sure this is all legit. Paul has had three different ideas in a few days. I particularly like the painting the trailer to match the car. I think this is Von Charb messing with us. Just sayin'
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ok, I'll bite. I'm not sure this is all legit. Paul has had three different ideas in a few days. I particularly like the painting the trailer to match the car. I think this is Von Charb messing with us. Just sayin'

He's legit.

Do a search for "Paul Hutt NorthWest MotorSports Group"

J~

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

I was thinking Charbs the whole time.

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

If you are starting from nothing, I can easily see $100k being spent. 

Top line SM   $30k

radios for car crew spares  $5k

spares package. With paying drivers you better have everything, and some things twice.   $15k

Transport costs vary, but to throw a number out $3k

Pit equipment, tent, hetarer, refueling stuff, tire equipment etc etc etc 10K

Crew hotel, 4 rooms, 4 nights at $100 per $1600

Food and drinks   $2400

Crew transport if any come from out of town  $2000

Crew salary. If you are making money, it is not fair to ask the crew to work for free. 6 crew x $500 each  $3k

Fuel  $1k

Tires 4 sets dry plus 2 sets rain   $5k

Crew fire suits, pit helmets etc. $2k

Rebuild car and spares after event  $5k

If my math is right we are over $80k already. Now, you have a lot of equity left over in car, spares and equipment. Next year would be a lot less outlay of actual cash. But to start from nothing and do it close to right, $100k is not that outrageous.

Can it be done for a whole lot less? Abso-fing-lutely. But you can only expect to get out what you put in.

Dave

2 years Grand-am Rolex crew chief

2013 Thunderhill winning crew chief

Dave What the... i do not see beer on this list.

What self respecting racer would not get that in the top 10...

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Can't be Charbs, there aren't any videos....

@Hutt  You may want to do a business plan and some more research.  It doesn't appear that you have nailed down the fundamentals of your market.

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
This guy should be banned like he was on other Miata forums. He's also under the username Racing Grandpa. He swings around all these wild ideas and project builds and is always trying to do it the cheapest way possible. Also, I've seen arrive and drive autoX programs to a 25 Hour endurance build proposals just in the last couple weeks. Neither of which are really happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users