MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

The end is near for TWS.  A real estate investment firm in Houston bought the track a few months back and they are positioning the property to be approved  for a 500+ acre housing development.  It appears the local homeowners could care less, as they don't like the noise.  If you know of anyone on the planning and zoning commission,  city council, or business owners that benefit from the track being used almost every weekend of the year, please let them know how you feel about the loss of the track.  The Southwest Division will be greatly impacted by the loss of the most centrally located, most fun track in the division.  If you have never raced there (best location for a Major in the Conference) please find time in your schedule to make it out Memorial Day weekend.  Unless things change rapidly this will be the last year the track is around for our enjoyment.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

The end is near for TWS.  A real estate investment firm in Houston bought the track a few months back and they are positioning the property to be approved  for a 500+ acre housing development.  It appears the local homeowners could care less, as they don't like the noise.  If you know of anyone on the planning and zoning commission,  city council, or business owners that benefit from the track being used almost every weekend of the year, please let them know how you feel about the loss of the track.  The Southwest Division will be greatly impacted by the loss of the most centrally located, most fun track in the division.  If you have never raced there (best location for a Major in the Conference) please find time in your schedule to make it out Memorial Day weekend.  Unless things change rapidly this will be the last year the track is around for our enjoyment.  

Sounds like the writing is on the wall unfortunately.  That property s worth a heck of a lot more as housing development and most of the neighbors would most likely love to see it go away. A very few would prefer it stay IMO. Sad, we are losing more and more tracks :(

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Sounds like the writing is on the wall unfortunately.  That property s worth a heck of a lot more as housing development and most of the neighbors would most likely love to see it go away. A very few would prefer it stay IMO. Sad, we are losing more and more tracks :(

Jim

Did some quick math on the deal. If it sold for 8 million the track rental fee would have to go up to $28,000 per weekend from the roughly $17,000 per weekend (assuming occupancy 50 out of 52 weekends a year).  I don't know how you could possibly duplicate that track for anywhere near $8,000,000. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Maybe COTA will lighten up and we can have that as a replacement local track? Either way it sucks
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

There's a petition going to keep it alive.  Like you mention though, I don't think there's a lot that can be done.  It'll be a sad day when it closes- glad I'm planning to be there later this year.

http://soonerbillz.com/SaveTWS/

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Mcallister should buy it
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Mcallister should buy it.

McAlister Sr. did buy it.  

If McAlister Jr. would have bought I would have found a way to make it free track days for all my friends for years. 

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
That would be great
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

bigsmittyJAS

bigsmittyJAS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:85

So I just finished moving all my race kit down here. I see on the schedule that there is a race scheduled for the 24-25 May, but there are no details on the Sow Div website. Is this race impacted by the sale of the track?

Jeff Smith

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

SCCA LSR

WhenMay 24 – 25, 2014
DescriptionThe Lone Star Region of the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) is the place for racing enthusiasts in Central Texas and the surrounding areas. For more information please visit www.lonestarscc​a.org

NASA end of this month.

Schedule

http://www.texasworl...k-schedule.html

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

On another forum Chicanery said all contracted events for 2014 are on, and there may be 2015 events. Depending on when the new owner can start development.

http://www.trackjunk...speedway/page-4

see post #74 and below.

bigsmittyJAS

bigsmittyJAS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:85

Thanks fellas. Nothing on the Lonestar SCCA site or that other calendar link (registration info, supps, etc.) unless I am totally missing it...

Jeff Smith

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

IDK how you guys sign up or if it's up yet.

Didn't see it on Motorsportsreg.

But it's on the Calendar.

http://texasscca.org...racing-calendar

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Story Not Yet Over For Texas World Speedway

The Fate of Texas World Speedway was sealed in the 1980s when major motorsports series removed the track from their annual schedules, until now. With only visits by amateur club racers and smaller series, the track had little hope of a profitable future. The track was scheduled to be closed in June, 2015 with demolition starting shortly after to make room for a housing development worth $513 million.

At the end of November, demolition has yet to begin. In the meantime, another investing group has expressed an interest in complete reconstruction of the road course and more. If no deal is made, the group plans to build a new track about an hour away. Either way, that’s promising news for Texas drivers.

This Small-Town Race Track May Get A Stay Of Execution After Decades Of Struggling
http://blackflag.jal...tion-1732018768

J~

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Story Not Yet Over For Texas World Speedway

I really, really, really hope so as I have many fond memories from this track. But I'm not holding my breath. Apart from the land purchase price (which was claimed to be $10m at one point), the renovation cost of the track will be very substantial. There are significant brown field environmental problems (which also challenge any development) and once any construction is started the city will almost certainly require the entire complex to be renovated to current codes - which is a big deal. Finally (new) noise ordinances will increasingly be difficult/expensive to overcome as new neighborhoods encroach. With that said, if investors do fund it, I would be happy to increase my entry rates to continue to race there.

Race tracks are very, very expensive construction propositions and at the rates that clubs and weekend drivers are willing to pay, the financial pro formas simply don't work unless there are deep pockets from a few fanatics (eg Barber).

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I really, really, really hope so as I have many fond memories from this track. But I'm not holding my breath. Apart from the land purchase price (which was claimed to be $10m at one point), the renovation cost of the track will be very substantial. There are significant brown field environmental problems (which also challenge any development) and once any construction is started the city will almost certainly require the entire complex to be renovated to current codes - which is a big deal. Finally (new) noise ordinances will increasingly be difficult/expensive to overcome as new neighborhoods encroach. With that said, if investors do fund it, I would be happy to increase my entry rates to continue to race there.

Race tracks are very, very expensive construction propositions and at the rates that clubs and weekend drivers are willing to pay, the financial pro formas simply don't work unless there are deep pockets from a few fanatics (eg Barber).

CNJ

No doubt it is much cheaper to keep existing facilities open than build new ones.  This will all boil down to how bad the city wants the race track gone.  Single family residential subdivisions are not revenue generating for cities.  The environmental issues on the site are small compared to the overall cost of the SFR subdivision.  Their biggest economic hurdles are getting rid of all those stands and paving along with the dirt work to level the berm.  

As for its future as a race track, if the track rental rates doubled they would be grossing 1.5- 2.0 M annually.  Not sure what their operating costs are but I bet they are bare bones.  It could continue as is with minor maintenance for a very long time with those revenues.  

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
MPR,

I agree with your assessment. I also think that clubs are spoiled with low rental rates - and these are going to have to increase in order to provide financial viability for tracks. I for one would be happy to pay extra to play.

CNJ.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TWS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users