• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990
So I took my build, which is mostly completed out to roebling road for a trackday this past weekend.

For the most part the car ran great!!! Track was fun. In the morning I was on a set of DZ101 street tires. Later on I switched to some supposedly
Shagged Ra1's. Man even 12 years old and having barely over two grooves left, actually did pretty well!! Now I need to find something to use more regularly.

All in one piece after a fun day of track beating.
563447C2-D9B0-4A3A-9A24-E5C16F529BB8.jpg

Anyway, at the end of the day the car is still running fine, no issues, so I drive it up on the trailer and pack up.
Drive back to Atlanta and go to unload the car off the trailer. ( I locked the doors after parking it on the trailer, and only unlocked them now while unloading) open the door reach in and start it up, I walk around to the back of the car and undo the straps, realizing it still sounds like lifter clatter, so I look back in at the dash.
I have 0 oil pressure on the gauge, and a check engine light on. I turn it off, check the oil level, and see it's fine. Go back start it up, same as it was, and turn it off.

What the hell??
I did nothing to it, it drove back to the pits, and around the paddock a bit after the track day, no issues.
I know I had good oil pressure on the cool down lap of the last session.

The motor is a 122,000 mile street engine, that I checked over, all bearings looked good, and the pump had good clearances and minimal wear. It's run 1 Autocross test day, 1 trackday, and maybe 800 street miles since taking it mostly apart to reseat everything.

I'm stumped how it could break itself riding on the trailer,
Any tips or suggestions? I really do t want to yank the motor again

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Easy things first. Check the oil pressure sender wire. The sensor is under the intake manifold next to the oil filter. Kind of a bugger to get to. If the sensor connection looks ok I'd probably swap in a replacement sensor as a next step.

• Michael Colangelo likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Well there was clatter was there too, though it didn't sound like no oil pounding. I'm thinking it really is zero oil pressure, I plan to put a gauge on and see.
I did check the sender wire, it was still fine and in place.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Drain the oil, if it truly has zero pressure and it making noise then the oil and filter will have bearing material in them.  I'm betting its the sending unit like Mark said.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Oil pump plunger stuck. Time for a rebuild or replace.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I think Chris may be correct. Start again and pull the filll cap in valve cover, see if you have any oil there.. If not.. it will need to come apart. A small piece of debris will stick those things

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

I think Chris may be correct. Start again and pull the filll cap in valve cover, see if you have any oil there.. If not.. it will need to come apart. A small piece of debris will stick those things

Can you guys elaborate what this means?  Is there a way to check this?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

unfortunately,  the more i look into this no oil pressure thing,  the more I think you are correct. 

if it really has none it can only be broken pump gears, or stuck relief valve. 

and a little clatter would be indicative of the relief as I don't hear an obnoxious sound of a broken pump gear spinning in the housing.  

is there any chance of clearing this, or is it just pull the motor? I know I cant really get the pan off in the car.  this bites,  I just put the thing together 2 months ago. 

I was planning to build it a race motor for later,  I have a spare engine and RE built head that I was going to put together for that,  but it seem a waste for trackdays right now. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Options:

Do you have a Miata factory shop manual? If yes, under pages D-7, 8, 9 oil pan removal/inspection/installation it provides steps to lower front subframe/crossmember for approx 4 inch cleatrance between the pan and the steering gear housing, then remove pan and maybe do what you need to do with the oil control plunger. Without looking at my car, I would suspect if one were to disconnect the four (4) top shock mounting nuts, disconnect the sway bar bushing mount from the chasis that the whole subframe with suspension can be moved from under the engine area. 

Never did it, maybe others have. Or it may be a bigger pain in the a$$ than removing the engine???   :noidea:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Pull the oil filter and inspect it for gold dust.  That will probably tell you all you need to know. 

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Is gold dust a bad thing?  I've certainly poured enough money in my motor to see a gold bar or two pop out the other end :D

• Anthony Ralston likes this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Actually bearing material is more valuable than gold dust, only if it isn't there.  How's that for twisted logic?

wheel

• Bruce Wilson likes this

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

I agree with Wheel on cutting the oil filter to check for bearing debris. If there is none and the oil sensor is okay (and I expect it is) ... and then if you're a gambler (and believe it's debris in the relief valve), fill the crankcase with really cheap 50 weight oil, start it up and give it a few seconds at ~3,000-4,000  RPM's and then look at the pressure gauge at idle. If you're living right that might just over travel the relief valve spring and clear whateverwas blocking it from seating. If it was mine I'd give it a rip!  

Good luck and if my idea kills your motor, I never suggested it.

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year