VIR New Pavement - A few qualifying laps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Thought I'd post up my Sunday qualifying session, which was mostly run in free air, to show people what the new pavement looks like at VIR.  This is my first time to the track in 3 years, so I'm a little rusty in places.  This was a NASA event, so best lap on Toyo RR's was a 2:18.2

https://vimeo.com/90284303

Comments/critiques are always appreciated.

Duncan

• RacerX likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

2:18.2 is "a little rusty" ? !

I like the new run-off at NASCAR bend track-out. Hopefully will reduce some carnage.

Did they fix the car-launching drain in the grass, drivers right, before Oakless Tree?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

2:18.2 is "a little rusty" ? !

I like the new run-off at NASCAR bend track-out. Hopefully will reduce some carnage.

Did they fix the car-launching drain in the grass, drivers right, before Oakless Tree?

The runoff on three is very nice.  There's also some additional pavement at South Bend.  No enough to really make it quicker, but enough to bail you out if you run to the edge of the curbing. 

No idea on the drain.  I vaguely remember that from 3 years ago.

The new line through 'Oak Tree' is much better now.  Better flow, and significantly quicker.

Duncan

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I bet the track is 2 seconds or so faster now than before the paving. They just did Memphis and it was almost three seconds faster, Atlanta was about 2-3 as well if memory serves me correctly.   I have never been, so I cant speak from any experience, but I think the extension patches did nothing but widen the track for classes like Sm. The problems with people dropping wheels at those extension patches wont be solved, just moved out a few feet. :(  Maybe a more severe curb or progressive rumbles at the exit would have been a better solution? They provide a surface to save the car from spinning back into traffic, but no advantage by using the extra space by doing so it encourages you to stay on the track. Turn 5 at Road America comes to mind. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

2.5 seconds sounds about right.  The previous SCCA record on SM6's is in the 17's as far as I can tell, with the NASA record on RR's being a very low 20.  My data shows that a 17.6 is definately possible on Toyos.

I also agree on the runoff just moving the problem out, but it does give more side by side room in a couple of previously tighter corners. 

Duncan

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I also agree on the runoff just moving the problem out, but it does give more side by side room in a couple of previously tighter corners. 

Duncan

Good point, didnt even know that was an issue

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Some of the apex and exit curbing looks a little rough.  I don't know why tracks put the rough jagged stuff down.  Obviously they want to discourage drivers from using too much road but the cars really pay a hefty price on the rough stuff.  Around

here both Road America and Blackhawk have really rough "gator tooth" exit curbing in spots.  Autobahn on the other hand has smooth apex and exit curbing with grass on the other side so the lack of traction on grass keeps you from from using "too much road".  In a couple spots where you might be inclined to cut across an apex they've simply made the curbing a little taller which is a deterrent. Maybe the pro race organizers want the tough stuff.  I don't know but to me the pavement - curbing - grass transition is the best.  

img_0837-1024x834.jpg

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

The curbing is an FIA level 2 track requirement and was needed for VIR to host ALMS and some other pro races. 

Duncan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users