• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
Based on having 20 Spec Miatas at Hallett in 2013 we went to a seven-group schedule and gave you guys your own run group.

The event is April 5 & 6 (test day on Friday), so y'all have another week to sign up.

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Reg.

http://www.motorspor...85#.UxUI_eM7um6

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Based on having 20 Spec Miatas at Hallett in 2013 we went to a seven-group schedule and gave you guys your own run group.

The event is April 5 & 6 (test day on Friday), so y'all have another week to sign up.

Baffling.. 

One of the best tracks we run at.. fun, great people and treated well every time we go. FOr years we all complained we needed a double there. Now we have a double at one of the most challenging and fun tracks you will ever drive in a miata and the initial turn out is not good. Hopefully more will sign up. I just don't get it.  If Hallet were in Dallas or anywhere in the SE, it would be one of the biggest events we go to. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Don Reynolds told me he was bringing a couple of guys who I don't see on the list yet.  Not sure why more from Texas are not signed up. Maybe it's the cheese grater nature of the pavement (although it's not much worse than Eagles Canyon). The other issue is the lack of Mid-Div participation (or even SM racers).  I remember a thread on that topic a while back.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
I'm committed to my daughters national championsip volleyball tournament or i would be there. Hallett is a must have for those that love 'racin' and not time trialling. You could qualify 10th and win at Hallett in a deep field, not many tracks I have raced at can I say the same.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
If Craig will loan me his car ill be there!!
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:11
I am glad to hear all the great things about the track. My father really like going there when he raced. It will be my first time there as well as my first official Majors race. A little disappointed at the turnout so far for my first Majors though. After watching the race monitor of all the other so far this season, I thought a good goal would be a top ten finish this year. At this rate it will come much sooner than I thought.
-David Schroeder

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Hallett is by far one of the best tracks in the region.  I would put it on top with TWS close behind.  The lap times are around 1:30 so the races end up being 25 laps.  25 laps of constant focus and movement.  It is very challenging, especially with two time national champion Jim Drago in your mirror.  The owners are deeply involved in the operation of the track and help make it such a great experience.  They are very friendly and accommodating.   This is the race I look forward to above all others.  Great hospitality, great track, great competition.  Come Race!

• Jim Drago likes this
BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Hallett is by far one of the best tracks in the region.  I would put it on top with TWS close behind.  The lap times are around 1:30 so the races end up being 25 laps.  25 laps of constant focus and movement.  It is very challenging, especially with two time national champion Jim Drago in your mirror.  The owners are deeply involved in the operation of the track and help make it such a great experience.  They are very friendly and accommodating.   This is the race I look forward to above all others.  Great hospitality, great track, great competition.  Come Race!

Couldn't agree more.. Except that I hope I have to see you in my mirrors :) That is not much fun either BTW :)  In all actuality, neither are in each others mirrors that long! Lots of passing, lots of give and take! . Some of the best ( fun and challenging)races I have ever run have been at Hallet! For those who have not raced there, they have no clue what they are missing.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
hallett mirrors

Typically, we are in each others side mirrors!  This picture shows our mirrors knocked out of position because of some mirror on mirror contact.  THAT is close racing.

p.s.: I won that race  :wave2:

BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Typically, we are in each others side mirrors!  This picture shows our mirrors knocked out of position because of some mirror on mirror contact.  THAT is close racing.

p.s.: I won that race  :wave2:

LMAO! Good one! See you this weekend!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Registration ends April 3rd, 12pm CDT

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:11
Has anyone been able to register for the test day on Friday? I've sent a couple emails to Connie with my form but have yet to hear back. Even tried calling but they told me to just email. For those who have been there, will I be able to walk in and register for the test day on Friday morning if she doesn't have me down?
-David Schroeder

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Has anyone been able to register for the test day on Friday? I've sent a couple emails to Connie with my form but have yet to hear back. Even tried calling but they told me to just email. For those who have been there, will I be able to walk in and register for the test day on Friday morning if she doesn't have me down?

Yes you will be able to register when you get there. You can call as well
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
I'm aware this could be seen as me whining, but I really just want to point out an example of just how difficult it is to develop a weekend schedule two months before an event.

In 2013 we had 21 Spec Miatas at the Hallett Majors event. That made SM the largest class attending yet they were included in a run group with T2, T3, T4, and STU. Even with a split start there were issues with non-SM traffic which drivers commented on (some more vociferously than others). As a result we added another run group for the 2014 event - making a total of seven - to give SM their own group. The result?

With a day left before registration closes we currently have 13 entries in Spec Miata.

As I just mentioned to my wife, if I took all this stuff personally I'd be a mess...

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Grp 4 has the low turn out not grp 3 :)

There has been more than a 100% (doubled) sign up since you posted here. :)

J~

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I'm aware this could be seen as me whining, but I really just want to point out an example of just how difficult it is to develop a weekend schedule two months before an event.

In 2013 we had 21 Spec Miatas at the Hallett Majors event. That made SM the largest class attending yet they were included in a run group with T2, T3, T4, and STU. Even with a split start there were issues with non-SM traffic which drivers commented on (some more vociferously than others). As a result we added another run group for the 2014 event - making a total of seven - to give SM their own group. The result?

With a day left before registration closes we currently have 13 entries in Spec Miata.

As I just mentioned to my wife, if I took all this stuff personally I'd be a mess...

This has baffled me as well...
Not what else we could provide.. great track, great people running it, it is a double, it is one of the least expensive majors we run, we have out own run group? Why we don't have 25 plus cars is beyond me. Short of moving the track to the SE or Texas.. I have no other solution? :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Totally unrelated to Hallett, but maybe says something about the Majors. Registration for the May 3-4 Daytona double regional/SECS (Runoff points) races has been open 1 1/2 days and already has 27 SM entries. Regional fee is $200, SECS fee is $220. Double dip classes for another $100. For $150 you can add a 75 minute enduro. Garages rents for $30. One could enter 2 classes and an enduro and still be less than the single Majors entry.

Daytona Beach and Jennings, OK are within 50 miles of being the same distance from my home. Guess where my money will be spent.

PS: The June Majors at Mid-O is 45 minutes from my house. At $590 per entry it's a big no go.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Totally unrelated to Hallett, but maybe says something about the Majors. Registration for the May 3-4 Daytona double regional/SECS (Runoff points) races has been open 1 1/2 days and already has 27 SM entries. Regional fee is $200, SECS fee is $220. Double dip classes for another $100. For $150 you can add a 75 minute enduro. Garages rents for $30. One could enter 2 classes and an enduro and still be less than the single Majors entry.

Daytona Beach and Jennings, OK are within 50 miles of being the same distance from my home. Guess where my money will be spent.

PS: The June Majors at Mid-O is 45 minutes from my house. At $590 per entry it's a big no go.

BUT what about the fuel...      EXAMPLE---   2000 miles total for trip to DAYTONA.   2000 miles(back and forth) / 15 miles a gallon(doubtful its this good) * $3.75 a gallon = $500.00  Fuel is a bigger factor in racing then the cost of the entry.

NEXT---Does anyone on this site believe the SCCA is getting rich off the members?  The tracks are getting more and more expensive to rent---period.....

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I can't speak for the others, but for me its just bad timing this weekend. I have historically run this race in the past but my personal and work schedule precluded me from doing it this year. The other racers that I have spoken to in Texas have a similar story. I DO appreciate our own run group especially at Hallett as this has been an issue in the past. I think to some extent the lack of Texas racers has a compounding effect. We all want to race against each other and when participation starts to drop for whatever reason, there isnt that extra kick to get you to blow off whatever is keeping you from attending and go.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian W

Oh... and this race is in a different region so at least for me when I look at the schedule and plan out the races I am doing at the beginning of the year, this one always gets left off and I have to scramble to make the event. I'm just not used to checking the ark valley race schedule as this is the only race most of us do from that region.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users