67 replies to this topic

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Matt,

I understand your point as well, but if we use only the fast race lap on Saturday to set the grid for Sunday's race then what about the driver who sets a track record in qualifying but gets taken out (or breaks) on the first lap of Saturday's race?  Assuming they get the car back together for Sunday, does s/he then have to start from the back?

I do appreciate your self-recognition that you "may" be biased, though. :optimist:

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Matt,

I understand your point as well, but if we use only the fast race lap on Saturday to set the grid for Sunday's race then what about the driver who sets a track record in qualifying but gets taken out (or breaks) on the first lap of Saturday's race?  Assuming they get the car back together for Sunday, does s/he then have to start from the back?

I do appreciate your self-recognition that you "may" be biased, though. :optimist:

Butch,

You are using one of the unlikeliest of scenarios as a reason not to change a process. If everyone played the what if game there would never be a good enough reason to change. I haven't been negatively or positively affected by the current rule so I am not biased. Or you could try a third option and use early Saturdays qualifying session to set the Sunday grid. It's short but obviously long enough to warrant consideration. I'm sure there are reasons not to but if you asked the competitors (hint :) ) you might find they have a preference.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Matt Reynolds

Matt Reynolds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Butch,

You are using one of the unlikeliest of scenarios as a reason not to change a process. If everyone played the what if game there would never be a good enough reason to change. I haven't been negatively or positively affected by the current rule so I am not biased. Or you could try a third option and use early Saturdays qualifying session to set the Sunday grid. It's short but obviously long enough to warrant consideration. I'm sure there are reasons not to but if you asked the competitors (hint :) ) you might find they have a preference.

My perspective is that the process has been changed.  Previously in our division in this situation the grid was set by the immediately preceding race's lap times.  On a typical weekend with weather being cooler in the morning and warmer in the afternoon both of the races are absolutely dependent upon one qualifying session.  This puts those that do not have the time to run on Friday at a Major disadvantage (I'll claim that as a pun).

I can see the arguments that can be made for both sides.  Two different approaches to achieving the same result of setting a grid for Sunday's race. 

Just my take on the matter.

-Matt

BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

But things HAVE changed since 2013 at Hallett. Last year with six groups it was qualify and race on Saturday, then qualify and race again on Sunday - two entirely separate "events" for all intents and purposes. In order to accommodate the SM drivers request for a stand-alone run group we added a seventh run group, and there simply isn't enough time in the day to run the "Q/R, Q/R" format for that many run groups.

I'm open to suggestions on how to make that work (that are fair for all parties)...

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Probably not a Hallet thread..
It really doesn't matter to me as I could be on either side of the fence in the future. Much of this started at the Runoffs last year with the weather. It would have made zero difference to me as I was fastest in both sessions first and third. I don't think Butch's scenario is that far fetched, see 2011 Runoffs :)

A couple arguments for the other side just to take the other side.

-Why would we weigh sessions in the weekend any heavier than the beginning?
-Every one has the same opportunity to show up ready and prepared to "qualify" for qualifying.
-Race laps can be aided by multi car draft that may/may not happen in qualifying often with 4-5 fastest cars
-to a certain extent, you make your own luck. Show up prepared to qualify each and every session.
-bad/good luck is part of racing, real or manufactured.

If for some reason you have/had a problem in qualifying you have an opportunity to move up with a fast race lap. You also have the benefit of draft etc in race that you may/may not in qualifying, if in the top 4-5, you have the benefit of drafting the fastest guys in the field.

I think what we have now is fair for all, could work for you, could work against. IMO, a case could also be made that pole sitter in qualifying should not lose his/her time against a race lap? All the same arguments for could be used against.

My opinions have zero to do with this weekend. Matt and I could have started 10-11 in either order and the results would have been the same other than Matt could have beat me both days just as easily. But little to do with starting position. Not my point, nor do I think it is Matt's.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

qualify for qualifying

Is this something new?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Why would we weigh later in the weekend any heavier than the beginning?

Too many cheeseburgers?
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Comodians!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users