82 replies to this topic

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Squeaky wheel get the grease IMO.

Drivers at the event need to say something.

Podium got to tech, I want my car teched.

If you get IDK ??, then bring it up in drivers meeting, chief tech, PM Butch

J~

You're funny Johnny, what you suggest would normally work.  But come see how it's run down here and who is influencing SM tech and see if any oil is applied where it's needed.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

You're funny Johnny, what you suggest would normally work.  But come see how it's run down here and who is influencing SM tech and see if any oil is applied where it's needed.

Sorry, not trying to be nieve. Just thinking in my simple world if you PM Butch Kummer here and told him, he's a member. There may be a phone call that would change things for Sunday.

Or we just fall back to, oh their just volunteers and it can't be helped or we need an added cost for tech?

BS IMO, I think those were yours comments as well. Funny seems like you think there's nothing you can do but upset?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10

I guess one way to keep tech fair is to not check anyone to protect those/team/shop suspected of playing outside the lines...  Just sayin'

SCCA Majors is the top rung of the amateur racing ladder right now, this is not good for our class.  Yes, I asked the question suspecting what the answer was going to be...  I've heard what a joke it is.  Yes, I'm the NASA guy but this is in my backyard and it's total BS.

Trolling at it's best.  Pretty BS comments John, IMO.  "suspected of playing outside the lines"  Who the F are you talking about?  By insinuating people are cheating and not naming names/teams, you're basically accusing everyone of cheating.  I'm confident the cars/people/teams running up front come prepared to be tech'd - weighed, restrictors, whistled...whatever. 

Sure, I wish more tech was done so people like you couldn't speculate BS.  But just because it wasn't, doesn't mean some conspiracy exists to protect cheating drivers/teams.  From what I saw and did myself, the top cars were top prepped with solid drivers and that's why we were all so close.

I love NASA too, but their tech can suck balls too (e.g. zero teardowns at Nationals...cough, cough).  I've seen minimal tech in my NorCal/SFR region by both NASA/SCCA.  SCCA tech at Road Atlanta was good (whistled top cars).  Maybe you can share with me/us what makes SoCal NASA so special when it comes to tech?  Are you whistling cars in SoCal NASA?    

Haven't even hit "Post" and already regretting responding...can't believe I let myself get hooked by an internet troll again!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

Trolling at it's best.  Pretty BS comments John, IMO.  "suspected of playing outside the lines"  Who the F are you talking about?  By insinuating people are cheating and not naming names/teams, you're basically accusing everyone of cheating.  I'm confident the cars/people/teams running up front come prepared to be tech'd - weighed, restrictors, whistled...whatever. 

Sure, I wish more tech was done so people like you couldn't speculate BS.  But just because it wasn't, doesn't mean some conspiracy exists to protect cheating drivers/teams.  From what I saw and did myself, the top cars were top prepped with solid drivers and that's why we were all so close.

I love NASA too, but their tech can suck balls too (e.g. zero teardowns at Nationals...cough, cough).  I've seen minimal tech in my NorCal/SFR region by both NASA/SCCA.  SCCA tech at Road Atlanta was good (whistled top cars).  Maybe you can share with me/us what makes SoCal NASA so special when it comes to tech?  Are you whistling cars in SoCal NASA?    

Haven't even hit "Post" and already regretting responding...can't believe I let myself get hooked by an internet troll again!Brennan,

Mark, you, Charlie And the entire TFB team are doing everything you can to compete in SM, don't take this stuff to.heart.  keep.winning and disregard the rest.  Ask Drago, there are a lot of "haters" looking to stir it up.

You're better than that.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Haven't even hit "Post" and already regretting responding...can't believe I let myself get hooked by an internet troll again!

Everything you say is correct Mark so don't regret it...  Yes, I'm trying to start a fight, just not with you our your team.  I've always respected you and think Charlie is one of the coolest kats on the planet.  You have integrity just for called me out on my trolling.

I'm specifically talking to the historical lack of tech on the cars that frequent the shop that the CalClub SM Leader/Director owns.  That's not speculation, that's fact.  What I'm insinuating may indeed be BS but without the proof (tech) who really knows.  I doubt there is anything wrong with the front running cars but with no tech allows for trolls like me to spout sh!t.

SoCal NASA determines what will be inspected and which finishing positions will be held days prior top the event.  Those plans change if something just doesn't look right (ie, Scott Philips in March 2013 at AutoClub Spdwy).

I'm mostly pleased with the level of tech at the 2013 NASA Championships of the top 4 finishing cars.  I did make an error by not pulling a car into tech to potentially tear-down prior to it ultimately being DQ'd on a technicality.  The data I had (dyno pulled on top four cars, most of them multiple times over the event) did not warrant going beyond what we did...  I wanted to tear-down but didn't feel it was worth it, and yes it was my call.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

I think they left SM alone and went after B-Spec the last two majors.  At thill they were going down the checklist for everything which I had not seen at any of the majors before, fuel test ports, etc, etc on top of the usual weights.  For Buttonwillow we got the AIM solo units dropped into the cars as well.

-Derrick

• john mueller and Kyle Keenan like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

Edit: NVM.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I'm specifically talking to the historical lack of tech on the cars that frequent the shop that the CalClub SM Leader/Director owns.  That's not speculation, that's fact.  What I'm insinuating may indeed be BS but without the proof (tech) who really knows.  I doubt there is anything wrong with the front running cars but with no tech allows for trolls like me to spout sh!t.

I'm mostly pleased with the level of tech at the 2013 NASA Championships of the top 4 finishing cars.  I did make an error by not pulling a car into tech to potentially tear-down prior to it ultimately being DQ'd on a technicality.  The data I had (dyno pulled on top four cars, most of them multiple times over the event) did not warrant going beyond what we did...  I wanted to tear-down but didn't feel it was worth it, and yes it was my call.

Does this just have something to do with Palm trees or did Breathless PROformance move to california???

To Mark Drennan, if you feel you being called a cheater you must be doing something RIGHT, so just keep on doing it!  

ON the NASA champs I am sure the winner would have like to have been torn down for one reason and one reason only!  To make it legit to our tough community that he won with Legit Equipment.  Nasa championships need to have tear downs its that simple...

Bottom line both clubs need more tech at all races.  I understand the regional guy doesnt want to be torn down, but there are so many simple tech things that dont require tear down, it just requires a committment by the club, whether it be monitary or man power resources.  Dynos can and will be deafeated, a wistler cannot be defeated when done correctly, gear ratios checks cannot be defeated short of paying cash to the guy calculating it, dialectric fuel test would be tough to be defeated and is easy and quick.  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I agree with Kyle 100% !

I would add that the one major piece that is missing is that there should be consideration of the ECU. It is ridiculous that with the amount of brain power that exist here that a ECU program hasn't been put in place. We have seen examples of them being doctored, they are one of the biggest performance gains to be had, it is easy to do, and yet no formal program in place. I have heard of two objections to an ECU program, delicate pins, and guys that have their fuel trimmed out so tight that a small curve change risks their engine. Of the two, I find value only in the pin argument. And that could be easily overcome with a pigtail adapter where you are plugging in and out of the adapter and not the harness (This also address any concern of the ECU being hard to get to on the 99s). Anyone trimmed out so tight that a minor curve shift risks their engine has the ability to retrim to the new ECU and is doing so anyway with atmospheric variables found on any given race day.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

James top 3.

2:09.059

2:09.061

2:09.159

Are they ? or the hugh jump top 2:09.9 in 4th make it's clear. :) 

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Running similar times, or having similar power on a dyno does NOT mean there is not cheating going on!!!

there are plenty of ways to get 130hp out of your engine but not many ways to do it legaly...  so a dyno proves what? that everyone that didnt cheat the dyno has similar numbers...  it hasnt proved a single thing about legality one way or the other. 

Thinking like that is harmful to our class.  

This pointed at nobody in particular...

K. Webb