• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Ok, but what about johns idea for a coordinated and organized tech program that crosses organizations? And what about an ecu program that is easier than shipping to kansas?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

So apples and oranges orgs.

Paid vs volunteers.

If SCCA can't get them to come out or do it tech, maybe give NASA a call. :)

I don't think there was cheating.

I don't think the ECU is really an issue.

If your not doing everything that's legal, I could see how it looks. But it's " I don't know what I don't know " that kills you.

Any top team would put you/driver to shame, get a complete tear down and come up clean.

It's the whole package, crew/driver/car

A good quote in the 1.6 speed secret thread.

Come up again, I'll look over your program.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Nevermind

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Sorry, you seem upset that there wasn't and about the ECU.

You can write, send a letter to where it counts.

Could only be BW tech, could only be tech with SM at BW, since B-spac got some, IDK, Wasn't there.

Don't really want to touch the rest.

All good example of not top prepped drivers, cars, track experience, etc.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

If John wants a compliance program then lets see one!

Nobody is stopping either club form doing it, and IMO i think its way more powerful if a driver doesnt know what to expect from one club to another...  Now if nasa would just make a deal with Hoosier the world would be all good! :)

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Sorry, you seem upset that there wasn't and about the ECU.

You can write, send a letter to where it counts.

Could only be BW tech, could only be tech with SM at BW, since B-spac got some, IDK, Wasn't there.

Don't really want to touch the rest.

All good example of not top prepped drivers, cars, track experience, etc.

J~

Not upset Johnny. Sorry, I don't write letters and I don't file tech protests.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So apples and oranges orgs.

Paid vs volunteers.

If SCCA can't get them to come out or do it tech, maybe give NASA a call. :)

I don't think there was cheating.

I don't think the ECU is really an issue.

If your not doing everything that's legal, I could see how it looks. But it's " I don't know what I don't know " that kills you.

Any top team would put you/driver to shame, get a complete tear down and come up clean.

It's the whole package, crew/driver/car

A good quote in the 1.6 speed secret thread.

Come up again, I'll look over your program.

J~

Johnny is Charbonneau writing your posts again?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny is Charbonneau writing your posts again?

Darn you figured it out.  :)

Do you like it, no video or anything ?

J~

TVANCE13

TVANCE13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I don't typically post, but will make an exception in this case.  I started racing karts about 12 years ago. I remember one race I came to the grid with old tires and the guy next to me had on stickers.  I gave him a hard time.  After ribbing him, he asked me "Did you come to race or did you come to win"  It always stuck with me and changed the way I looked at racing moving forward.  

The guys that run up front in SM unload their cars with the expectation that they can win.  And do so legitimately.  They spend countless hours preparing for that result.  They run private test days on NEW tires, run multiple sets of tires over a race weekend, share data with their team and spare no expense on equipment. They prepare to win.  

The difference between racing and winning in SM is huge (as is the bill).  If you come to race, it's a fun class with great guys.  If you come to win in THE toughest class in the country then you need to prepare (and typically spend) accordingly.  I picked this class for Tyler because in karts we learned, you will only be as fast as the guys you race.  Was it humbling in the beginning?  You bet.  DId I think people were cheating.  Of course.  But the drive to reach the front is what kept me coming back.  To me winning in a non-compliant car defeats the whole reward of winning.  If you want a trophy that bad there are plenty of other classes out there.  

To put last weekends race in perspective - On saturday we made 2 miniscule changes to the car that completely dialed us out of contention.  On Sunday we went back to what we had and could only manage to achieve 3rd…He got out of the car and said it was the hardest race he had driven in the last 3 years.  A quote - "I was so on the edge through Taladega I thought I was going to die nearly every lap".  It ain't easy to win in SM.  That's why I gave up the car to my kid long ago.  :)

As for tech - The more the better.  

• john mueller, Johnny D, Joe (dad) Jordan and 4 others like this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I don't typically post, but will make an exception in this case.  I started racing karts about 12 years ago. I remember one race I came to the grid with old tires and the guy next to me had on stickers.  I gave him a hard time.  After ribbing him, he asked me "Did you come to race or did you come to win"  It always stuck with me and changed the way I looked at racing moving forward.  

The guys that run up front in SM unload their cars with the expectation that they can win.  And do so legitimately.  They spend countless hours preparing for that result.  They run private test days on NEW tires, run multiple sets of tires over a race weekend, share data with their team and spare no expense on equipment. They prepare to win.  

The difference between racing and winning in SM is huge (as is the bill).  If you come to race, it's a fun class with great guys.  If you come to win in THE toughest class in the country then you need to prepare (and typically spend) accordingly.  I picked this class for Tyler because in karts we learned, you will only be as fast as the guys you race.  Was it humbling in the beginning?  You bet.  DId I think people were cheating.  Of course.  But the drive to reach the front is what kept me coming back.  To me winning in a non-compliant car defeats the whole reward of winning.  If you want a trophy that bad there are plenty of other classes out there.  

To put last weekends race in perspective - On saturday we made 2 miniscule changes to the car that completely dialed us out of contention.  On Sunday we went back to what we had and could only manage to achieve 3rd…He got out of the car and said it was the hardest race he had driven in the last 3 years.  A quote - "I was so on the edge through Taladega I thought I was going to die nearly every lap".  It ain't easy to win in SM.  That's why I gave up the car to my kid long ago.   :)

Awesome post Tom !!!  

If John wants a compliance program then lets see one!

Nobody is stopping either club form doing it, and IMO i think its way more powerful if a driver doesnt know what to expect from one club to another...  Now if nasa would just make a deal with Hoosier the world would be all good! :)

I intend to work on this over the next year or so...

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

To put last weekends race in perspective - On saturday we made 2 miniscule changes to the car that completely dialed us out of contention.  On Sunday we went back to what we had and could only manage to achieve 3rd…He got out of the car and said it was the hardest race he had driven in the last 3 years.  A quote - "I was so on the edge through Taladega I thought I was going to die nearly every lap".  It ain't easy to win in SM.  That's why I gave up the car to my kid long ago.   :)

Dont be a stranger Tom! Your perspective is dead on! The respect and comradery that is present at this time on the west coast makes it very difficult to think anyone is cheating up anything. Across the age spectrum, know one is taken for granted and hand shakes and "great drives" are handed out with sincerity!

That said, human nature is what it is. Beyond narcissism, the desire to achieve acceptance, success or fame,  sometimes blinds the weak to overlook what they know isnt right...be it business, politics or sports. There needs to be an active form of checks and balances that all can count on and it would seem SCCA is falling on its face right now to provide this...at least on the west coast.

There is non-compliance going on all over the place...somethings that matter, some that dont. Somethings people care about...some they dont. But I'm pretty confident most would just like consistancy in tech application. And it would be nice to figure out a way to tech what seems to be what a lot of whispering is about these days...ECU's and metal coating to name a couple. But i'm pretty confident anyone who thinks they have the ability and the car to be in the top 10 at Laguna this year is going to show up confident in any tear down process, My  :twocents:

• Jamz14 likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29

To put last weekends race in perspective - On saturday we made 2 miniscule changes to the car that completely dialed us out of contention.  On Sunday we went back to what we had and could only manage to achieve 3rd…He got out of the car and said it was the hardest race he had driven in the last 3 years.  A quote - "I was so on the edge through Taladega I thought I was going to die nearly every lap".  It ain't easy to win in SM.  That's why I gave up the car to my kid long ago.  :)

GREAT POST!
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

And it would be nice to figure out a way to tech what seems to be what a lot of whispering is about these days...ECU's and metal coating to name a couple. But i'm pretty confident anyone who thinks they have the ability and the car to be in the top 10 at Laguna this year is going to show up confident in any tear down process, My  :twocents:

Not to argue, but a valid point IMHJ. When is the last time within the SCCA anyone knew the internals of a transmission during tech were on the bench or the last time an ECU was teched? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Not to argue, but a valid point IMHJ. When is the last time within the SCCA anyone knew the internals of a transmission during tech were on the bench or the last time an ECU was teched?

Trans opened at the runoffs in 06,08,09 and this year in my car
ECu's teched last year at the NJ majors

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

06, 08, 09 are history. I know of two illegal Miata trans from approx 06 which is also history. :bigsquaregrin:

ECU's at NJ majors last year is 1 point race data, it's a good start.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

06, 08, 09 are history. I know of two illegal Miata trans from approx 06 which is also history. :bigsquaregrin:

ECU's at NJ majors last year is 1 point race data, it's a good start.

Maybe you should volunteer... you are retired and have more time than most :)  Funny EVERYONE knows of this illegal XYZ that "someone" ran.. My opinion is name the names, or say nothing.  The he said, she said stuff gets really old. Also not fair top people who did well in 06,07( I certainly was not one of them).. it is easy to accuse and know "x", but you are spray painting crud on the top six from 06/07 with your accusations. Of course not all were doing this... just two.. just enough not to be anyone in particular but cast BS on all.   With all due respect, if you didn't see the disassembled box yourself, you don't know Jack!  I know the guy that knows the guy that did it, well that is just hearsay.   That goes for everyone, not just dew

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

+1!  After Race 1 at Thunderhill, I spoke with the Conference tech steward and asked for more tech on Sunday.  I retired early so nobody looked at me and I don't know if anything additional was done (hey- that was my plan all along!) but if we drivers ask for it, we will get it (eventually).  

On the other side of the coin, we have to realize there are some practical limits.  Space, staff and of course time.  If we came to the track for two races per weekend and we had dedicated tech staff (a la MX5 Cup or World Challenge/etc), there would be no shortage of oversight and tech.  But at TH, for example, there were 300 entries in 7 groups and 28 classes who all needed tech.  Could more be done?  Sure - but it's not always going to be for us even if we are a more competitive class.

As for Jamz saying you don't write letters and you don't file protests: "if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain".  Suggesting ideas or bitching here accomplishes ZERO.  There is a procedure for making your opinion heard and it's called crbscca.com.

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Agreed. I am good with the way things are.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
I know the guy that bought the two illegal Spec Miata transmission and I know the guy that had the job to rebuild the transmissions. You know the two guys also. You most likely know exactly who bought the transmissions and from exactly who and exactly who was hired to rebuild the transmisions. Accusing, hearsay are words you use to cleanse your site. When you talk of potential over the line gray areas illegalities no one accuses you of anything . Gee, how come? I had a short conversation with a pointy end Spec Miata driver at the track one day about his illegal decal placement on his car. Would you like me to openly provide you with the details of that little story. Made the same comment to a Spec Miata driver this wekend and his wasn't even disguised as a decal. Why don't you call out everyone that comments about potential tech items? This thread sort of trailed of to improving tech items.

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10

I know the guy that bought the two illegal Spec Miata transmission and I know the guy that had the job to rebuild the transmissions. You know the two guys also. You most likely know exactly who bought the transmissions and from exactly who and exactly who was hired to rebuild the transmisions. Accusing, hearsay are words you use to cleanse your site. When you talk of potential over the line gray areas illegalities no one accuses you of anything . Gee, how come? I had a short conversation with a pointy end Spec Miata driver at the track one day about his illegal decal placement on his car. Would you like me to openly provide you with the details of that little story. Made the same comment to a Spec Miata driver this wekend and his wasn't even disguised as a decal. Why don't you call out everyone that comments about potential tech items? This thread sort of trailed of to improving tech items.

I'm with Jim on this Bench.  Instead of saying "the guy", just reveal the person you're talking about so the people who don't know who "the guy" is won't speculate that any one of "the other guys" are the person you're talking about.  Otherwise, don't even bring it up. 

In the spirit of full disclosure, my shock was non-compliant at the '08 Runoffs and as a result, now we all have a published shock spec...you're welcome.  The shock was refurbished by Bilstein in preparation for the championships and was supposed to be to SM specs...wasn't even close.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users