Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Oh, I think they did that on purpose to not have a pile up in 1, spread the field out.

But you guys proved them wrong. :)

Have to be ready in 14~15 IMO.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Thanks!

What Alberto said. Every other race that weekend we lined up on the front straight, but for this one it seemed like as soon as the pace car pulled off the guys at the front went for it right away. You can see in Juan's video there were big gaps even several rows in front of us.

Very rare but i have to agree with Johnny on this one!  :D

Though i believe it says in the rules the pole sitter should maintain pace car speed until the green flag...reality is this is hit or miss(and a whole other debate). Regardless where you are in the pack at the start...it is your responsibility to keep pace/close proximity to the car in front of you. And as Johnny said...get up to that bumper in plenty of time to react.

In this case...I know the pole sitter was going to roll on the throttle out of 15 and get to a speed for a 3rd gear start and maintain as they generally always throw a very late green flag. No intention to spread the field...just avoid that dreaded 2nd to 3rd missed shift by one of the first few rows at the start.

Not singling anyone out here...as there were a lot of gaps!! And for those who do this on a regular basis in some sort of gamesmanship to time the start and get a run... :bsflag2:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So I wasn't there, Mark can make the call when the green dropped, but there's many ways when to wave the flag to get different results.

Drop flag when in front of starter stand, there packed tight about to bust.

Earlier, all or most are on front striaght.

Early when pace car pulls in. In this case most are caught off guard unless your crew yells Green!!

They figure it out after coming off 15 so the field is spread out, right off the bat.

It's ment to be a way to start the race cleanly.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991

Very rare but i have to agree with Johnny on this one!  :D

Though i believe it says in the rules the pole sitter should maintain pace car speed until the green flag...reality is this is hit or miss(and a whole other debate). Regardless where you are in the pack at the start...it is your responsibility to keep pace/close proximity to the car in front of you. And as Johnny said...get up to that bumper in plenty of time to react.

In this case...I know the pole sitter was going to roll on the throttle out of 15 and get to a speed for a 3rd gear start and maintain as they generally always throw a very late green flag. No intention to spread the field...just avoid that dreaded 2nd to 3rd missed shift by one of the first few rows at the start.

Not singling anyone out here...as there were a lot of gaps!! And for those who do this on a regular basis in some sort of gamesmanship to time the start and get a run... :bsflag2:

Ok, I admit I was probably napping a bit as well. I'm glad the topic was brought up, though, because I have a question: Should I have been on the bumper of the white car even though the #91 was hanging back and was ahead of me on the grid? If I'm on the outside I've always tried to line up with the car next to me because it seems like getting ahead of him/her before the green is jumping the start.

Another question: what about not being on the bumper ahead for safety reasons? For cases like, uh, the #91? And 18 other cases where I've seen cars hit the brakes at the start?

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

After your split, I don't care who I'm beside.

Up to you, you have to drive it home. (no trailer)

J~

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
Wait, so car goes wide at turn 1, ends up facing wrong way, Brandon hits the dirt? I think I've seen this movie before.

Episodes 2 and 3 in particular share some shocking similarities. 

• Alberto and Derrick Ambrose like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:86

Wow, the last two clips were almost the same ruts!  Glad your car is still ok, as that "paint" is priceless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users