949Racing

949Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:SoCal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:949

Just a few videos from the first half of the 2014 season. Next race is WSIR June 28

More videos on http://www.youtube.c...ups/SuperMiata/

Round 1 - Streets of Willow Feb 2014

Round 2 - Chuckwalla March 2014

949Racing

949Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Round 3 - Spring Mountain May 2014. Standing start for this one

Round 4 - Sonoma June 2014

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Watched your Sonoma video which had me wondering...I assume there are other classes and run groups? Sonoma is not a cheap place to rent so I'm curious what cost you guys are paying for your track time? Is this video an inverted grid? Contact 3 or 4 times on the first lap?? I assume the white car is Andrew...if not someone with equal driving skill in one of his cars? I just don't understand why you guys choose to run around by yourselves? I cut and pasted this off your (SuperMiata) website...

"SuperMiata is the most affordable wheel to wheel production car racing series in North America. Nothing else even comes close actually. No “pro” engines. No complex tech and impound. No prize money, national championships or fame. Just great, close racing. The cars are very rewarding to drive having a better suspension, more power and better aerodynamics than other “Spec” classes. A front running SuperMiata can be built for under $10k, runs on pump gas and $109 Maxxis Spec tires that last 3-4 weekends to keep consumables costs low. Entry fees are lower than traditional club racing and you get almost twice the track time"

Can you build me a car like yours or Andrews for$10k?? :) you don't consider yourselves or your shops "Pro"? Or your motors "Pro"? I do...and that's a compliment...I know how much time, development, and effort goes into your cars.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

949Racing

949Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

2016 Round 1 - Buttonwillow - Race 2

Standing start in the rain. Yowza. Driver: Sonny Watanasirisuk - 949 Racing

Supermiata checkride. This is something we do with every drivers new to the series. Basically evaluating their situational awareness, decision making and basic car control

Qualifying in mixed conditions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5yWrXXLUg

2016 Round 1 - Buttonwillow - Race 1

Driver: Andrew Kidd - Trackspeed Engineering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1JnVFOg9

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

The two drivers should have got out and argued which driver owned the corner because one of them wasn't fully alongside...  JK :D

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

949Racing

949Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

The two drivers should have got out and argued which driver owned the corner because one of them wasn't fully alongside...  JK :D

SPM rules are any overlap, not wheel to door. Also 1 full car width to open track edge, 1.5 car width to fixed object (K wall, hay bales, tire barrier). It's sorta like DRS, more passing, less bent sheet metal is the result.

http://supermiata.co...es-regulations/

Passing

The first rule of passing in SuperMiata is that it is always the responsibility of the overtaking driver to complete a pass safely and without contact. This will never be superseded by any other rule.

The overtaking driver earns the right to the line when any part of their car overlaps any part of the leading car. The intent and wording here is to leave no ambiguity on the part of either driver. Driver being passed knows there is a car there. Driver attempting pass makes sure they are seen before asserting their position.

The driver in front must leave one car width to edge of track to an overtaking car if there isany This means that if the leading driver loses track of the overtaking car, they must leave one car width to track edge. When in doubt, leave room. If the track edge is fixed or will cause vehicle damage for exceeding it ( hay bale, K wall, fence, etc) the leading driver must allow 1.5 car widths. This does not mean that an overtaking driver will always be able to precisely place their car in the space. Because of this potential for imprecision, the responsibility once again falls on the overtaking driver to complete a safe pass without contact. We fully realize that this rule makes overtaking easier. Of course that works both ways, allowing the passed driver to counter attack in the next turn. The generous  nature of this rule is to reduce the possibility of contact.

If it is clear, upon review of in car video that the leading car made an abrupt blocking maneuver that did not allow for the high closing rate of a car attempting a pass, fault will be placed on the leading driver. In other words, just because a pass attempt may be low percentage, does not give the leading driver the right to slam the door shut and effectively initiate contact when it is otherwise avoidable.

Course Cutting

If at any time during qualifying or race, a driver cuts the course (one apex) whether due to a mistake or to avoid contact, that driver will be issued a 3s time penalty for that lap. This 3s penalty will be issued for every apex that  is cut during that session. Cutting an apex is defined by all four wheels on or inside of white line, dirt or kerbing delineating track edge. If tires closest to racing surface are overlapping track

949Racing

949Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Watched your Sonoma video which had me wondering...I assume there are other classes and run groups? Sonoma is not a cheap place to rent so I'm curious what cost you guys are paying for your track time? Is this video an inverted grid? Contact 3 or 4 times on the first lap?? I assume the white car is Andrew...if not someone with equal driving skill in one of his cars? I just don't understand why you guys choose to run around by yourselves? I cut and pasted this off your (SuperMiata) website...

"SuperMiata is the most affordable wheel to wheel production car racing series in North America. Nothing else even comes close actually. No “pro” engines. No complex tech and impound. No prize money, national championships or fame. Just great, close racing. The cars are very rewarding to drive having a better suspension, more power and better aerodynamics than other “Spec” classes. A front running SuperMiata can be built for under $10k, runs on pump gas and $109 Maxxis Spec tires that last 3-4 weekends to keep consumables costs low. Entry fees are lower than traditional club racing and you get almost twice the track time"

Can you build me a car like yours or Andrews for$10k?? :) you don't consider yourselves or your shops "Pro"? Or your motors "Pro"? I do...and that's a compliment...I know how much time, development, and effort goes into your cars.

This website is buggy. I do not get notified of replies despite clicking every subscribe button and verifying the email address. Some posts do not display. So two years later I see this..

Sonny built his first car "Monty" for about $8k including the car. It didn't win until he spent money on some better shocks and a few other bits, bringing the total to about $10k. Most of the cars in the series cost between $10-16k. Of the last 10 race wins, 6 were on junkyard motors. A few lap records held by junkyard motors, 2nd and 3rd in the 2015 championship junkyard motors. So yes, they are not "pro" motors. In any case, the power is capped so there is nothing to gain by spending money on a fancy motor when a junkyard motor will make the power cap.

The build recipe is published and simple. Yes it does take someone with enough experience to prep a race car but there is no exotic materials or fabrication involved. Any shop or individual capable of building a legal SCCA or NASA PT, Spec Miata or ST car can build a Supermiata.

Our host is Speedventures. We often practice with their advanced group (red). We have the track to ourselves for the races of course. We will sometimes have a split start with another race group separated by 20s or so, fastest in front.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users