Maniac motorsports12

Maniac motorsports12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:SJR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Front brake pads are wearing on an angle.  After jumping in my 92, I realize that my 99 pedal is much softer.  The  92 is a new car to me so I don't know if this is common to have a difference between the pedals in these 2 years.  Can't see anything mechanically wrong except it seems like the right front has more drag than the left front.  Replaced the caliper and the bracket on the right side, that didn't seem to stop the drag or the pad angle wear.  Any other ideas?  Both fronts wearing on an angle.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Our pads have always worn on an angle...nothing drastic but noticeable. Has never affected the ability to stop! I've never worried about it. 

Are you running the same pads on both cars? Might be the reason for difference in pedal(or pedal pressure). But I have heard many guys talk about longer pedals in the NB car... :noidea:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Replaced the caliper and the bracket on the right side, that didn't seem to stop the drag or the pad angle wear.

I don't know how much brake pad angle wear you get comparing to what is within norm, but a common problem could be a bend spindle.

Hit to the front wheel could do that. 

Remove the caliper.  Put on the rotor and the bracket.  Tie down the rotor using wheel lugs. Measure from the front of the bracket to the rotor, and from the rear of the bracket to the rotor.  You can do the same thing on the other side to compare.  If anything is off, change the spindle. 

Sometimes all it takes, is a spin of the rotor to see if it runs at the angle comparing to the bracket's front and rear. 

Hope it helps, since you already changed the bracket along with the caliper.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I had that problem and it was entirely within the calipers. I think it is due to the pads hanging in the calipers themselves.  Now I use East Street magic grease calipers, I change the clips and springs regularly, and I file the edge of the pads where they slide on the clips.  No more beveled pads.  I also try to remember to move the inside pad to the outside after each weekend.

Note:  If the pads get warn significantly at an angle, flipping the inside to outside will give you a really soft pedal and lousy braking.  Best to get new pads.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Slop in the caliper pins and bushings makes this SOMEWHAT normal and unavoidable for floating calipers.  If you "rotate" pads very frequently (every day of tracktime), you can get more life. 

Keith's greasing, filing, and use of the polished "clips" DOES help all things brake-related, and especially pad wear, and especially the taper of the pad wear.  You'll read lots of posts saying the clips aren't necessary and the poster has "no problems". 

Remember - when you are threshold braking, the pads are being SLAMMED into the rough cast surface of the caliper carrier, and your ability to modulate depends on how smoothly they will slide in and out WHILE they are resisting 250 ft-lbs (or whatever) of torque.  You should even be LIGHTLY greasing the interface between the clips and the backing plate "tabs".

• Bench Racer likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brakes, pads, angle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users