• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

RickyV

RickyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Greeting everyone,

My name is Ricky V and I run a site called Race Optimal.  Basically, I developed a program to analyze 2D data (that means no camber or elevation considerations) and calculate the "optimal" line around a racetrack.  All tracks include analysis specifically for the Mazda Miata.  I also produce video simulations for the four major vehicle types, which are accessible by clicking the play button in the upper right hand corner of the map.

You may be saying "What?? No elevation data?"  Well, yes.  Ideally, 3D effects would be included, but when it comes to their effect on the actual line, it is often subtle enough that it's hard to tell the difference looking at an overhead map.  

My goal for this project is to help experienced drivers get new ideas about what line might work the best and where, and to help inexperienced drivers understand and visualize the concept of the racing line.

I'd be honored if you'd take a look, and even more honored if the project actually helped you get more comfortable or shave time at the track. 

Of course, I'm open to any feedback you might have, as well.

Cheers,

Ricky

RickyV

RickyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Also I forgot to mention, but was reminded by a PM I received - the simulation does indeed produce some "not ideal in the real world" behavior in places.  You can leave comments below each map - other users will definitely benefit from knowledgeable drivers pointing out where the optimization has failed, so please, don't hold back!

G.Obadia

G.Obadia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:2008
  • Car Number:66 SM5
That's cool!
ElginRacing / Meathead Racing / Radial Tire Co / York Automotive
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51

Interesting, it proposes slight differences from the classical line for the tracks I'm familiar with, including some I'm going to try.

Thanks for posting and look forward to the feedback from the front of the pack guys.

RickyV

RickyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Interesting, it proposes slight differences from the classical line for the tracks I'm familiar with, including some I'm going to try.

Thanks for posting and look forward to the feedback from the front of the pack guys.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the lines you think it might be worth experimenting with?

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

I love nerdy stuff like this.  Good stuff Ricky!

• Mike Collins likes this

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Very cool.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Very interesting stuff. I looked at a couple sections at Road America, the line from T1 to T3 I would have suspected at T2 would have been closer to the inside and breaking the hill pre T5 is spot on.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Very Cool, Can I request Sonoma Please :)

Thank you,

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Xav

Xav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:9

Very cool.. I'm fascinated by T1 VIR... makes me wonder some...   although I will admit the proof of the double apex at oak tree is nice..  

#9 SM

NASA National SM Director

NASA Mid-Atlantic Race Director

http://www.injectorpulse.com

spruill242

spruill242

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

God I would love to see an F1 car do 200+ up the climbing S's at VIR! Very cool thanks! 

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Very cool stuff. Intersting the change of lines with the different cars
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

RickyV

RickyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Very Cool, Can I request Sonoma Please :)

Thank you,

J~

Sonoma will be added in the next update!

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Nice job!  I will use this as scouting when I go to new tracks.

I don't know anybody that uses two apexes at Summit Point T-1/2, but that behavior may be due to the condition of the track surface prior to the last upgrade.  I'll definitely give that a try.  I've always had a problem getting through VIR T-1 fast, so I'm willing to try anything there...

RickyV

RickyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Nice job!  I will use this as scouting when I go to new tracks.

I don't know anybody that uses two apexes at Summit Point T-1/2, but that behavior may be due to the condition of the track surface prior to the last upgrade.  I'll definitely give that a try.  I've always had a problem getting through VIR T-1 fast, so I'm willing to try anything there...

If it occurs to you, I would appreciate an update when you get the chance to go back to the track, letting me know what helped and what didn't!

Ralph Dommes

Ralph Dommes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Wash DC
  • Car Number:80

I'll give it a shot too at Summit Point - it does show non- traditional paths...

Ralph Dommes

www.ralfracing.com
Motorpsorts Apps

Club Racer - Car #80 The Red Baron

BSR FATT Instructor
PDX Instructor

Beer Instructor

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: racing, spec miata, racing lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users