Photo

What Goes Here? Vacuum Line Question

- - - - -

Best Answer bmarshall1 , 07-04-2014 08:18 AM

The timing and idle issue seems to be solved at this point.  For all of those who were pointing to a vacuum leak - give yourself a pat on the back.  The interesting thing is where I found the leak...

I took the upper manifold to replace a leaky injector ring and decided to test the VICS check valve, it is supposed to be a one way valve, but mine was open in both directions, possibly flowing air backwards and when it should not have been, perhaps giving the appearance of a vacuum leak.

While I can't say for certain this was the problem, I can tell you a new VICS check valve made all my problems go away.  The timing is steady, the idle smooth, and it will hold a partial 2000 RPM throttle.

THANK YOU everyone for all of your input!!  Miata people are a great resource and awesome community.

Bruce

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

After cleaning and re-installation of the intake manifold on my 99, I have an 'extra' vacuum fitting and no hose to put on it that I can find.  Currently i have it capped with a (white) hose nipple, can someone look at the picture and identify the missing hose? I am pointing to it with a white pencil, you can see it behind/under the throttle cable.

Thank you

Attached File  Vacuum Nipple.png   136.12KB   6 downloads

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I believe there's a hose that comes from a "boost" sensor on the right side of the engine bay that goes there.  I bet if you google "miata vacuum lines" you'll get a decent diagram.

Edit: I was wrong.  Looks like it comes from the "purge solenoid valve"...part of the emissions/evaporative system...

http://ww2.justanswe..._154828_vac.gif

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Thanks Dom, I googled and read the service manual but none of the pictures or diagrams had enough detail to make out the proper routing.

I am hoping someone with a 99/00 can take a quick look at their car.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Here's someone's image.  His arrow on the left points to the hose.  Follow it back.

http://www.joehender...ngine_small.jpg

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Thanks Domm  that helped a lot.  But now I have an empty nipple on the T under and to the right of the TB, directly above the alternator and pointing forward.  it 'appears' there may/should be a cap on that one by looking at the diagram?  Can you confirm.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Isn't it a bitch guys when only two guys in the whole wide world own a 99 Spec Miata. :scratchchin:

Ya know guys, I been called a lot of things on this site. I call myself, well intended.  If I owned a 99, I'd walk to the shop and directly find the answer to the vacuum line question.  :bigsquaregrin:

Try this address, second row, diagram with yellow hoses. https://www.google.c...BA&ved=0CBQQsAQ

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

thanks Bench, I had looked at the diagram and that's why I believe the nipple is capped off, I'm just looking for confirmation.

Can anyone address my other thread "Weird Idle Issue"...  I set the timing to 14 degrees on my 99, after a few minutes it goes back to 10 degrees and then wont hold a partial throttle at about 2000 RPM, it wants to climb and then drop.  Upon restart the timing is back to 14 and then drops to 10 again

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

There are a gazzillion other diagrams show, didn't look at them all. Just finished a post at your timing post/oscillating issue, from an experience with my 1.6.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Bench,

thanks for you help, I just finished a tranny and diff fluid change and have put the car to bed for the night and will resume tomorrow.

I'm sure there is an easy answer but i don't know what it is.

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Vacuum routing issue is SOLVED, thanks everyone.

The main issue now is that once fully warm, it will not hold a steady 2000 rpm at @1/8 throttle, it wants 1/2 or more, otherwise it revs to @ 2000 rpm them drops back to 600 rpm and repeats the cycle

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Could be the wrong intake manifold gasket. NA 1.8 has the same bolt pattern but different port shapes. Don't ask why I know!!!!

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at the gasket and ports to assure they match up.

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
✓  Best Answer

The timing and idle issue seems to be solved at this point.  For all of those who were pointing to a vacuum leak - give yourself a pat on the back.  The interesting thing is where I found the leak...

I took the upper manifold to replace a leaky injector ring and decided to test the VICS check valve, it is supposed to be a one way valve, but mine was open in both directions, possibly flowing air backwards and when it should not have been, perhaps giving the appearance of a vacuum leak.

While I can't say for certain this was the problem, I can tell you a new VICS check valve made all my problems go away.  The timing is steady, the idle smooth, and it will hold a partial 2000 RPM throttle.

THANK YOU everyone for all of your input!!  Miata people are a great resource and awesome community.

Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users