First Ever Spec Miata Race (VIR)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Below is some video from my first race in my Spec Miata. Car is a 1999 running under the new NASA rules. Original motor. Had a great time. Obviously some work to do in getting used to the car. I'm still over braking on most of the turns and my start was not great. Any VIR/Spec Miata tips would be greatly appreciated.

Duncan

http://www.vimeo.com/20403430
  • RacerX likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Nice quality video Duncan. Speed was showing in kilometers...changeable I'm sure? Most up shifting was done about 6500...seems you could be winding out a bit more, but I don't own a 99 so someone else may have to chime in. Love all the data at the bottom of video, especially the G-force indicator. Very cool. There is nothing like your first race! :P
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
There's still some config work I'm doing with the smartycam. Obviously the gears are wrong as well.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Nice race. Play with the settings for the shift lights on your dash display. It's telling you to shift too early.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
I only had time to watch the first few laps. You seem to be anticipating what the cars around you are going to do and letting them dictate what you do. For example, I can hear you slowing in anticipation of someone in front of you braking (even where they have 2 car lengths in front of you). If you had continued to press, you would have closed that space udner braking and, who knows, maybe he makes a mistake and you squirt by. Drive your car and don't let the others dictate your line or brake marks, etc.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
+1

You seem to be very aware of what is going on around you, which is great. But, now that you are aware, you can be a little more aggressive.
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I only had time to watch the first few laps. You seem to be anticipating what the cars around you are going to do and letting them dictate what you do. For example, I can hear you slowing in anticipation of someone in front of you braking (even where they have 2 car lengths in front of you). If you had continued to press, you would have closed that space udner braking and, who knows, maybe he makes a mistake and you squirt by. Drive your car and don't let the others dictate your line or brake marks, etc.

+1 That is right on Kyle. It brings back memories form my first race. Your line looks nice though, your overbraking problem will fix it self with some time. Did you track a higher hp car in the past before you got a Miata? I know coming from a Porshe to a Miata was tough for me.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

Rep. of Lexington, KY

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:NASA-GL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:187
You guys use brakes? :blink:

Keep at it, OP! I can't wait for my first race... soon enough!
Chris Adams
90' SM
NASA-GL #187 SM

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Could only watch the first few laps. It's a race, be a little more aggressive. Spectators buy seats outside the track, you have great situational awareness, the problem is you see other cars and then you LET them pass you. If you gridded based on qualifying you let about 10 cars by that you are faster than.

Why were you not in your position on the start? You were an entire row too far back.

You seem to be shifting WAY to soon. Shift just before it bounces off the rev limiter.

You can run the uphill esses in 4th or 5th it is a weather dependent thing, either way don't lift until the small straight at the top and hold the gas flat on the floor all the way up.

On the back straight do not pull 5th gear until you crest the top of the hill, you loose momentum shifting uphill. You will be near the top of the RPM band but the car won't build any more RPM going up hill.

The car looks pretty strong. Not bad for a first outing.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Mike,

Thanks and great feedback. Since this was only my 3rd race ever, I was mostly concentrating on having an incident free first few turns; after all I only have a provisional license.

Agreed I was out of position on the start. The black car beside me was supposed to be in the empty spot ahead however lined up next to my left. I was definitely late on the gas and very timid through turns 1-5.

Will definitely take your advice on the shifting. Thanks for the compliments on the car. It's a bone stock engine. We made 115hp with the old restrictor so I'm sure it's down quite a bit from that with the newer setup. Not planning on touching the engine until I've worked on the driver a little bit.

I'll bring more aggression in March. I haven't uploaded Sunday's race yet, but my lap times steadily increased through the weekend from high 25's on Sat morning to a mid 23.9 on Sunday.

Duncan

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

+1 That is right on Kyle. It brings back memories form my first race. Your line looks nice though, your overbraking problem will fix it self with some time. Did you track a higher hp car in the past before you got a Miata? I know coming from a Porshe to a Miata was tough for me.

Not only a higher hp car, but a higher hp AWD car. :) Big adjustment for me. Picture of the last car.

Posted Image

Duncan

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Nice drive. Don't get too aggressive as this is NASA racing. Now if you want to run SCCA...different story, but still check the aggression as you learn your race craft.

Chris Adams

Chris Adams

Rep. of Lexington, KY

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:NASA-GL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:187
I knew you looked familiar... from NASIOC!

I, too, came from a WRX. Albiet, much more stock than yours!

Posted Image
Chris Adams
90' SM
NASA-GL #187 SM

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Nice drive. Don't get too aggressive as this is NASA racing. Now if you want to run SCCA...different story, but still check the aggression as you learn your race craft.

I understand your sentiment and albeit NASA or SCCA, be predictable. In a race it would be common practice to race for a position, that is why they call it a race and not a lapping day. I believe it to be unsafe and unpredictable when someone just lays down and moves over.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
+1 Mike. Wholeheartedly agree and I'm pretty new to this!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Duncan,

Great job for a first race! Gotta stay out of trouble to ditch the orange stickers and get your full license. Wind that baby up to red line (won't hurt it a bit) to get the feel for it, and then dial it back a bit to stay off the limiter. Lots more power available at the upper end of the revs.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Thanks Juan. I'm coming your way later this year. Moving from Virginia to Monterey California in June.

Duncan

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Not only a higher hp car, but a higher hp AWD car. :) Big adjustment for me. Picture of the last car.

Posted Image

Duncan

I can see why braking is such an issue for you, most of the time SM is just a brush of the brakes and right back to full gas! You will get the hang of it though took me a season. And I'm betting you dont tach the car up as the old car was liable to get hurt running up to the limiter all the time. You almost can't hurt these pesky Miata's!

K. Webb