- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Mikhael Haddad

Mikhael Haddad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just spent my first day in the car, and my seat is getting uncomfortably hot. It got to the point where 15 min into the session i wanted to come off track because it became unbearable.

Im running a wide seat and had to move the tunnel closer to the exhaust.

The previous owner says its an SD exhaust, it looks nice but it has a large magnaflow which basically touches the tunnel right by where the seat is. (wondering if SD uses magnaflow). And theres not much room before it hits the torque arm (i think its called that), or I would contemplate moving the exhaust over.

I'd like to get into enduros at some point, and i need a comprehensive solution.

What are you guys doing as far as heat insulation, and are we allowed to wrap the exhaust?

Thanks

Mike

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

9.1.7.m.4.f exhaust system

1. f.  No portion of the exhaust may be wrapped with any type of insulating tape, nor shall any portion of the exhaust, internal or external, be coated with any thermal coatings. 

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

is it legal to put http://www.designeng...n tunnel/floor?

• Alberto likes this

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I think Jeff is saying it is legal to put heat insulating stuff on the tunnel both inside and out side the cockpit.  I have both and they definitely help.  If you want an alternative exhaust look into MBS the muffler is much further back and it is a great fit http://www.mandrelbe...1,-2002,/Detail  

Either way the tunnel gets hot but it should be tolerable.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I swapped from SD to MBS, not for heat reasons, but with the MBS muffler in the back (under the trunk), that would probably help you.

I don't know if one makes more HP than the other, but I was happier with the fit, quality and sound of the MBS.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

There is the possibility it's running too lean.  My car was quite comfortable even for enduros with the SD exhaust until I was able to lean mine out some and it immediately got hot at my right foot.  It might be worth checking that you're not running it too lean and making the exhaust too hot.  I have a wide aluminum seat that touches the transmission tunnel and my seat does not get hot at all.

• Kyle Keenan likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

There is the possibility it's running too lean.  My car was quite comfortable even for enduros with the SD exhaust until I was able to lean mine out some and it immediately got hot at my right foot.  It might be worth checking that you're not running it too lean and making the exhaust too hot.  I have a wide aluminum seat that touches the transmission tunnel and my seat does not get hot at all.

Interesting thought.  I am aware of using EGT for engine tuning.  I never thought of it as a way to adjust the cockpit environment.    :)

Rich in the summer lean in the winter  :scratchchin:

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Check for air leaks such as at the shift boot.  If they are in the right location they can change the air flow dramatically and dump a lot of heat into the car.  When i used to drive my car to the track in the winter i would unbolt the back two of the boot and then use a wedge under to control the 'heater' as i drove to the track.  I have raced in a lot of enduros and three 25 hour races, and they never get that hot, even without heat shield insulation. 

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Make sure the down pipe has the heat shield on it. I have seen many cars where this was removed when the car was still street driven.

make sure there are no holes in the firewall where hot air can enter the cockpit. And the shift boot as mentioned above.

We use   http://www.advanced-...asy to install.

Vent windows will blow outside air into the car. this may lower your overall interior temp. I often put the NACA duct style in the passenger side and the pop-out style in the driver side.

Dave

• Alberto likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mikhael Haddad

Mikhael Haddad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks a lot guys you have sparked a few ideas for me.

Some of you mentioned tuning, i'm under the impression that we are not allowed any ecu tuning/modification?

Hence the fuel pressure reg allowance.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

Correct, the ECU may not be modified.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

+1 to what Dave said about the heat shield on the downpipe.  The heat shield on mine was missing so I replaced the downpipe with a used one that I got off craigslist for $20. 

I used the DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield on the underside of the car on the tranny tunnel and right in front of where my feet go on the firewall.  Makes a HUGE difference.  You can install it with the engine and trans in the car - I did.  Just cut it into strips and pressed the pieces on.  Prep is important though.  I used the POR 15 cleaner / degreaser.  Worked very well.  Much better than the Purple Stuff I tried on another car.  My car's interior remains  comfortable even when racing in 100*F CA heat.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Exhaust shouldn't be touching anything except for the hangers.  You'll find temps will go way down even if there's a less than a half inch clearance.  Right now you butt's acting as the heat sink.  There is some tolerance differences with SD exhausts, so you may need some minor adjustments.  Loosen the downpipe to exhaust bolts and position so that even when you wiggle the exhaust, it doesn't bang against anything.  You may need to remove from the hangers and apply some pulling force to slightly bend the whole thing a little until you get the clearance you need.  Don't do this without the downpipe mount bracket long bolt in place.  It's really not that hard to fix, and that's coming from a non-mechanic type.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Don't do this without the downpipe mount bracket long bolt in place.

I realize this bracket is important but I curse those that leave it on when I crawl under their car at the track :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona
Umm sorry.....but I have cold beer
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Umm sorry.....but I have cold beer

I never say no to coffee or beer...but I've done some pretty crazy things for Tequilla(or was that after?) :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78
Exhaust shouldn't be touching anything except for the hangers.

That.

My car also has the big Sparco seat with a cut tunnel, and SD exhaust.  When you make that big seat sit straight and at the bottom, the SD exhaust will touch the "new" tunnel. 

The solution:  Remove the SD exhaust.  Take a big hammer,  hammer in that corner part of L shape tunnel until it's like 1/2 inch away.  It's just a small part you have to hammer in.  It may still make funny rattling noise when you start the car, but that's about it.   Plus, like already mentioned put insulation on inside and outside (outside will work better), and you're done. 

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

+2 on the heat shield.  First time I got in my car, my right foot sustained serious sunburn.  A downpipe with the proper heat shield fixed it.  That was a painful experience!

+1 to what Dave said about the heat shield on the downpipe.  The heat shield on mine was missing so I replaced the downpipe with a used one that I got off craigslist for $20. 

I used the DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield on the underside of the car on the tranny tunnel and right in front of where my feet go on the firewall.  Makes a HUGE difference.  You can install it with the engine and trans in the car - I did.  Just cut it into strips and pressed the pieces on.  Prep is important though.  I used the POR 15 cleaner / degreaser.  Worked very well.  Much better than the Purple Stuff I tried on another car.  My car's interior remains  comfortable even when racing in 100*F CA heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users