Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Many down testing and getting reading for eastern championships. First time for me on the Toyo RR. So far seems like a pretty good tire. Definitely harder to drive at the limit than the Hoosier, but fun. I tested yesterday and got all the time I need. I was wore out we were on track for half and hour every hour of the day. That is a lot of time.

If it rains today, I will likely get an early start on my drive home as i have a bunch to do there :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

It would be interesting if folks posted the good and the not so good with reference to front hubs/bearings. Yes, I understand some not so good could be from previous wear and tear.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

It looks like it was dry for qualifying.  

1.Steyn

2.Pombo

3.Drago

Good luck! 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
Drago did his lap on less than perfect tires and with no drafting partner. Unfortunately he missed 7:00 am drivers meeting information about leaving track at the first exit and going straight to impound. He will start 16th. Should make for some good race monitor watching as he comes through the field. Unfortunately I think Danny and Pombo will work together and check out before he will be able to give chase.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

I guess full course caution yesterday.  Race Monitor kept it green the entire race.  Anyways it looks like you have good weather for the race today.

The results show the only guy racing in PTB got DQ'd  :dope:   First to last in the tech shed I guess.

10:20am All Racer Meeting  :)

I didn't see James Drago in Sunday Qualifying?

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37

I guess full course caution yesterday.  

Unfortunately, that's been my experience with the Lightning races at Rd Atlanta.  Every race there (not exaggerating) went either FCY for multi-laps or red (twice).  The enduros seemed to be a little better there but invariably a SpecE30 or two would collect one another at T10A or T3 at each event I ran.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

James is home and wiped out. Two flats on same side of trailer at 1:30am and didnt get int until 4 am. Suddenly the decision to drive all the way doesnt seem like such a good one. :(

I definitely need a handler at these NASA races.. I am not good at catching these meetings and it appears they actually tell you some info that you need in them :) 

Not only did I miss Impound, but drove around 15 minutes before I found it. Also thought they waved off the start as NASA starts at the end of the front straight, not the S/f flag stand :)  

I got a pretty good handle on the RR tires, I liked the tire. You really have to drive the tire and it definitely puts more back in the drivers hands.  

Nice to see Matt Pombo back in a SM, congrats on the win and to Danny for a solid second. 

Thanks to Chris Haldeman and the X factor guys for lending a hand when needed as I was there all alone.  The test day was tiring 30 minutes on track, 30 minutes off. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

That's a rough trip. 

I like that location for the start.  Everyone starts on flat ground.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Danny needs to post video of why mixed class racing could be catastrophic.

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Danny needs to post video if why mixed class racing could be catastrophic.

I sure couldn't tell what was happening from Race Monitor. 

Congrats to Jonathan, Case, and Danny.  It sounds like survival was an accomplishment as well.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Danny needs to post video if why mixed class racing could be catastrophic.

Mixed class racing is always going to be a part of club racing. Most of us hate it, most mixed with us hate it. The only solution is to keep our numbers strong enough to make sure we have our own group. We have seen lots of carnage in mixed class groups this year.  There was a VERY large disparity of cars, speeds and talent levels in that field which is usually a pretty good recipe for mishaps. I passed one roadster into 10 while coming through the field, he drove straight off the track thinking I would not make the corner and hit him  :)

I enjoyed the NASA race, I think Jim Pantas does a good job as does Jay Shroud. I deserved the DQ for not reporting immediately to impound as it was my fault for skipping the meeting and not knowing where impound was. The party Saturday night was a very nice, as was the trophy presentation. I usually dont go to those things, but I think it is nice to show your face and congratulate the winners etc. It was a good time. 

Congrats to Jonathan, Case, and Danny for Sundays podium. 

Jim 

• john mueller likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I was so mesmerized by Danny's video I didn't even realize the reason Czarny was so excited was that he won, congratulations Johnathan.  Congrats also to Case Crowell and Danny for a good recover after the turn 1 incident.  

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

https://www.youtube....LlU&app=desktop

Danny, don't remember how we got onto the Hot/Crazy scale discussion, something to do with photographing beautiful women that may or may not be difficult to deal with.  

• tferranti likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :rotfl:

Excellent Michael!!  That has got to be one of the funniest videos ever posted here! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I was so mesmerized by Danny's video I didn't even realize the reason Czarny was so excited was that he won, congratulations Johnathan.  Congrats also to Case Crowell and Danny for a good recover after the turn 1 incident.  

Is this posted?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Is this posted?

Not, yet, I hope Danny does post the half lap that nearly cost him a car. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :rotfl:

Excellent Michael!!  That has got to be one of the funniest videos ever posted here! 

I saw that.. It was really good.. so funny because it is so true!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29

I saw that.. It was really good.. so funny because it is so true!

Waaay funny! I think my fiancé is doing just fine on the Hot axis and may be in just under the crazy line. I don't think I will be showing her this video, because my racing budget has moved me into the "NO GO ZONE"
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
On my way to Brazil. Have lots of very entertaining video to post but it will have to wait a week. On the flight home Kim and I watched the hot crazy axis, and Kim just about peed her pants. Frickin way too funny.

Congrats to Mat for a triumphant return to SM. Also to Drago for a great race to the podium from DFL. And especially to Jonathon and Crowley for the top two steps on the podium in R2. And a huge thanks to Crowley for missing me by mere mm where I dodged a HUGE bullet.

Fun video to come; passing a viper through the downhill esses, and lots more fun stuff.

Bye the way NASA SE. Most awesome test day ever!!!! Thanks. 9 X 30 min test sessions. So much tire data gained. Also totally snagged that night.

Thanks to Jay Stroud for the tightly run SM class and to the entire NASA SE crew who put on a great event.

Huge thanks to my team OPM, Rossini Racing Engines, Carbotech Brakes, and Traqmate Data.

But most especially to my wife Kim who is actually below the 4 Crazy axis and is most definitely not a unicorn nor a tranny!!
  • Jim Drago likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

bmw251

bmw251

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
Anyone wanting to talk about toyo needing or wanting less camber than Hoosier or any other setup differences... Maybe after the NASA championships people will be will to talk about.

Thanks
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users