nessus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:-1

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 92 5-speed miata. The plan is to slowly build it up to be a spec miata so I can race competively, but along the way I want to take the car to more track day events to bring up my racing experience.

Konwing the goal I have decided to keep the car as close to spec as possible, except for the time being, I want to use regular street legal tires first before moving on to slicks.

The spec miata wheel I have picked out is Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 25mm offset. This seems to be the popular wheels pop up in almost all wheel related posts. Another one is D-Force, which seems be to out of stock everywhere.

The idea is to keep these wheels later for Hoosier spec miata tires. But for my current track day usage, can anyone recommand a set of rubbers that I can use? Perferrable street drivable, I would like to drive my miata to work as long as I possibly can. Love the car!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Hi everyone,
 I have recently purchased a 92 5-speed miata. The plan is to slowly build it up to be a spec miata so I can race competively,

I do not know what you mean when you say, race competively. If you were to look at the cars entered for SCCA events you will find that the cars at the pointy end are overall no longer pre 1997 models.
Other than that, welcome to the Spec Miata racing world.

David Dewhurst

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Do you have to pop his bubble on the 2nd post, Dave?

NA's are competitive on the West coast, regionally.

Maybe take a look at the Toyo R888, pretty slickish for track but still DOT for street.

J~

• Jim Drago likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You will enjoy the car and Sm. You might also look at the TR motorsports wheels at the tire rack. thy are nice looking wheels and probably the least expensive wheels out there. 

Jim

• Alberto and RussMcB like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
The Toyo RA1 was the SM tire for many years. It is still the spec tire for some SCCA regional classes and the rain tire for NASA SM. It's also fine as a street tire, or at least I assume so since there's a street car in the parking lot of my office wearing RA1s. 

And +1 to what Jim and Johnny said. Plenty of people are competitive and having a blast in '92s. Welcome to SM. You'll love it.

• Alberto likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

nessus

nessus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I do not know what you mean when you say, race competively. If you were to look at the cars entered for SCCA events you will find that the cars at the pointy end are overall no longer pre 1997 models.
Other than that, welcome to the Spec Miata racing world.

David Dewhurst

Ha, my words are misleading.

Entering SCCA event ---> racing competitively

Entering a track day event ---> not racing competitively

I think I used the word incorrectly (English is my 2nd language). To me drving in a track day event, where passes are only allowed in designated sections with leading driver's permission, is not "racing competitively". :)

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

The TRM wheels are great and relatively cheap.

Maybe you could find someone to sell you their used Hoosier SM7 race tires.  Supposedly, they are good for a larger number of heat cycles.  That might be a win/win/win...

Good luck.  There's a great chance you're going to love SM racing.  Great cars, great competition, lots of opportunities to have fun.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

nessus

nessus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks guys for the inputs!

Before posting this question, I did a bit research. It seems there are two schools of thoughts on this:

a ) Get a set of tires as close to spec tires as possible to get a feel how its going to be.

b )Get less grippy tires, say a set of high performance summer tires. This is more for beginner racers, to reach the tire's limits sooner to get a feel how the car reacts when it reaches the limit, where with spec tires its more difficult to do.

Is b ) non-sense to you guys? The reason I ask is because this option is more appealing to me, I am a beginer racer (about 7 track day worth of experience so far), having summer tires also means street drivibility and cheaper to buy. Mind you that I only plan on taking this car to track day events for the next 1 or 2 years before I consider entering SCCA event.

nessus

nessus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You will enjoy the car and Sm. You might also look at the TR motorsports wheels at the tire rack. thy are nice looking wheels and probably the least expensive wheels out there. 

Jim

If its cheap I am all over for it. But I only see them come in as 30mm or 20mm. I thought 25mm was the best fit.

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

The Toyo RA1 was the SM tire for many years. It is still the spec tire for some SCCA regional classes and the rain tire for NASA SM. It's also fine as a street tire, or at least I assume so since there's a street car in the parking lot of my office wearing RA1s. 

And +1 to what Jim and Johnny said. Plenty of people are competitive and having a blast in '92s. Welcome to SM. You'll love it.

I too have a street car with RA 1's, and they are just fine for daily driving.  When you go to the track just make sure your tire pressure is right, it helps keep them from chunking (I assume you will order full tread, I would).  Welcome to Spec Miata, please disregard every other part of your life now:)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

If its cheap I am all over for it. But I only see them come in as 30mm or 20mm. I thought 25mm was the best fit.

You will never be able to feel the difference in 5 mm per side.....

• Alberto likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA