lx93

lx93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:northeast
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:83

hello guys this is my very first post here, and i have done some research on this topic. Ive started racing spec miata this year with NASA, and have done a few races now. My car is teched with NASA earlier this year. I do have a SCCA logbook of this car from 2009 but the car hasnt been teched by SCCA since then. I have never ran with SCCA, so before i go out for the event next week, I would like to see if there is any differences in safety requirements.

I heard someone mentioned SCCA does not allow the passenger seat to be installed, is that true? other than this I couldnt think of anything that might obviously fail me. any other differences between SCCA and NASA on this?

Cheers :toast:

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

A tech legal NASA car should be a tech Legal SCCA car...  If you have specifics you can reach out to me.  I know a little about both ;)

Be prepared to remove (or cover) the other sanctioning body stickers when participating in an event...its in the rules and its a courtesy....

• svvs likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
If your racing strctly Spec Miata, what about tires. NASA Toyo, SCCA Hoosier. Mike???
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

I've heard the passenger seat will be a problem- the GCR notes that it needs to be removed, but I've seen a few cars with them at my local events.  I had a seat in my car for DEs, but removed it since I had to add ballast anyway.  

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I know NASA requires the drivers seat to have head bolsters (halo seat) or a center/right side net.  Also, drivers must use some sort of Head & Neck device (HANS, REV, Hutches, etc...)

I'm not sure about SCCA requirement but in the past they and other organizations did not require these items just to get a log book...  So you should be good.

• Killian likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Tires are different...however I could get an annual on the car with Sears roadhandlers...  The tires only matter when you go on the track...

Nasa does have stricter halo seat/right side net rules...thus "if your car is NASA legal it will be SCCA legal...  The right side seat is up to whoever the tech inspector is and if the want to jerk you around or not....

• john mueller likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Tires are different...however I could get an annual on the car with Sears RoadHandlers... 

SMSRH , I like it !!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

lx93

lx93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:northeast
  • Car Number:83

thanks guys, i think my car is pretty much all set minus the passenger seat removal. i will leave it on there unless the tech tells me to remove it. for tires, i have hoosier SM6 from last year, so i should still be able to use them, if i remembering correctly, before 2015 season?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

i have hoosier SM6 from last year, so i should still be able to use them, if i remembering correctly, before 2015 season?

Just to be safe check on the SM6 check with someone from the sponsoring region. The SM6 was only SCCA good for maye the first three races during 2014. Because I have RA1 nad SM6, I race SMT in the SCCA CenDiv.

Have Fun  :bigsquaregrin:

David Dewhurst

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mvzante

mvzante

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:44

I race SMT in the SCCA CenDiv.

I believe you can also run in STL, STU, ITA, and maybe others that don't require you to run SM7's, so you don't necessarily need to run out and buy new tires just to race.  In my area one of those groups is usually placed with SM, yours might be different tho.  Just because you have a SM doesn't mean you are limited to SM.  If your body, mind, car, and wallet can handle extra run groups for the weekend join them for the track time and experience.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

A couple of things. There may be more but these are the ones I usually run into.

SCCA does not require a seat back brace for FIA seats unless they are on sliders. SCCA does not expire FIA seats. NASA requires a seat back brace for expired FIA seats.

NASA expires window nets. SCCA does not. Both require SFI tags on the window net, SCCA does not require a date on the window net.

Oh yeah... right side head restraint is required for NASA. Either a Halo seat or right side net. SCCA does not require right side head restraints though they do recommend what they refer to as inside nets for production cars. 

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

NASA expires window nets. SCCA does not.      SCCA does not require a date on the window net.

They do in my SCCA region.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Well then you should refer them to this section of the GCR: 

9.3.54. WINDOW SAFETY NETS
Window safety nets shall be used on the driver’s side window of all 
closed cars. All window nets shall meet SFI Specification 27.1., and shall 
bear an “SFI Spec 27.1., Label” to that effect. (Note: Window nets need 
not be dated.) 

They do in my SCCA region.

• mvzante likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Sm6 is legal for entire 2014 Season except at major events.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

:blush: Sorry about that.

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

I heard this past weekend that the SEDiv SARRC series requires SM7's, but not sure if that's true since I just perused the SARRC rules and didn't see that mentioned.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

After doing tech for 3+ years for NASA the biggest issue i see, especially with SCCA cars, SM or otherwise, who come to race in NASA, is gaps in the cage welding.  NASA has a very strict rule of no gaps in the welds.   I also tend to be very particular as to the quality of the welds.

The published rulebook differences have already been pretty well covered by others.

I still contend NASA should have a rule to have circuit protection at the battery for cars like the miata with the battery at the back and the stock fuses at the front.....especially considering some of the whacky kill switch wiring ive seen over the years...but that rule addition request was ultimately rejected by Jerry.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

Seeing as how the person asking the question is here in NEDiv, I will chime in with the pedantic answer(s) for this divison.  :)

SM6's are permitted in non-Divisional Championship series events.

Next question: what is a Divisional Championship series event?  

A race where finishing points are accrued towards a Divisional Title.

Last question: what is a Divisional Title (NEDiv Champion)?

A race series with events wholly contained within a division and alternatively a method of attaining Runoffs qualification without entering Majors events.

Now, notwithstanding the above, there is another series within the NEDiv named The Pro-IT Series which allows all IT-based classes and SM to run a mixed race group event of longer durations for both qualifying (30 minutes) and races (45 minutes).  Regarding SM tires, the series administrators have allowed ANY current or previously legal SM tire to participate and earn points.  This means RA-1, R-888, RR, SM6, SM7 are all allowed to race and ear points towards the Pro-IT title.

I hope that didn't confuse anyone with regards to SM tires in NEDiv events.

Now, I do hope to see you entered in the Glen Region's Last Chance event the first weekend in October!

HTH,

Brandon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users