• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I figured one should be started cuz I'm sure there will be a discussion.

For the record, I'm proud of the plan John Adamczyk and I put together.  Given the level of noise that is out there but not seen publicly I feel we have it covered to the best of the current rule set.

The first Qualifying race just finished...  Despite what Danny said in an other thread, TECH really starts NOW....

Bring tools y'all.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
So where and what's the tech. I'm confused, all I know is SMACK.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

so far so good. I think all is going well. I really would like to be able to check tire pressures, especially after warmup and qualifying. It is so friggin hot and track temps so high .. getting tores sorted has not been as easy as it should be. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Tire pressures should have been allowed at Fridays warm up session and should have on pit lane during qualifying. Post Qual races I recommend not doing it....
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

So where and what's the tech. I'm confused, all I know is SMACK.

Can't disclose anything until after the Championship race results go official and still dyno results will probably remain confidential. We're not a power to weight class so it's just data points to compare and to look for outliers... I learned my lesson last year.
Regardless, I'll post what we did very soon after the race. Like I said before I'm pleased with our plan, unprecedented for SM in NASA for at least the past 11yrs.
  • Charlie Hayes likes this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Qual Race #2
(Unofficial results)

1. Pombo
2. Steyn
3. Bolanos
4. Tsiounis
5. Czarny
6. Crowell
7. McCallion
8. Clements
9. T.Reger
10. Mr. Drago

Bring crew with tools, jacks and Jack stands. Drivers bring a chair, it's gonna be a while.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

The 2014 NASA SM Rules on the web site left off the jointly used SCCA shock spec for some reason (we've tried to fix it a few times).  Anyway, for those who want to know that the spec is here is a link.

http://scca.cdn.race...CIFICATIONS.pdf

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10

You're all welcome.

• john mueller likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Hi John

not sure what transpired, but to be honest I do believe that all the drivers should get to see their results. They can choose to share or not, and most will. I personally believe that transparency is good for the class. Once again just my opinion for what its worth.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Hi John
not sure what transpired, but to be honest I do believe that all the drivers should get to see their results. They can choose to share or not, and most will. I personally believe that transparency is good for the class. Once again just my opinion for what its worth.

I agree, but not when folks don't understand what they are being used for. Of all the folks who should understand an engine/ car build should be the first.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Congrats Alex.  Now the man drama begins...

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I don't expect any drama. The top 5 should be legal a d they were very comparable. Some of those guys did not have the fastest cars on the track, those were mid packers.

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

1518101_10204946432167539_19359565232310

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

I left around 7.30pm on Sunday, having been cleared through tech by head NASA tech and the SM guys. Both Alex's engine and Mat's engine were already torn down and in the tech shed and I have no doubt that they passed as well. Really great to see everyone working together and lending a hand to get the cars torn apart. Huge props to Alex and his dad for doing the tear down themselves. Alex you have my respect and admiration on every level.

Things that were teched after the race were

1. Weight
  2. Dyno (3rd time for me - 126Hp / 112 TQ which as far as I know was right in the mix with Mat and Alex. 
  3. Whistle
  4. Restrictor
  5. Intake manifold
  6. Exhaust manifold
  7. Head plunge cuts / relief cuts
  8. Cam profiles and pin location
  9. Flywheel

HUGE HUGE thanks to Mike Rossini for delaying his trip back to NC to help pull my engine down ably supported by Ryan Downtown and Tom Fowler

John Mueller - I had already suggested to the top NASA guys that any class like SM that requires significant post race tech gets to race in the morning or preferably on Saturday, just in case there are any issues that need appealing. We made three flight changes to deal with the tech delay.

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Here are some photos of the tech yesterday....

2014-nasa-championships-post-race-tech-0

• Lee Thomas and RussMcB like this

Danny

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Really cool event overall.  Congrats to Alex, Danny, and Mathew on their podium finishes!  What a fun race to watch.  As Danny said, watching Alex and his dad tear down their engine together in tech with their 300pc toolset from Harbor Freight was really the epitome of what club racing is supposed to be all about... good family fun.  

The whole concept of mandatory dyno sessions after each session was a great idea, and really helped to give all of the competitors some degree of comfort that they had as fair a chance as anyone else.  Everyone was handed out their dyno sheets at the Mazda banquet on Saturday and pretty much everyone shared their results openly.  Of the 8 cars sent for mandatory testing on Friday and Saturday, all were in the 123-126HP, except for one car that came up at 131.5 (obviously an erroneous set of pulls).  Jim, did the dyno guys ever give you an explanation as to why that happened?  

Regardless, it would be great to see the same thing at the Runoffs.  

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I watched Jim's pull. My opinion is the car was not straight and had one strap only on one side. Hp was high trq was low. Maybe diff out or tire spin? Not sure not a procedure I am willing too test. I and all others I know do there best too always strap the same tire pressure the same ect
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
One thing we will have the same dyno and same operator at scca runoffs
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

).  Jim, did the dyno guys ever give you an explanation as to why that happened?  

I never asked for an explanation. They ran my car with only one strap on the rear, it was left side dyno to right rear of my car. (diagonal)  The car weaved across the roller at lower rpms and settled in one spot at higher rpms. The numbers made little sense as HP was very high, almost 132 and TQ only 112. My best guess.... lower rpms when peak tq is recorded the car was wandering back and forth on drum? ( low TQ) and at high RPM, the car settled in one spot with little strapping load( one strap) and allowed it to make more peak HP? Just a guess. 

I pointed out the strap while they were dynoing the car... I was told " that strap will hold a 500 hp car" So much for procedure and consistency. IMO, the car would have been 2-3 better than "average" as the car was a rocket Thursday and Friday and has been for awhile. I needed that HP on Sunday as it was definitely the slowest of the top 6 cars. :(  Hopefully just intake butterflies. It will be on dyno tomorrow morning.  So we will see.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Here are some photos of the tech yesterday.

love the photos!

nice to see a significant tear down along with everyone helping out.  bet we'd never see pics like this in at the SCCA runoffs......

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users