Dperreault

Dperreault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Mid-west
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:07
Hello, new to the fourm but not miatas. I have a 95 that I'm ready to pass on to someone else. I just bought a 99 with 81,000 miles and the torsen diff. So, now I'm ready to start building my car. I would like to eventually race in the COMMA series at Hallett Motor Raceway. Currently i have been a regular at HST for several years. I have squeezed out as much speed from my 95 I can without rebuilding the engine. I know the 99 is a much better platform for creating a Spec Miata so selling the 95 and starting fresh with the 99 seemed like a no brainer. Especially since it has a nice fresh 81,000 mile engine.

So ultimately my question is, if I'm able to get the discount from Mazdaspeed what kind of discount are we talking about. I see on line Spec Miata suspensions goes for about $1500-$1700. What sort of difference is there with the discount?

My big problem is the lack of money to build the car right now. This is something that will probably take a year or more to build the car so I can race. I would love to get the discount but I won't be able to race for some time until the car is complete. What is your advice. Thanks.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

The Spec suspension is pretty much sold the same by all vendors including Mazdaspeed(price differences can be related to extra items included or not usually). The discount you will receive from Mazdaspeed will be on stock parts...never done the math but maybe 15-30%?

If you are going to build/buy one item at a time, make sure you get the dated items last!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dperreault

Dperreault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The Spec suspension is pretty much sold the same by all vendors including Mazdaspeed(price differences can be related to extra items included or not usually). The discount you will receive from Mazdaspeed will be on stock parts...never done the math but maybe 15-30%?

If you are going to build one item at a time, make sure you get the dated items last!

Thanks. That makes sence.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Basicly, Maxdaspeed makes you a car dealer and sells to you at dealer cost.

Example:

A Knutson valve retails at the local Mazda dealer for $100.

As a repair shop I would buy it from the local Mazda dealer at a wholesale cost of $75

As a Mazdaspeed member I would buy it for $60 direct from Mazda, which is the same price the local dealer would pay

Note, You can only buy parts for the car you race (Make Model and year) only. As well as only in individual quantities. Some non-OEM parts are available through Mazdaspeed (Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, etc) at a competitive rate.You will pay tax and shipping costs.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dperreault

Dperreault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can I safely assume that all spec miatas have to run the same spring rates and bilstein shock. I heard that this set up is not the greatest. Right now my 95 has Tein street advance and I love the way it handles on the road course. In fact the car handles better than my buds cars and they have Tein reflex. On my new 99' I'd like to put the specmiata kit so its ready to go when I fully race it out. Would you all recommend that?

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

A "Knutson valve"

That's inside the framistat housing, next to the hymulator, right?

• Mike Collins likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Can I safely assume that all spec miatas have to run the same spring rates and bilstein shock. I heard that this set up is not the greatest. Right now my 95 has Tein street advance and I love the way it handles on the road course. In fact the car handles better than my buds cars and they have Tein reflex. On my new 99' I'd like to put the specmiata kit so its ready to go when I fully race it out. Would you all recommend that?

Now your crossing the line of silly questions  <_< Find the GCR on the SCCA website and start reading the SM section...all the info you will need is there! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:08

Example:

Geez. I can get them online for $20. http://kalecoauto.co...&products_id=47

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Example:

As a repair shop I would buy it from the local Mazda dealer at a wholesale cost of $75

As a Mazdaspeed member I would buy it for $60 direct from Mazda, which is the same price the local dealer would pay

Note, You can only buy parts for the car you race (Make Model and year) only. As well as only in individual quantities. Some non-OEM parts are available through Mazdaspeed (Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, etc) at a competitive rate.You will pay tax and shipping costs.

Dave

Dave,

So are the race/repair shops(guys who primarily do SM) paying a little more through Mazdaspeed to buy parts for our cars? Based on what you said I as the car owner would get a better price than the guy who builds our engines?

Ron

RAmotorsports

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I pay the same price as any individual who bought their own parts from Mazdaspeed. On the rare times that I buy from a dealer, it costs more than if I order from Mazdaspeed.  The only difference is quantity. Mazda allows me to buy in quantity as long as the parts are for a registered member. just imagine the paperwork involved (plus multiple shipping charges) If I had to order every little part under an individual drivers name. For example, I just recieved 6 coolant hose kits and 3 suspension bushing kits for cars we are building.

The agreement is that nothing can be sold retail. You will notice that I do not sell Mazda oem products on my website. I strictly adhere to this policy. I buy direct from companies like Bilstein, Eibach, Hawk, etc. which changes the entire cost matrix.

For the typical SM racer, mazdaspeed is the best source for OEM parts. Their customer service and knowledge is fantastic. Thanks guys

Dave

• Mike Collins, Ron Alan and Chris Thompson like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:08
For the typical SM racer, mazdaspeed is the best source for OEM parts. Their customer service and knowledge is fantastic. Thanks guys

Dave

The whole mazdaspeed operation blows me away. It's spectacular to be able to talk to folks that know the car if you have questions about what to order.

As a Mazdaspeed member, you're ordering from the same warehouses as the dealer. They don't mark up shipping, and stuff ships quick. They just recently made a change that sets your default warehouse to the closest location to your zip code (whereas before most things used to ship from CA). Now I get things UPS ground in 2 days.

• Keith Novak and RussMcB like this

Dperreault

Dperreault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Now your crossing the line of silly questions <_< Find the GCR on the SCCA website and start reading the SM section...all the info you will need is there!

I don't think my question was silly at all. I am familiar with some of the spec Miata rules I was just asking if I should buy some Tein Reflexes for now and then buy the Bilstein set up. As others have replied the Bilstien set up is fixed and will be quite harsh on the streets. The Tein's are adjustable. Seems a reasonable question to me.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

First off I am not bad mouthing Mazdaspeed. its a wonderful thing that they care and they give us support. As said above, the kicker in a spec sport is you have no choice but to buy OEM Mazda parts.

We do get better or as good a price as the dealers, but there are some parts that could be found after market that are good or better for less, but just not legal unless the rules allow it.

Piston rings comes to mind.

But the service is fantastic quick shipping and a genuine desire to help you.

You just have to get the hang of ordering parts getting the numbers right with the on line system or if you order by phone be sure you are giving good information. I have made a few mistakes in part orders.

The problem with Aftermarket stuff, when its open source, is you have to know about the quality, Mazda is good stuff.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Every time I have tried the after market parts I have been disappointed. The Mazda stuff seems to be the best. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I don't think my question was silly at all. I am familiar with some of the spec Miata rules I was just asking if I should buy some Tein Reflexes for now and then buy the Bilstein set up. As others have replied the Bilstien set up is fixed and will be quite harsh on the streets. The Tein's are adjustable. Seems a reasonable question to me.

My reference was to all running the same spring rate and shocks...bottom line is when you cant find answers to your questions in the written rules...then come back and ask! We ran our spec suspension on the street and track days for a year before we finished the car...no issues

Ron

RAmotorsports

Dperreault

Dperreault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

My reference was to all running the same spring rate and shocks...bottom line is when you cant find answers to your questions in the written rules...then come back and ask! We ran our spec suspension on the street and track days for a year before we finished the car...no issues

Right, when I said all spec Miatas run the same spring rates i meant front 700lbs and rear 400lbs. Not sure of the exact numbers but you get the gest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users