- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

aholmes23

aholmes23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have searched every keyword I can think of on this forum and can't seem to find anything usable for my question--

I started out driving Honda's about 8 years ago. I started to race prep one for the Honda Challenge and attended a few HPDEs. Unfortunately it as all cut short by some thieves with a tow truck. Anyhow, I am at it again and this time would like to participate in Spec Miata. I have looked a several fully prepped cars for sale and unfortunately they are out of my cash purchase range and would be for a while. I am now looking into buy a used Miata and slowly turning it into a Spec car while I attend HPDEs with it and get my NASA race license. Now, my only real question in this post is what is your opinion on which chassis/year to start with? The 1.6's and 1.8's between 1990 and 1996 all seem to be hovering around the same $2000 to $3000 price. In my research, I believe I would be best served with a 94 to 96 with the torsen diff so I don't have to upgrade it later, but I think I just wanted confirmation (or not) on that thought process before I dropped 8 to 10k on my first car only to learn I made a rookie mistake at the chassis selection stage.

Thanks everyone!

Also--- if you know the thread that has beginner info in it like this, just send me a link and I will be more than happy to read it myself.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

If you are in it for the long haul and want the most reliable and chassis longevity, I would only buy a 99 and up.

If you are just looking for the cheapest way to go racing, not considering the additional costs to make the car a front runner, then the earlier models will do.

I thought there were some cars prices very reasonable of the early models in the classifieds.  You should consider those if you just want to get into it.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

aholmes23

aholmes23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

James-- Thanks for the quick reply. I think the initial costs of the 99 and up chassis are in my way. Of the earlier models, are there any ones that stand out as better than the rest? Also, I'm looking to only doing regional races, nothing national. Unless I hit the lottery the costs of traveling outside my local races are just too high.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
There are a few things to consider, while The earlier year cars my be less expensive to purchase they may not be cheaper to build. The parts are going to be harder to find, the older the car. You may spend more up front for a 99, but you will get more bang for the buck, and it is likely also going to have a higher resale value, as it is the car to have at the moment.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
1.6 requires you to drive on the edge of knife for 40 minutes to be competitive. Few newer drivers to the class have that kind of mentality and focus. Kids or adults coming out of Karts can do it. The NA 1.8 has the torque to cover up some of those mistakes. The 99 has even more torque and feels like a Cadillac compares to the 1.6. I can rip off some very quick laps in a 1.6 but I struggle to race it fast on certain tracks that have big penalties, ie long straights after a technical section that demands perfect exit. Budget sounds like a key element of your quest to race, so a good safe NA (1.6 or 1.8) that is in good shape should be within your budget.
  • tripplej93 likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

This topic has been started a dozen times. There is lots of info here...keep looking. In short...not that i think or know anything may happen but you should wait a few months until the 2015 rules come out! Buy a car that fits your budget...and gets you on track! If you are in CA there are a few cars here for under $6k!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Just saying in general it costs more to build a SM than buy an used one.  Yes you can defer costs if you build it over a year, but spending an extra couple $k over 18 months isn't really saving money IMHO.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

This has been discussed every couple months for the past 10 years. Search, you will find the same people giving the same answers.

My advice:

Read and understand what the rule book says for the club you plan on racing with.

Buy my book, read and understand the parts about buying a used cars.

Read this website a lot. All you questions have been answered before.

Repeat steps 1-2 and 3

Make friends with your local SM prep shop. He probably knows where a car is available that will fit your budget constraints.

Building a car is the most expensive way to go.

Buying a used POS racecar is the second most expensive way to go. And the most depressing

Have your new friend at the local shop inspect whatever you buy. he will likely spot things that you never will.

Repeat steps 1-2 and 3

Buy the best deal you can for your budget. Do not worry about what year or engine. Go for safe, reliable and then performance.

Dave

• svvs, Jim Drago, tferranti and 1 other like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

This has been discussed every couple months for the past 10 years. Search, you will find the same people giving the same answers.

My advice:

Read and understand what the rule book says for the club you plan on racing with.

Buy my book, read and understand the parts about buying a used cars.

Read this website a lot. All you questions have been answered before.

Repeat steps 1-2 and 3

Make friends with your local SM prep shop. He probably knows where a car is available that will fit your budget constraints.

Building a car is the most expensive way to go.

Buying a used POS racecar is the second most expensive way to go. And the most depressing

Have your new friend at the local shop inspect whatever you buy. he will likely spot things that you never will.

Repeat steps 1-2 and 3

Buy the best deal you can for your budget. Do not worry about what year or engine. Go for safe, reliable and then performance.

Dave

+ 1.. 

such good advice and for whatever reason so hard to follow.. I was given the same advice multiple times and still went against the advice! I felt i knew more at the time than I did.  Listen to the guys who have made all the mistakes, learn from them.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

+ 1.. 

I felt i knew more at the time than I did.

You stated this in the past tense, do you think you have that problem solved :tipsy:

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You stated this in the past tense, do you think you have that problem solved :tipsy:

Good point.. definitely should not have been in the past tense! :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

One point of clarification is where you are based/located.  Your profile picture/details don't show an area otherwise we could give you some recommendations on where to go to both meet builders but possibly people selling their own cars.

End of the season is a good time to start the search and come January/February, at least here in the NE, some significant deals come to pass as people try to move their "no-longer-needed second racecar".

Good advice provided above & best of luck to you!

Brandon

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users