Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94

Sorry Jim, there is no "gray area" in this rule or anything that needs to be clarified.  Do you think that for one second that SCCA would toss 8 competitors from their most popular class at the premier event over an insignificant grey area that wasn't clear??  Give me a damn break!

The rules are very clear and that is why you did not win your appeal.  The rules specifically ALLOW a plunge cut and NOTHING else.  The only reason you haven't been tossed before is because tech hasn't been looking for it.  I wonder why they haven't been looking for it??? 

What pisses me off the most about this is the fact that we (legal cars) have been running at a disadvantage to these cheats for a number of years.  Cheaters have been walking away with contingencies they do not deserve. 

If you thought there might be something that needed to be clarified why didn't you ask for a clarification??  Seems like someone in your position might be able to get the answers if you were confused about the rules.

Unbelievable.

Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

- We might be able to keep our engines for a few seasons instead of having to change them or rebuild them every year in order to stay at the top.

Yiannis

It's a machine.  And not a perpetual friction-less one.  Losses will occur and as long as there are losses due to wear there is incentive to rebuild it more frequently.  Removing or adding rules or nudging toward a "crate" engine (What does this even mean?) won't solution the issue.

"Magic is practicing a trick longer than the audience thinks is worth while." - Penn Jillette.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Car Year:1996

Denny that is a lie! If true you would already be running b-spec, or what you consider to be the messia of all classes sm5...

... a little off topic but Kyle did you notice the avatar pic used by Mr. Dickweed?  Kinda one-ups (or should I say two-ups) your Farrah pic. 

• Mike Collins, Glenn, Bench Racer and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

What's the likelihood of SCCA Enterprises being the sole source of head(s) for our class?  

Is that too much of a production challenge for their "small operation" considering the forthcoming SRF v3?

Could other rule changes be implemented to facilitate everyone settling on a single engine going forward if SCCA-E could supply a single head (01+ VVT for example)?

I'm thinking of my idea about putting all years on the same spec line (permitting full update/backdate across 90-05) and settling on a 2400# weight w/the restrictor.

Permitting 90-00 a specified aftermarket chassis bracing to bring them to the same level as the 02+ as well.

Give that a couple years to shake-out and then can move towards removing the restrictor or reducing weight.

Good idea/bad idea?

• pat slattery and Chad Martin like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Kyle, I would buy an SM5 in a heartbeat if I had the means - and the SM discussion would be rid of me for good.

I'm stuck with what I got - if I total it, it's game over for club racing.

Believe it or not there are a few poor bastards like myself that do not have a budget to support multiple cars, or owning the most East Street cars in the least amount of time.

Hard to fathom, eh?

Messiah (spellcheck is so easy a caveman could do it - or not)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Actually not hard to fathom... I am just pointing out that there already low cost alternatives to sm... I may even be looking into one or more of them albeit not because of what happened in the earthquake ravages state of cauliflower.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Debruning / deflashing is a standard machining practice and is required to remove small pieces of metal that are left from the machine process. The problem becomes the interpretation of when does deburing become blending. This situation is just a case of rules that are not clearly written and are in conflict with each other. A rewrite obviously will be in order and then we all can move on. This IMHO is not that big of a deal to specify/clarify what can be done. The part that is troubling is that 6 people that have put there best foot foward in the race are now not formally recognized for their efforts. Informally we all recognize who was the best on the day.
  • Muda, Todd Lamb and mellen like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Sorry Jim, there is no "gray area" in this rule or anything that needs to be clarified.  Do you think that for one second that SCCA would toss 8 competitors from their most popular class at the premier event over an insignificant grey area that wasn't clear??  Give me a damn break!

The rules are very clear and that is why you did not win your appeal.  The rules specifically ALLOW a plunge cut and NOTHING else.  The only reason you haven't been tossed before is because tech hasn't been looking for it.  I wonder why they haven't been looking for it??? 

What pisses me off the most about this is the fact that we (legal cars) have been running at a disadvantage to these cheats for a number of years.  Cheaters have been walking away with contingencies they do not deserve. 

If you thought there might be something that needed to be clarified why didn't you ask for a clarification??  Seems like someone in your position might be able to get the answers if you were confused about the rules.

Unbelievable.

Ken for those of us not in the know, how much of an advantage was this, do you have anything to quantify your statement. From the layman point of view it does not look like that it would make that big of a difference. am i wrong? if so, what is the difference.

I am not challenging your statement i am just trying to quantify what this really means.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

So, if I am reading Dan's post correctly, it contradicts Jim's post. Jim's position, as I understand it, is that you cannot plunge cut without taking material from the bowl area or blending because it would leave metal  burrs that could get sucked into the engine. Dan says that the round filing he used in the bowl area was a subjective call and was not absolutely necessary. If Dan is correct, then there is no contradiction in the rule and its not an issue of clarification, but simply, as Dan says, a judgment call, and in hindsight it was a bad call. Do I have this correct ? Anyone care to elaborate on this?

Debruning / deflashing is a standard machining practice and is required to remove small pieces of metal that are left from the machine process. The problem becomes the interpretation of when does deburing become blending. This situation is just a case of rules that are not clearly written and are in conflict with each other. A rewrite obviously will be in order and then we all can move on. This IMHO is not that big of a deal to specify/clarify what can be done. The part that is troubling is that 6 people that have put there best foot foward in the race are now not formally recognized for their efforts. Informally we all recognize who was the best on the day.

It is these very conflicting opinions that need to be hashed out here. To all - this is precisely the sort of question we should all be asking, discussing and debating. Not to throw anyone under the bus, but to openly and constructively discuss the difficult questions that are not being asked for the sake of not pissing someone off. We need to be asking the difficult questions. We need to discussing this and so much more, openly in this forum, so that when the new rules are formed, that they accurately reflect the wishes of the class. 

• Amy M likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MDixon

MDixon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:NorCal

As someone new to this class, I am so thankful that I spent the last 10 years in Spec racing (karting). If I hadn't I would be selling everything and running to the golf course. Same drama different vehicle.

• MPR22, Todd Lamb, Brian Ghidinelli and 1 other like this

Matt Dixon

Car owner/Checkbook

https://www.youtube....DRIVERforLIFE94

Jason Holland

Jason Holland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Georgia

The more I stay away the more things stay the same....  :)

I don't think the competitors were cheating but the circumstances of the class and how it's been allowed to "progress" have made them cheaters. 

I'm not up on the rules anymore and I don't know the details of what's happened here but the bottom line is, this class should have gone to sealed motors long ago and that's really the only way out of this mess. It's only going to get worse (Can it get worse than this last weekend?). It was time for a sealed spec motor back when I was involved. It's way past that time now but I think the competitors can use this incident (incidents?) as the impetus for real change. It might be time to get profit motives out of an amateur class. Now, back to my SM invisible hole.

Jason Holland

Retired

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Car Number:137

one exhaust relief cut found non compliant.

what's that mean?

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

what's that mean?

did not or could not pass the "go nogo" tool!

K. Webb