• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

You have no reason to apologize James! Glad you feel comfortable coming on and speaking up :thumbsup: Here is reaching out with a big internet hug in your direction  :grouphug:

Thanks Ron. You guys are my family and I sure would miss you if I didn't come on.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Runoffs appeals (and there were appeals) will likely be in the next Fastrack.

John, do you understand why they were sent to the rear of the line and not DQ'ed???

Opp's, you don't know Bench Racer. :bigsquaregrin:

Thanks

David Dewhurst

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

John Nesbitt

John Nesbitt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

I was not a party to the action, so I don't know what the basis was of the decision.

We shall just have to wait on the December Fastrack.

pmiranda

pmiranda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:TX

They have that class, it's called SRF. That is not what Spec Miata was ever meant to be.

So, if not a strict spec class, what is SM meant to be? single-make limited prep? 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

So, if not a strict spec class, what is SM meant to be? single-make limited prep? 

Oh, do we want to open this can of worms. :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Per SCCA GCR Section 9.1.7.A : 

A. PURPOSE AND INTENT
The Spec Miata (SM) class is intended to provide the membership with the
opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited
modifications, suitable for racing competition.

The rules are intentionally designed to be more open than the Showroom
Stock class but more restricted than the Improved Touring class.

The bolded text I think goes to the heart of some of the confusion regarding the SM rules. There is no mention of 'Spec' in the intent clause for the class. Because 'Spec' is part of the name of the class many people assume that SM IS a Spec class but it really is not and was never intended to be so though it seems it keeps moving more in that direction over time.  

Don't shoot the messenger :)

Mark

• dstevens and MDixon like this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Not my quote, may be Dragos, " we don't race Spec Miatas we race Similar Miatas."  

• MDixon likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Not my quote, may be Dragos, " we don't race Spec Miatas we race Similar Miatas."  

Not mine.. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67

Not mine.. 

So to be open what car do you run please adv

Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

:nonono:

Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

ok lets open real deal when did i miss the memo on the engine, computor, weel spacers, kunivila pin ooops no one is supposed to know that one

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Have a basic question for all when do we fix it . I will start today anyone on board ooops should have not used that one :help:

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
The only solution:
Remove all engine "builders" from Amateur SPEC Racing, and create true spec racing with one car, and sealed drive train.      
 They have that class, it's called SRF. That is not what Spec Miata was ever meant to be.

That's EXACTLY what the class WAS meant to be.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Posted #63 by Kyle Webb within thread, Should Mazda be directly involved in Spec Miata rules.

Copied to the thread because I stoped posting within this thread ^. 

"How can we be assured that anyone will actually throw their head away and replace? How can we enforce this rule without tear downs each weekend?"

There is a rule within Reasonable Protests, Preserving Evidence. Parts can be retained by the SCCA National. One tear down, found illegal with questions, send part to SCCA National office, found to be totally illegal part, do not return part to entrant, part out of circulation. :bigsquaregrin:  

Maybe that's where the Runoffs heads went.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That's EXACTLY what the class WAS meant to be.

I don't know what "it was supposed to be" as I didn't come up with it, wasn't there when it was. There have been bumps and bruises along the way, but what we have now is better than all the rest. Does it fit what all of us hoped "it should be" no.. But it is close enough and why we all continue to race here and no where else.
  • High Chair likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Posted #63 by Kyle Webb within thread, Should Mazda be directly involved in Spec Miata rules.

Copied to the thread because I stoped posting within this thread ^. 

"How can we be assured that anyone will actually throw their head away and replace? How can we enforce this rule without tear downs each weekend?"

There is a rule within Reasonable Protests, Preserving Evidence. Parts can be retained by the SCCA National. One tear down, found illegal with questions, send part to SCCA National office, found to be totally illegal part, do not return part to entrant, part out of circulation. :bigsquaregrin:  

Maybe that's where the Runoffs heads went.

maybe you shoudl have cut and pasted this one also????

Sounds like a ridiculous story doesn't it. But don't worry its all true little boys and girls the only illegal heads in this class are on those 8 cars we really have no real problems to solve.as they had the secret pact not to build every head they produced the same way. Bead blasted and deburred. I trust this version of the story please join me in also this deep belief.

K. Webb