Photo

Short-term solution poll

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Short-term solution for non-compliant cars (116 member(s) have cast votes)

Select the best short-term policy for cars believed to be non-compliant due to "plunge cut blending"

1. Just let them finish the season as-is (37 votes [31.90%])

Percentage of vote: 31.90%

2. Do not allow them to race at all and if caught apply full penalty (30 votes [25.86%])

Percentage of vote: 25.86%

3. Allow them to race in a temporary class as recommended by the SCCA (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

4. Allow them to race with a weight penalty to be determined (29 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. I don't know or don't care but want to see the results (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

6. Other - explain below (1 votes [0.86%])

Percentage of vote: 0.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Let's see where this community stands on letting suspect or non-compliant cars finish the season.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

How about fix it before you show up. (just want to see)

I understand SCCA trying to get everyone to run.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

For me it's simple.  The club took a position on the rules in Laguna (right/wrong doesn't matter at this point).  Right now that is the law of the land in SM.  Until they are changed, or IF, non compliant cars if/when caught should be DQ'd.

We don't need a SM1 (or whatever) to allow suspected cars a place to run.  That is a poor precedent to set.  If the SCCA was worried about their pocketbook going forward then I guess maybe they should have came to a different conclusion at the Runoffs.  In my opinion, SM1 is a sleazy attempt by the club to still take the racers money.

• john mueller, David L, Bench Racer and 6 others like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

None of the above.  Make a decision on new rule or not by early next week.  Until then (this weekend) the rules have not changed.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I will be running my car as is at the next TWS race.  If you have the money and balls to protest me, please feel free.  I am confident my head is legal.  

Sponsored By X-Factor Racing!

• Gary Norris, Jason J Ball, James York and 1 other like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

I will be running my car as is at the next TWS race.  If you have the money and balls to protest me, please feel free.  I am confident my head is legal.  

Sponsored By X-Factor Racing!

You bringing the 99 or 01?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

How about fix it before you show up. (just want to see)

I understand SCCA trying to get everyone to run.
J~

I think that would be option 2?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

None of the above. Make a decision on new rule or not by early next week. Until then (this weekend) the rules have not changed.

Pretty aggressive time-wise, but if they did that and the new rule would make many of the cars non-compliant, the poll question still stands.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I think that would be option 2?

I can see it now..."Do not allow them to race"

Tech at the front gate, right ??

Or we on the honor system ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Funny, but I think the SCCA is trying to make concessions for those who know or suspect they are stuck with one of these engines and chooses to be honest about that. Just seems to me that alone is worth a little consideration and I applaud the club's effort, if not their specific choice of a solution.
  • Think Racing likes this

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

For me it's simple.  The club took a position on the rules in Laguna (right/wrong doesn't matter at this point).  Right now that is the law of the land in SM.  Until they are changed, or IF, non compliant cars if/when caught should be DQ'd.

We don't need a SM1 (or whatever) to allow suspected cars a place to run.  That is a poor precedent to set.  If the SCCA was worried about their pocketbook going forward then I guess maybe they should have came to a different conclusion at the Runoffs.  In my opinion, SM1 is a sleazy attempt by the club to still take the racers money.

Pretty sure any of the cylinder heads in question are compliant for STL.  So there's already a class to run in.  Also there's already ITE,A,S in many regions.  That's another option.  Not sure why they'd even make up SM1.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I honestly dont thing option 1 in the poll is an option at all...

I would feel terrible if I was allowed to race and possibly win when drivers like Drennan and other were denied their finish possitions in the most important race of the year, how that makes sense to anyone I have no understanding.  

I dont think my car and many others should be allowed to race in SM untill they are either deemed legal or changed to fit whatever rules we are running under. 

The club wants to have their cake and eat it to... Dont we all???  

K. Webb