Photo

Should Mazda be directly involved in SM rules?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: Mazda direct involvement poll (122 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, their technical advice should carry considerable weight (41 votes [33.61%])

Percentage of vote: 33.61%

2. Yes, but only in an advisory role and not given more weight than member feedback and the SMAC (56 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

3. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class and the SMAC (18 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence (7 votes [5.74%])

Percentage of vote: 5.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Mazda's letter was interesting and positive but there has been very little reaction to it. So just how much weight should their opinion carry when writing the rules?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Voted...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

voted, and also surprised by the muted responses

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

voted, and also surprised by the muted responses

Why, we'll have a bigger fox in the hen house.

Should Mazda be directly involved in defining Spec Miata rules?

1. Yes, but only by providing the detailed Mazda head manufacturing process information.
  2. No, their motives may be pure but this is best left up to the members of the class, the SMAC and CRB.
  3. I'm not sure I know enough about it to vote with confidence

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

what does mazda motorsports know about machining a cylinder head?  do they build sm engines even?  You would have to speak japanese and get their engineering department in on this especially on their professional racing side and im sure they have nothing better to do then worry about the world of SM...

Dont get me wrong they are very nice people to deal with when I buy my parts most helpful as a matter of fact, but I personally dont feel they have the expertise on this one to weigh in.

just my.02

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I think we are all extremely grateful to have such support and sponsorship from Mazda, they truly make a BIG difference in the success of the class. They do a wonderful job at it and are heads and shoulders above anyone one else in my opinion. They certainly have earned a seat at the table, and our respect. Having said that, i am not sure to what extent, It is kind of like Hoosier wanting to come in and write the tire rules. I think we should pay attention to whatever their opinions are but they do stand benefit from it all, so If it were me I would participate in any way that i was asked to but not force the situation.

But what do i know.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

what does mazda motorsports know about machining a cylinder head?  do they build sm engines even?  You would have to speak japanese and get their engineering department in on this especially on their professional racing side and im sure they have nothing better to do then worry about the world of SM...

Dont get me wrong they are very nice people to deal with when I buy my parts most helpful as a matter of fact, but I personally dont feel they have the expertise on this one to weigh in.

just my.02

I think you GROSSLY underestimate what they know and how much they care about our class.....

• mmcspecracer, High Chair and Anthony Ralston like this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

GROOTS

GROOTS

SM

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48

Voted !

Jeff Gruter

Excell Motorsports

Paramount Tool & Equiptment http://www.ptetool.com/

Hatzel & Buehler Electrical Construction - IBEW

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I think you GROSSLY underestimate what they know and how much they care about our class.....

I do not question in the slightest that they care about our class, I know they do and it is in the best interest to.  

My point was and is they do not build SM engines and to my knowledge never have built SM engines, we all know they deliver stock engines via mazda motorsports to people in our class that wish to buy them.

we have umpteen engine builders all using their own processes to build what is now concidered a pro built motor all built the absolute best specs available in every measures engine part essentually all perfect mazda motors now rather then a mass produced mazda engine that came from the factory with fairly large tollerances of what was acceptable.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I do not question in the slightest that they care about our class, I know they do and it is in the best interest to.  

My point was and is they do not build SM engines and to my knowledge never have built SM engines, we all know they deliver stock engines via mazda motorsports to people in our class that wish to buy them.

we have umpteen engine builders all using their own processes to build what is now concidered a pro built motor all built the absolute best specs available in every measures engine part essentually all perfect mazda motors now rather then a mass produced mazda engine that came from the factory with fairly large tollerances of what was acceptable.

So this guy doesn't know a guy that could help do oversight ??

JOHN DOONAN

Doonan%2C+John+Thumbnail+for+media+site.

Doonan, John

As director of motorsports for Mazda North American Operations (MNAO), John Doonan develops the overall strategy and manages Mazda’s motorsport programs in North America. Programs include, the American Le Mans Series, GrandAm GT/ST Programs, SKYACTIV-DIESEL Racing Engine program, World Challenge Touring Car, Mazda MX-5 Cup, Mazda Road to Indy, the Mazda Motorsports Driver Career Development Ladder, Star Mazda Championship presented by Goodyear, and the Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship powered by Mazda.

Doonan joined Mazda in 2003 as the regional advertising manager in the Midwest region. In 2005 Doonan became manager, motorsports and team development and in 2011 was promoted to director of motorsports.

Doonan earned a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from Augustana College and an MBA from Western Illinois University. Doonan lives with his wife and three children in Plainfield, IL.

icon_docx.gif

(144 KB)

http://www.mazdausam...1623&item=30656

J~

• Glenn and Alberto like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I'm sure he knows someone.  where did I say he didnt know anyone?

SCCA brass know people also do they not?  maybe even the same people?

The letter sent was PR from scca IMO.  

I bet Mueller knows people also... Think he didnt turn over quite a few rocks before he put out the response to this?  

Involving Mazda was a great PR move by SCCA!  it will also drag this process out IMO and most likely will not change what will transpire in the long term ruling on this.

Its My opinion we are all entitled to our own.  

K. Webb