- - - - - Rules Plunge Cut

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Karl

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

So, I’m searching for something on the web and, I can’t remember now, age I guess, I come across a message from Mazda that they are considering involvement in SM rules.  Having been involved a while back, I’m interested and I dig a little deeper until I find myself here.  I quickly read the topics on the “plunge cutting” and add my two cents, ALLOW REMOVAL OF MATERIAL IN THE PORTS TO A DISTANCE OF XX BELOW THE VALVE SEATS, in case you missed it.  Yes, I know, there are a few other details there to spec, but I've added those in the RULE xxxxx.xxx.x.xx topic that Mike started, along with why I think it makes sense.  I did not really want to get into those details here, but I did want to ask how it is that so many of you find this class better than it was when I was racing in it (2000-forget my last race).

What happened to the 1600?  The 2014 Runnoffs grid shows a nice grouping of 1600s, wait for it………… from 31st to 45th 

1-Is the 1600 no longer the cheapest car to build to 99% of its potential?

I do remember “someone” saying that there was at least one genius, top level 1600 driver, who incidentally built an NB and parked his 1600, who we all needed to fear if we “gave the 1600 too much”.  Fear is a great motivator, or manipulator, isn't it.  And yes, I’m still quite hurt that that “someone” wasn't referring to me.  Who said time heals all wounds?  It seems I need to go back and give Menander a “what for” but my Greek sucks and I would probably just encourage him to spread the word and we’d just end up where we are today.

Anyway….there was also this other “someone” who told us that we needed to keep including the more recent models because at some point we would run out of spare parts and wasn't it “dangerous to race 25-30 year old cars”.  More fear based manipulation?  I figured most of us were bright enough to see through that, but here we are with a class dominated by NBs and the way it looks, you will still be racing those in 2025….the horror.

When I was driving it was believed that the 1600 was the harder car to drive fast for an entire race.

2-Is the 1600 still perceived to be the harder platform to drive consistently fast?    

p.s. Way to go Will!!  It’s fitting that you live in a place called Happy Valley.  Perhaps more of us need to move there.  The question is: would we adapt to it, or it to us?  So much for such a simple brain.  

3-How many of the strange references above can be applied to SM over the years and into the future? (Rhetorical, in case I need to spell that out)  :optimist:

• pat slattery and LarryKing like this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

What happened to the 1600?  The 2014 Runnoffs grid shows a nice grouping of 1600s, wait for it………… from 31st to 45th 

1-Is the 1600 no longer the cheapest car to build to 99% of its potential?

I do remember “someone” saying that there was at least one genius, top level 1600 driver, who incidentally built an NB and parked his 1600, who we all needed to fear if we “gave the 1600 too much”. 

Anyway….there was also this other “someone” who told us that we needed to keep including the more recent models because at some point we would run out of spare parts and wasn't it “dangerous to race 25-30 year old cars”.  

2-Is the 1600 still perceived to be the harder platform to drive consistently fast?    

3-How many of the strange references above can be applied to SM over the years and into the future? (Rhetorical, in case I need to spell that out)  :optimist:

Karl still knows how to hit a nail on the head. :rotfl:  

Steve and Karl returning within the same week is sort of like a home coming. :thumbsup:

Had I not posted first, the 99 + crowd ould be disappointed.  :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

WOW, 100 peeks no others posting, either your subject matter or the first poster is the plague. So be it.

Most likely me that has the plague & any other 1.6'ers. I started a thread "Measure Torque on Race Track" on 10/20/14 and this am, 177 peeks with zero response. There have been posts on other threads mostly saying measuring torque on track doesn't work. I don't buy into, it doesn't work. Maybe they didn't trial a workable system for what they desired.  :noidea:  Of course, it may be to facual to aquire on track data.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

https://www.youtube....h?v=5NNOrp_83RU

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Karl

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Priceless Johnny

Here is what I sent Mazdaspeed. Other than my phone's spell check turning "twisties" into "twisting" here is more to talk about.

Queue the crickets?

--------------------
May I suggest a couple of things?

1- Limit your envolvement to increasing transparency. i.e. Publish the findings of tech and add technical explanations that help the newer builders and racer more quickly achieve the level of prep of the top drivers and teams.

2- Don't be afraid to publish techniques that racers have used to make your products better, including machining improvements.

3- Commit yourselves to making the 1600 the car of choice in SM. It was the car that started it all and "even though Mazda has made significant improvements to the design through the years, we are still committed to producing parts that allow the Miata to be driven up and down the coast, through the mountain twisting or raced at tracks across the world."

I'm sure your marketing team can do better, but I hope you get the idea.

Thanks,
Karl Zimmermann
  • pat slattery likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Karl, welcome back, glad to see you posting.

• FTodaro likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rules, Plunge Cut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users