• 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
It's as expected. See you on track.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I question how many heads delivered from the leading builders in the past few years are plunge-only. I suspect very few. If they took any beyond that, it seems likely they did them all.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Heads with plunge cuts are not illegal but you may have to carry some additional weight. The weights will be determined soon.

They will be illegal in 1 to 2 years.  Mazda, NASA, and the SCCA threw both cheaters and totally legal racers under the same bus to be crushed.  You know the thing is, the group you aim to hurt, the evil engine builders, are going to see a boom ($$) in request for new heads....  ironic. 

• MarekM and Brian129 like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

They will be illegal in 1 to 2 years.  Mazda, NASA, and the SCCA threw both cheaters and totally legal racers under the same bus to be crushed.  You know the thing is, the group you aim to hurt, the evil engine builders, are going to see a boom ($$) in request for new heads....  ironic. 

That sucks

• MarekM likes this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

I have kept my mouth shut on here for all 50+ pages of engine discussions. Here goes:

SCCA (with NASA and Mazda's help) had 3 choices:
1)Leave the rule as currently written
2)Rewrite the rule to allow additional modifications
3)Rewrite the rule to allow less/no modifications

Option 1 would make every head modified beyond the plunge cut (including slight blending) non-compliant and need replacement
Option 2 would tell the cheaters that what they did was ok and force everyone who was legal to do the same modifications
Option 3 forces everyone to go to stock heads, with little or no mods

I am not saying which is the best decision. None of these options are good. They are all bad. But someone had to make a decision and the decision was made. Now we have to live with it. Maybe there is more info coming that has not been made public yet. Maybe the leadership team just got pissed at the Miata world.  Blame the people responsible for this problem, the ones that broke the rules.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for taking time to post. Respectfully I dissagree with the paragraph above.

1. "Now we have to live with it." No we don't. A decision has been presented but not yet ratified. It ain't over till the fat lady sings and frankly I don't like the tune. Ill think about singing it when the BOD votes. I have an aversion to supporting a decision that financially penalizes a whole community for complying with a legal rule - and then changing it. I have no problem with penalizing non-compliance.

2. "Maybe the leadership just got pissed at the Miata world". This i do agree with because that's exactly what it feels like. But the role of leadership is to, well, lead, and an emotional response is not appreciated.

3. "Blame the people responsible for this problem". No I don't blame engine builders for a bad SCCA desicion. Again I expect good decisions from leadership and not punitive decisions which, in this case, actually will benefit the very people are being blamed for the problem.

It is indeed a mess but a better decision could have been made.

CNJ.
  • MPR22, James York, Karl and 1 other like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Heads with plunge cuts are not illegal but you may have to carry some additional weight. The weights will be determined soon.

The friken OEM heads have OEM plunge cuts. Mazda, summit hotshots, SMAC, CRB, it's time to step up to the plate with some OEM facts.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

That sucks

The result of unintended consequences from short sighted decision making.  I thought the government was only great at screw ups like this.  

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The best idea i have seen posted today is " i want a spec class not necessarily a stock class"

• powerss likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

The friken OEM heads have OEM plunge cuts. Mazda, summit hotshots, SMAC, CRB, it's time to step up to the plate with some OEM facts.

Bench,

You just read Dave's lengthy post.  The SMAC, summit hotshot, a CRB member are all culpable parties and cheaters that he and the committee just pissed on.  You read it, the greedy evil doers are out of the picture.  You think they are going to help work this issue out now after character attacks?

They had supposed "experts" at the viewing last week.  If your head is not untouched factory, it's noncompliant.  So if you plunge cut, line up for a new head.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9

With respect to the discussion on having to find a good flowing stock casting, will that really be the case?  I know very little about this, but since most of us have a restrictor plate, I would expect that max airflow of the casting would be less important than in a motor running without a plate.  So I guess my question is will an average flowing head meet the requirement of a restricted intake.

Greg

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

With respect to the discussion on having to find a good flowing stock casting, will that really be the case?  I know very little about this, but since most of us have a restrictor plate, I would expect that max airflow of the casting would be less important than in a motor running without a plate.  So I guess my question is will an average flowing head meet the requirement of a restricted intake.

Greg

It will become extremely important for the 1.6 to search heads.  Less so for the restricted cars, but any little bit extra helps.

James York

sponsored by: