Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

While many are left confused by the decision of the joint panel.  It will not be all bad. The sun will still come up tomorrow. We will still have the best class in racing.  This would not have been my decision, but it is the decision none the less. In my experience, I can not see this decision being reversed as it is backed by both sanctioning bodies and Mazda.  IMO, the more time we spend looking back, the less time we will have to look ahead. We (East Street)are moving forward with these rules today and do you really want to give us a few months head start while you guys debate all of the "what should we do scenarios" that will all eventually lead you back to stock heads anyway?   

My plans and the plan for all under our tent ( and will advise all engine/ car customers to do the same) is bolt on stock cylinder heads 100% compliant to the new rule. While not official, I feel confident the valve angles and min thickness rules will remain unchanged from what is currently in the GCR.  So we are doing a by the book valve job, installing all new valves and hardware and decking for maximum legal compression. NOTHING ELSE!  I encourage all the front runners to do the same join us at Homestead and Sebring with stock heads and lets get this ship back on course. If we lead this, others will follow. The longer we drag this out with weight penalties and choice of which combination is better at which track etc, the worse our racing will be because of it. If we get this done before the January races we will maintain the past quality of races we have all enjoyed and the reason we all love this class so much.  

I know many are concerned about disparity between the stock heads. Truthfully NONE of us know for sure if we will be any worse off than we are now. ALL of us if running pro engines have had plunge cuts since before 2006. They were in most pro motors since the SS days. So "stock" heads is new to all of us whop had been running pro Motors.  With time we will have an answer, but I suspect this will be better than most fear at this point. The guys at the front will continue to be at the front regardless of the rules. At this point, I feel obligated to prove that and I will.   

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the following cars will be running with no weight penalties regardless of the rules effective 1/1/15. I encourage any other front runner to add your names to this thread below. If we can take some of the uncertainty out of this, this will be a bump in the road.. If we let this change drag out all year, it could do permanent damage.   

Drago

Stearns

Berry

Bickham

Buras

Lamb

Cahall

Any negative or sky is falling stuff needs to go in the other thread. This is a thread about moving forward, not looking back. 

• Alberto, Todd Lamb and Mike Tesch like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Jim,

I applaud you for accepting the change and getting on with it.  It's probably the least stressful and healthy choice.

I can be a bit more hard headed I guess.  I would be ok with the proposed rules other than these main points:

1)  This rule change negatively impacts the majority of racers (in my opinion since we don't know real number of impacted heads), not just those taking liberties around the plunge cut

2)  This rule retrograde to "stock" heads will likely create chaos.  Not from people trying to intentionally cheat, but for those 100's of racers who don't use the forums, don't know where their car or engine came from, or who are otherwise mistaken thinking they have a "stock" legal head but do not.  They will run with an unfair advantage against their peers.  Will they be caught?  Not likely in the middle of the pack we have seen lack of tech and/or protest history in our class.  Or if they are caught and sent packing with no head and say f'ck the SCCA.

The reversal of rule will be one of the largest costs driven by the club and I think will unintentionally create an entire class of SM cheaters who don't even know it.  That's just not good in my book.

Maybe I shouldn't think so much... 

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

Jim,

That's a nice sentiment and I'm sure heads will be available for the "front" runners but what about the rest of us? Planet Miata was sold out of heads yesterday. Do you have enough inventory to cover the rest of us? What would two heads (for two cars) cost me right now?

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

I should add to my post, that whatever the rule, like Jim, my car will be run 100% compliant with no weight penalties in 2015.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Both my 99 and the new car being built will be 100% compliant for 2015 with no weight penalties as well

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

What is a ball park estimate for the cost to change from "Pro Motor" specs to 2015 100% compliant with no weight penalties?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

What is a ball park estimate for the cost to change from "Pro Motor" specs to 2015 100% compliant with no weight penalties?

Whatever your builder charges you for a new head plus any installation if applicable.  And since you have no core since they are shot with the rule change, (unless you can source one from salvage), be prepared for that upcharge too.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:

2003 Spec Miata

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I'm currently giving very serious consideration to moving to SM5. If there were enough of us willing to make the move I think it might take off. I do think that sealed motors for that class is a requirement give what is currently going on.

• dstevens and Ben Rooke like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I'm currently giving very serious consideration to moving to SM5. If there were enough of us willing to make the move I think it might take off. I do think that sealed motors for that class is a requirement give what is currently going on.

Do you think maybe that was the intent of this whole thing...

K. Webb