callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35
Hi everybody. First time question and wanted to say I have learned a great deal reading the posts on here.. Apologies if the answer to this is readily available on the site .....and if so please point me to it. The question is about disabling the hand brake actuator. I have an open trailer and load my car with the trailer at an incline so if I disabled the hand brake I'd like to still be able to set it on the trailer for loading. (The car would probably roll back if I relied on gearbox only) The reason for the incline is to stop the car bottoming out during loading. I back the tow vehicle on ramps to tip the rear of the trailer down. Is disabing the hand brake just as simple as removing the cable from the bracket and securing it to the car? And then at the end of the day re-attaching? I know that some folks remove the internal adjustor from the caliper..I'm not interested in doing that...yet. Any thoughts on temporarily disabling the cable and attaching the free end to the car would be great. Thanks.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
No reason to disable the ebrake if you are not going to remove the adjusters...keep it connected! Down the road when you are searching for every ounce of speed, you will remove all the ebrake parts and the self adjuster inside the rear calipers! You will also figure out permanent blocks of some type on one or more locations on the trailer bed will let the wheels to fall into a pocket and not allow the car to roll when you turn it off. Have fun!
  • ChrisA likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Duane Polsley

Duane Polsley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:SFR

or get these ramps

http://www.raceramps...extensions.aspx

could even make your own easily

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Dude, this is a Spec Miata.  That thing sits miles off the ground.  The simplest solution for you is to get longer ramps. 

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

Longer ramps and a $100 Harbor Freight winch will make your life so much better.

Before I got my winch I kept a 3 foot long 2X4 and slid it under the front tire from the drivers seat when I didn't want it to roll back. Now I just drive the car up the trailer about half way, shut it off with the car in gear and then hook up the winch and let it do the rest of the work.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
Thanks for the tips,guys.! I appreciate it and have fun too! I am really glad I took up SM, this is a great community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users