ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
Do we need to have our HANS devices recertified for SCCA tech?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Does yours have an SFI or a FIA sticker?

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

It has both..?

FIA 8858-2002

SFI 38.1 - manfu. date 5/08

Chris

- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I was told by the guy that sold me my device that the recertification, is a racket, that the teathers are made of Kevlar fiber and will not go bad. Just another way for people to dig into your pocket.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

If it has an FIA sticker, I don't think it needs to be re-certified, just inspected by the tech person to see that it is not damaged.  

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

The tethers are not kevlar, they are either nylon or some type of poly. Kevlar is highly sensitive to UV degradation, so needs to be protected from sunlight. Wouldn't last long on our HANS devices.

Chris

- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Ok I thought i would look into this a little further.

The NASA rule:

NASA CCR 2012.1 EDITION ©
29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here:  
http://www.sfifounda...manuf.html#38.1.  If the device is not on this list it will not 
fulfill the use mandate.  As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have and SFI certification and 
are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for rectification 
per SFI 38.1 specifications.  Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether they 
also have an SFI certification or not, are not required to be re certified.

SCCA

I could not find an SCCA re-certification rule: from what i can see SCCA allows devices that are either or both FIA or SFI certified. The re-certification rule came from SFI requiring all HANS devices be re-certified after 5 years. it looks as if they just look it over and put a sticker on it.

My Hans device itself is SFI certificated, but the tethers are both SFI and FIA certified so I would seem that i would have to send the HANS back for a new sticker but under FIA the tethers are ok.

If the tethers are subject to degradation I would think tether replacement is what is important.

This is what i found on line regarding cost.

Racetech re-certification

Level 1 - Inspection and replace SFI sticker  $30
Level 2 - Inspection and replace SFI sticker,$120
replace rubber on the shoulders.
Level 3 - Inspection and replace SFI sticker, replace
rubber on the shoulders and replace tether system.  $180

Here is another link to another provider

http://www.krjracepr...es/default.aspx

:pessimist:

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
NASA CCR 2014.1

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint
Use of a head and neck restraint system or device, carrying an SFI 38.1 certification label, is mandatory for all drivers. References and information can be found in “Appendix D,” section #29.0 of the CCR. Additionally, HANS brand devices with FIA 8858-2002 or FIA 8858-2010 certification labels are acceptable in lieu of SFI 38.1 labels.

29.0 Appendix D
29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here: http://www.sfifounda...manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not fulfill the use mandate. As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have an SFI certification and are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for recertification per SFI 38.1 specifications. Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether or not they also have an SFI certification, are not required to be recertified.
29.1.2 Installation and Replacement
Any systems used must be installed and used according to the manufacturer’s directions. The driver is ultimately responsible for the proper installation and use of these devices. It should be noted that “webbing based” systems should be replaced at least every three years or sooner if the manufacturer specifies such. Any device that shows signs of wear or abrasions should be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or should be replaced. “Homemade” repairs are not allowed.

Attached Files

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

I have noticed some FIA stickers being worn or delaminated, to reveal a VOID message.  For that reason, I put some clear tape over my FIA sticker.

wheel

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Last year, i send my HANs to so cal for re-inspection, I felt like it was a racket as well.  They are looking for overall damage and those of the straps as they slide back and forth on the plastic holders.  Anyway the whole process cost about $60 and they fedEx'd back to me with new straps.  

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users