16 replies to this topic

Ranchracer

Ranchracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:2014
This seems to be a very popular seat, and I was just about to pull the trigger on Saferacer.com when I found this on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co...=Sparco pro adv

It's a savings of more than $100 over Saferacer but it looks a bit different, and they call it the "grip seat". Is it just an older model or is there something inherently different from the one pictured on Saferacer? Saferacer doesn't offer their 10% discount to SCCA members anymore, at least not that I can find, so I'm not crazy about buying from them anyway.

Also, I'm curious if any of you have a seat slider? Sparco makes one that fits all of their seats and it seems like it'd be quite useful for endurance racing where you have different size drivers swapping in and out. My one concern is whether or not it raises the seat, thereby raising the C of G of the driver. Plus you can't connect the seat to the rollcage if it's on a slider. Not sure how important that is with these modern seats?

Thanks,
Eric

Ranchracer

Ranchracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
I think I just answered my own question. The Pro ADV pictured on the Sparco USA website is identical to the one shown on Amazon, so it looks like Saferacer is actually showing the previous model. Amazon it is!

Still interested in input on slider vs. no slider though.

Thanks,
Eric

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Do a search up top/right for "sliders" big debate.

Long story short I think you can't do it.

2014 car ??

Saferacer is a advertise here, you get another discount on your next purchase if you do a review.

Free shipping over $100 I think.

Good luck

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Don't think sliders are allowed...not positive. Saferacer is very fair to the SM community...I used the 10% on my last order. There is always someone or some company cheaper. Always like to support those who specifically support the Mazda/SM community.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Saferacer offers a 10% discount to SCCA members. Login to SCCA and click the "discount" tab.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Just take a close look at the measurements of the seat, it is one of the largest out there the measurement between the shoulder bolsters is like 24 inches. If your installing in a new build then you can build the cage around it. I ended up going with the Circuit Pro which is a tic smaller on a few dimensions.  I have sat in that seat in an SM its comfortable but its big.

• Alberto likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

SCCA does not allow a slider last time I checked.  Download and read the GCR from scca.com.  I doubt the seat would fit with a slider anyway.  It is big and not easy to fit into the car.  If you are tall, you may not fit in the car with that seat.

+1 to what Frank said.  It's a big seat so buy from a vendor that allows refunds w/ minimal restocking fee.  I got mine from Wine Country Motorsports located at Sonoma Raceway for that price when it was on sale.  Got to sit in it and made sure it fit me before I bought it.

Also check the date on the seat.  I think they are only good for 5 years and then you either need a seat back brace or a new seat.  I forget.  Check the rules for the organization you race with. 

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
Sliders are allowed, with a back brace.
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

See, now you only need a SCCA (maybe FIA) approved back brace slider.

Maybe worth a try to ask SCCA, if somebody came up with one, would they go for it.

Probably some testing/certified involved.

Still a PITA.

Thus the debate because higher level Pro classes, sliders are legal.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ranchracer

Ranchracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I was pretty sure the sliders were legal, but requiring the brace sounds like a major pain so I think I'll skip it.

As far as the seat size, this is a new Mazda2 B-Spec build and I wanted to pick up the seat before we started tacking the cage in. I'm 6 foot. Am I hearing that the fit will be a problem, or was that comment in regards to am SM? I know the roof height is quite a bit lower in a Miata than it is in the 2.

Thanks,
Eric

Ranchracer

Ranchracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Saferacer offers a 10% discount to SCCA members. Login to SCCA and click the "discount" tab.

Yeah I tried that. The discount code listed on the SCCA site for Saferacer is no longer valid, and I've read on a couple of sites that they've pulled the discount. I'll give them a call on Monday to confirm. 100 bucks is nothing to sneeze at. I'm also close to Track Logic Motorsport in Rocklin although I don't think they carry Sparco. Wine Country's a couple hours drive.

Eric

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I think we missed the B-spec part, even when you posted it in the b-spec section.

There's a number of members here that have built them and raced them so if you have more questions, give us a try.

See if they chim in tomorrow morning.

J~

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Yeah I tried that. The discount code listed on the SCCA site for Saferacer is no longer valid, and I've read on a couple of sites that they've pulled the discount. I'll give them a call on Monday to confirm. 100 bucks is nothing to sneeze at. I'm also close to Track Logic Motorsport in Rocklin although I don't think they carry Sparco. Wine Country's a couple hours drive.

Eric

I think I'd make the drive to Wine Country. If you don't like the seat or determine that it won't fit your car, you'll have to pay shipping that thing back (unless you get business rates, it will be high) and may have the ship to you rate deducted from your return. Sit in as many seats as you can, you may find one that fit you to a tee.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Wine Country are my gear suppliers of choice. Straight up guys, good prices and good service. Now if only they would sponsor me!!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

Seat will fit no problems, with a slider! Sean from Miatacage.com/SBoxEngineering.com has that exact seat mounted in his 2, fits perfect! Works for me (125lb 5'8" to our other driver, 275lb and 6'3" tall) without issue. 

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Ranchracer

Ranchracer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
Heading to Wine Country today to check out the ADV. I sat in Derrick's 2 last week with the Circuit and it was pretty comfy. We'll see how the ADV compares.

Thanks!
Eric

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

Heading to Wine Country today to check out the ADV. I sat in Derrick's 2 last week with the Circuit and it was pretty comfy. We'll see how the ADV compares.

Thanks!
Eric

I have the Circuit in my 1.6 and the ADV in my '01. It comes down to how you are shaped. The Circuit is narrower everywhere. It fits my hips great but is too tight at my back. The ADV fits my back well but is too loose at the hips. I added about an inch of fairly dense foam to the sides of the ADV at the hip area which really helped. They are both more "flimsy" than I would like when installed as compared to an AL or RaceTech seat.

AC

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users