49 replies to this topic

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona
  • Car Year:1999
Sfr had to make a decision, and I get it. As far as Ron Cortez and AIM, there is no region with a better partner for tires and support!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tim

Tim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Northern California
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:07

Glad to be on the RR"s. Great tire, lasts forever. It would be nice if we could blend the rains, since those can't be used up at track days as easily. Thanks Ron, AIM and the board for going with what I have a feeling was an overwhelming desire to go with TOYO.  We are still going to have to find out a way to reel in Drennan anyways!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I'm looking forward to running the RR also.  Great decision for the region's drivers.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Curious if anyone has a feel(driven it enough) for the RR in the last 50% of its life? Does it get better like the RA1 or does grip fall off? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Glad to be on the RR"s. Great tire, lasts forever. It would be nice if we could blend the rains, since those can't be used up at track days as easily. Thanks Ron, AIM and the board for going with what I have a feeling was an overwhelming desire to go with TOYO.  We are still going to have to find out a way to reel in Drennan anyways!

Might be kinda hard if he starts driving the E46... :(

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

With NASA Champs at Laguna this year, the region should get a nice little entry bump at all its regionals since NASA only has the 1 event there!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Curious if anyone has a feel(driven it enough) for the RR in the last 50% of its life? Does it get better like the RA1 or does grip fall off?

Matt can comment on 20HC to new.
People have watch me too from old to new with little improvement too.

The spin you saw me have at TH with 12 to 15hc Ron, Maybe was not HC first. Yes it was 100+ that day, but..

I had 2 sets when Caveman came to town in Oct.
One set I stop using because my tranny blew, the other Caveman ran.

One set ran as you saw, the other I ran until they corded.
Did I throw away a good set at 12~15hc because it was 100+ ?

I'm not top 5 but mid pack for sure.

But they're really hard to throw away and do act like worn RA1's

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Yep. Highest place qualifying of 2014 for me was done on 20+ heat cycle tires. Swapped to stickers for the next day's race, qualified with the exact same time. Very nice and consistent in terms of speed, but the car was harder to drive on the higher heat cycle tires as you can see in the vid (very inconsistent grip, lots of corrections).

• Johnny D likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

I'd also like to say, Ron at AIM was making good money shaving RA1s.

But contacted Toyo saying we need a 2 grove RA1ish race tire for SM and E30, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong CH)

Toyo delivered the tire, but to all Toyo dealers so he sales dropped.

So lets all give big props to Ron Cortez for coming up/working with TOYO to give us the RR and support AIM with the tire we all enjoy.  :clap:

J~

• Alberto and ECOBRAP like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ryan Wellman

Ryan Wellman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:91

My car starts pushing like a dog on RR's with 15+ cycles.  But maybe that's just my jacked up setup that I've been working on.  Will have to wait a few more weekends before I have 15 cycle tires to try out and see if I've been able to fix that.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users