pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Jim the previous SMAC has done nothing for the 1.6 over the past 4-5 years, if it was such an overdog, you would be driving it, and so would all the other top drivers,  Even Mr. Buras is not running it and stated that it was not a good car for Road America.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim the previous SMAC has done nothing for the 1.6 over the past 4-5 years, if it was such an overdog, you would be driving it, and so would all the other top drivers,  Even Mr. Buras is not running it and stated that it was not a good car for Road America.

Don't remember me saying it was an overdog? How many races has Mr Buras won in his VVT car compared to his 1.6 car?
Slowing the other cars down with plates and removing weight from the 1.6 were both done, I don't mind the criticism, but please try and keep the posts accurate.

As far as the 1.6 goes... I really don't care what they do, I have two already, if I need three, I will build another car.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
If I had deep pockets I would gladly test everything that has been suggested for the 1.6 and see what the best answer would be,but I don't so I'm at the mercy of the bod and smac.

I agree with the fact that the 1.6 has great top end speed and doesn't need any help in that area. It's under 5,500 that it lacks and needs some help. Yes the 1.6 is a great qualifying car and can turn a fast lap but it's not the car to have when your in any kind of traffic. So yes if your out front and can stay out of traffic the car is great,just add a couple of other cars in the mix and it's a sitting duck.

If you look at the other post you will see that there are more 1.6 cars out there then any other year,as per the post ( votes ). Yes they all might be racing Reg. Races only but shouldn't be tossed to the side. Maybe if they start to see the 1.6 doing better at the Majors level they might think about racing some of the Majors. Yes it might not happen in the first year,but if you build it they will come ! :)

So if there is some way we can help it out in the low to mid rpm range ( out of the corners ) and the heat soak problem without adding to the top end we would be golden.
This would at least make the car competitive throughout the race and believe it would stop the complaining.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Since being added to the SMAC I have to be careful to not discuss anything out of context. However I am able to discuss my own opinions and observations, so here goes.

As I have said before, I personally do not believe that anything will be achieved for the 1.6 with headers or Flywheel. Dewhurst I think you are mistaken. Of course I could be dead wrong abut this.

IMO what is needed is compression and or displacement to provide some or all of the missing TQ.

And Drago, I see this differently. I think that we almost have to create an overdog situation to stimulate the 1.6NA car owners and new car builders to pursue the 1.6 as a viable competitive car. Thereafter we can dial it back with weight, and or plate. Until we see 1.6's winning majors I do not see anything changing

No car year should ever be deliberately put into an "overdog" position.  Placing the 1.6s in such a dominate position to win and/or force all the front runners to build, does nothing for the long term health of the class.  (Some builders might be happy with the idea of new car orders though...)

• MPR22, Jim Drago and mellen like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

If you look at the other post you will see that there are more 1.6 cars out there then any other year,as per the post ( votes ). Yes they all might be racing Reg. Races only but shouldn't be tossed to the side. Maybe if they start to see the 1.6 doing better at the Majors level they might think about racing some of the Majors. Yes it might not happen in the first year,but if you build it they will come ! :)

That pole is no longer valid.  Someone dug it up recently and added or changed a vote.  But the underlying baseline is from 4 years ago.

I am not saying the 1.6 still wouldn't get the most votes, but just that the data is not valid any longer.

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

I have only experienced heat soak during very hot ~100 degree races at Thunderhill. Either way, I think that is an incredibly simple fix and should be at the top of the agenda considering how many 1.6's seem to be affected by it. How hard would it be to let us run one of the below intakes? Someone in a parity thread mentioned they tried removing their driver's side turn signal and it was a definite improvement in lap time consistency over the course of a race.

Turn Signal Intake

I believe in this position it would serve more to cool engine bay temps down instead of actually forcing the air into the intake.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Danny,

Is it the role of the SMAC to ensure a level playing field and parity for all models or to stimulate the Spec Miata economy by "bringing out" 1.6 cars due to an overdog situation?  Can someone post the charter for the SMAC? 

Blake

Blake - the SMAC is composed of different individuals, each with their own opinions. I most definitely did NOT express the opinion of SMAC, the viewpoint expressed is MINE ONLY. 

And yes, among the SMAC's many goals, number one in its sights, is the goal to ensure the success of the class. Parity is part of that goal.Increasing driver count is also part of that goal

To these ends there are many issues raised by many drivers/owners/outsiders that all need to be addressed.  How you get there is anyone's guess!! :-) 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Now that I am no longer on the SMAC...

First we froze the rules for three years...Worked great....

Second...The 1.6 WILL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL EVER AGAIN IN SM!!!!!  Its now 25 years old, Mazda does not stock parts...the parts that are available are not all the same.  Its fully eligible for vintage racing..Its simple evolve or parish...

Take the 1.6 cars put them in SSM....The original set of rules that SM started with...It works, we have proven it works in DC....

Unrestrict the rest of cars (to the extent they are equal)...who in there right mind wants to keep slowing cars down...at the majors level we have VERY robust fields of '99+ cars... speed the cars up, embarrass even more "faster" cars from other classes, get rid of drama and even more people will flock to SM.

• steveracer, ChrisA, Jim Drago and 5 others like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

No car year should ever be deliberately put into an "overdog" position.  Placing the 1.6s in such a dominate position to win and/or force all the front runners to build, does nothing for the long term health of the class.  (Some builders might be happy with the idea of new car orders though...)

James, you can't tell me that the 99 and now the vvt have been is this position for a long, long time

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

".......speed the cars up, embarrass even more "faster" cars from other classes, get rid of drama and even more people will flock to SM."

I think this is the correct idea for our class.  Let's work on going faster within reasonable $ constraints and competition balance.  If that means the 1.6 needs a header and 1/2 point of compression to keep up then do it.  Those that don't want to spend the time and $ can just have a fun SSM or SM"whatever" to play with.

• mellen and ECOBRAP like this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Now that I am no longer on the SMAC...

First we froze the rules for three years...Worked great....

Second...The 1.6 WILL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL EVER AGAIN IN SM!!!!!  Its now 25 years old, Mazda does not stock parts...the parts that are available are not all the same.  Its fully eligible for vintage racing..Its simple evolve or parish...

Take the 1.6 cars put them in SSM....The original set of rules that SM started with...It works, we have proven it works in DC....

Unrestrict the rest of cars (to the extent they are equal)...who in there right mind wants to keep slowing cars down...at the majors level we have VERY robust fields of '99+ cars... speed the cars up, embarrass even more "faster" cars from other classes, get rid of drama and even more people will flock to SM.

Mike, it has been that thinking from the SMAC that has the 1.6 in such a bad position.  I guess the 99 being "only" 16 years old  makes it a late model car.  HAHA. 

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

James, you can't tell me that the 99 and now the vvt have been is this position for a long, long time

Why should I argue, your minds never change?  Jim said it before, he proved a point, everyone ignores it.

I don't care what year car we are talking about, 99, vvt, etc: No car should ever receive an adjustment of performance to deliberately move it to overdog.  Any year.  

I did NOT say the 1.6 could benefit from some, as yet unknown, enhancement to permit it to race more closely with the other cars.

James York

sponsored by: