Photo

Helmet Hydration System

- - - - - helmet hydration drink bottle

Best Answer Danny Steyn , 02-23-2015 12:01 AM

I have historically used the system you mention, drilling a hole in the chin guard at mouth level, and running a short piece of tube, with bite valve one side and cools suit quick disconnect fitting on the other side.

The length of the tube should be enough to push the bite guard into your mouth before the quick disconnect stops the motion. Don't have my helmet here but it has to around 4-5" on the Arai GP5. Make sure you put your helmet on first and mark where the hole needs to be as it needs to be a straight shot to the mouth for the tube. Remove the chin padding and cloth and tape the helmet before drilling so you don't scratch it if the drill bit wanders. Hole diameter is just 1/32" larger than the tube diameter. Bite guard needs to be zip tied to the tube so that a forceful removal doesn't dislodge the valve from the tube. Longacre bottle feeds the system.

The only drink mixture that I have ever used that has helped to reduce my chronic cramping is Cytomax made by Muscle Milk.

I am now using a Stilo helmet with the built in hydration system, but the first time I used it I almost drowned at Sebring as I was unable to get the bite guard out of my mouth and as we bounced through Turn 17, my jaw was closing on the bite valve, and the drink was just pouring down my throat, all the while I was holding my breath through that total commitment turn. I have changed the bite guard to a 90 degree swivel system and I have got the drowning somewhat beat!

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

I wanted to get some feedback on what people are doing for hydrating while on track. Right now I am using the standard Longacre drink bottle and just used some strips of velcro to keep the tube within reach. The issue I have found that on some of the busier tracks, I don't have time to grab it, fish it up to my helmet, find my mount, drink, and get it back to it's place between shifting. The plan is to get one of the Stilo helmets with the drink tube already installed but that won't be in the budget until later this year (hoping to get a sweet discount when the SA15s come out).

Some of the options I have seen are drilling a hole in the front of the chin guard and feeding a tube in with a cool suit style quick connect, I have seen others use a small bracket to hold the tube to the side of the helmet and then use a quick connect.

I haven't been able to see any details with how people are going about this and would like to hear some opinions before I put any more holes in the helmet and figure out a better way later.

Thanks guys!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I think Dannny S has his system down pat...ask him :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
✓  Best Answer

I have historically used the system you mention, drilling a hole in the chin guard at mouth level, and running a short piece of tube, with bite valve one side and cools suit quick disconnect fitting on the other side.

The length of the tube should be enough to push the bite guard into your mouth before the quick disconnect stops the motion. Don't have my helmet here but it has to around 4-5" on the Arai GP5. Make sure you put your helmet on first and mark where the hole needs to be as it needs to be a straight shot to the mouth for the tube. Remove the chin padding and cloth and tape the helmet before drilling so you don't scratch it if the drill bit wanders. Hole diameter is just 1/32" larger than the tube diameter. Bite guard needs to be zip tied to the tube so that a forceful removal doesn't dislodge the valve from the tube. Longacre bottle feeds the system.

The only drink mixture that I have ever used that has helped to reduce my chronic cramping is Cytomax made by Muscle Milk.

I am now using a Stilo helmet with the built in hydration system, but the first time I used it I almost drowned at Sebring as I was unable to get the bite guard out of my mouth and as we bounced through Turn 17, my jaw was closing on the bite valve, and the drink was just pouring down my throat, all the while I was holding my breath through that total commitment turn. I have changed the bite guard to a 90 degree swivel system and I have got the drowning somewhat beat!

• Andy L likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I almost lost my coffee while reading your experience at Sebring Danny haha.

I think I will go ahead with the drilling of the helmet and the quick connects. I may have to move my radio mic around but it's location isn't as critical. I guess I was more curious about the logistics of actually getting the bite valve to my mouth and not having to keep it there for the whole race. The sliding tube seems like it would fit the bill. I take it there are no issues with tech by modifying the helmet? I know the FIA frowns on it but I don't think NASA/SCCA has any comments on the issue. 

Thanks again Danny.

• Danny Steyn likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

In the interests of completing the thread, I went ahead with drilling the helmet. I used some extra cool suit quick disconnects that I got from Winding Road Racing for 25ish bucks. I used a longer section of hose on the helmet to make sure I have enough slack to move my head. I also added some velcro around the tube and to the side of the helmet to help keep it secure when I'm getting in/out of the car. I reused the bite valve from my drink bottle and the tube comes in the helmet right below my radio mic so everything is packaged nicely.

IMG_2975_zpsas7ncve9.jpg

On the car side. I just ran the drink tube through the center net and put a couple of zip ties to keep it from flopping around. I'll be testing it this weekend at Road Atlanta but so far I like it a whole lot better than trying to get a drink tube in from under the helmet. Much faster getting to the bite valve.

• Danny Steyn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users