B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
I didn't see but did scca follow nasa with the lower weight for the 1.6 ?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
I only see those 2 changes...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Randy Wolfgram

Randy Wolfgram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:19

http://scca.cdn.race...track-mar 1.pdf

94-97 Miata. 47mm plate!

01-05 weight....2425

How long is it typically before we can get the bigger plate?  Assuming it will be effective for this coming weekend's SFR season opener.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
No idea if SCCA enterprises has them...call I guess? I wouldn't worry for the first event! I hope I didn't throw mine out!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

No idea if SCCA enterprises has them...call I guess? I wouldn't worry for the first event! I hope I didn't throw mine out!

I think there are more 47mm plates in existence than cars to use them.  

• Mike Collins, Jim Drago and tferranti like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Lol Tom. So 6 plates should cover it?
  • Mike Collins and Jim Drago like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Is the lack of anything for the 1.6 because they are waiting for feedback on the list of possible changes (with no supporting data)?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Yeah, maybe Mr. Drago should create a new classified category on this site for restrictor plates.  Sam Henry probably has more than 6 47mm plates himself if he can find them.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

*fingers crossed that NASA adopts the new plates and I can get one before next weekend*

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
So, if nasa was "just following scca's lead" wtfo?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Randy Wolfgram

Randy Wolfgram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:19

In that case, Ron, if you find your plate, maybe you can rent it out to the highest bidder :-D

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

*fingers crossed that NASA adopts the new plates and I can get one before next weekend*

A small sample I know, but this past weekend in SoCal NASA (at Willow Springs) there was 1 win & 2 P2's by an NA8...  A few others in the top 10 AND a at least one 1.6.  Great mix of car types and this was before the changes that take effect today.

So, if nasa was "just following scca's lead" wtfo?

NASA did not believe that for their customer base the NA8 change was warranted at this time.  However, NASA did feel that the 1.6 should get a tad more help off the corners and thought SMAC;s idea of -15lbs was a good one to try. 

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

A small sample I know, but this past weekend in SoCal NASA (at Willow Springs) there was 1 win & 2 P2's by an NA8...  A few others in the top 10 AND a at least one 1.6.  Great mix of car types and this was before the changes that take effect today.

NASA did not believe that for their customer base the NA8 change was warranted at this time.  However, NASA did feel that the 1.6 should get a tad more help off the corners and thought SMAC;s idea of -15lbs was a good one to try. 

Johns first post on the subject....

NASA Spec Miata has approved some competition adjustments effective March 2 2015:

• The 1.6 cars minimum weight will reduced by 25lbs to 2275.00lbs ( or 2290.00lbs with overbore)
  • The 2001+ cars minimum weight has been increased by 15lbs by to 2415.00lbs (or 2430.00lbs with overbore)
  • There will not be a restrictor plate change on the 1994-97 cars at this time.  As currently configured this model has won races in several NASA regions.

I should note that these are recommendations that came from the new incarnation of SMAC.  From SMAC's recommendations these were the two that NASA believed made since for their customers.

I don't know SCCA's process to arrive at these weight changes or how they get approved and announced.  NASA can move really fast, not bound by all the regulations and such.  If they make sense and helps keep the organizations 'together' then it gets done.  Expect something similar to come soon for SCCA.

So pretty funny both organizations made changes...but none of them matched! Old times!!

Ron

RAmotorsports

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

So pretty funny both organizations made changes...but none of them matched! Old times!!

Not so funny if you ask me.    I feel bad that NASA acted early, should've been the same day, I should have asked a few more questions on WHEN the announcement was being made...  Regardless, probably wouldn't have changed the differences between the two for the time being.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Well Regardless of whether the back channel talk worked or not, or this is a surprise or not, since NASA is the flexible one here I would expect NASA to follow suit for the good of the class.  It is way more of a consumer problem (average consumer) that there are differences club to club in this particular class, than the miniscule tweaks in the name of performance adjustments (15 lbs?!).   The tires being different just about max out the consumer good will on this issue.

Kyle

• Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Mmm I wouldn't trot out that particular data point...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Also:  There are 4 people in this region that this effects, that actively run both clubs.  A 94, 96, 96, and 95. 

Kyle

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I don't see weight & plate differences being much of a disincentive to running with both clubs. Tires on the other hand, BIG disincentive.
  • KentCarter, Cnj and FTodaro like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
That's funny,NASA thinks the 1.6 needs to lose 25lbs and they are running the smaller tire size yet SCCA thinks it's fine and we are running the larger tire size. Wow that's funny !!!

Paging Pat,Pat,come to the front desk please ! :)

Someone wake up Pat,I think he must be napping !

Sorry had to do it ! :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users