Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

http://scca.cdn.race...TL-Schedule.pdf

I have not been to a race that has 3 qualifying sessions other than run-offs.  Will the fastest time of the three set the grid for Saturday and Sunday? 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Would seem like almost a normal weekend schedule where "practice" has been replaced with "Qual"?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Car Number:72

The problem with multiple qualifying sessions is that it requires you to be at you best for all three qualifying sessions.  If you are not sorted out by session #1 and the best qualifying conditions happen that day (cool weather, no rain) you are out of luck.

At least Qual 1 & Qual 3 are at the same time of day while during Qual 2 the track might be 20°F warmer.

Pat

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

The Atlanta National and Majors has been this way for years on Friday.  The day on Friday is two qual sessions, and you better get it done in the AM.  Not sure about the Saturday qualifying sessions.

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

The problem with multiple qualifying sessions is that it requires you to be at you best for all three qualifying sessions.  If you are not sorted out by session #1 and the best qualifying conditions happen that day (cool weather, no rain) you are out of luck.

At least Qual 1 & Qual 3 are at the same time of day while during Qual 2 the track might be 20°F warmer.

Pat

This is true, but everyone has the same schedule, running under the same conditions as everyone else.  In my opinion, a great driver should be able to qualify well in the session with the most optimal conditions even if his car isn't perfect sorted out yet.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Car Number:59

I think the issue is having qual quality tires for each of the three sessions, instead of a set of junkish tires for the first practice and two good sets for the qual sessions.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

This is true, but everyone has the same schedule, running under the same conditions as everyone else.  In my opinion, a great driver should be able to qualify well in the session with the most optimal conditions even if his car isn't perfect sorted out yet.

The issue isn't about can a driver get it done in just one qualifying session.  It is the waste of quality time,  I would rather have one practice session and a qual on Saturday and a short qual session for Sunday's race.  Why should an entire weekend be predicated on what you get done on the first of 3 qual sessions  Why even have 3 if that is the most likely scenario.  I bet some people would love to have had another shot at a qual for Sunday's race at NOLA.  The track was so hard to pass at your qualifying position was crucial to your results.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I just read the supps and each qualifying session applies to all races. And if you have a better time in the Sat race than in qualifying, that will count for Sunday. There is no qualifying on Sunday due to quiet time and long races.

Atlanta Region has no control over making the race a two day or three day event. The National office dictates this. And, as far as I can remember, this is the first time I ever remember anyone complaining about too many qualifying sessions. But, I do remember many complaining when we do not make all sessions qualifying. Can't win!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I just read the supps and each qualifying session applies to all races. And if you have a better time in the Sat race than in qualifying, that will count for Sunday. There is no qualifying on Sunday due to quiet time and long races.

Atlanta Region has no control over making the race a two day or three day event. The National office dictates this. And, as far as I can remember, this is the first time I ever remember anyone complaining about too many qualifying sessions. But, I do remember many complaining when we do not make all sessions qualifying. Can't win!

Jim, great answer, thank you for the info.

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

The RE of Atlanta Region just advised that the Region will waive all late fees for anyone who has not yet registered and still wants to race. There are 35 cars entered and some of the big guns are staying away. Good chance to put some new faces on the podium. And SM is group 2 so you can get an early jump on the ride home. Paddock opens Wednesday evening, test day on Thursday and for those who might not be able to get to track until Sat, there is an AM qualifying for the Sat race and you can use your best time from that qualifying or the race for the Sun starting position.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Still a lot of fast guys there even without carbonell and bolanos who are at sebring. Surprised to see no Cliff Brown or East street registered.  Even without a lot of the players, should still be a good race.  John Carter is back and was fast at sebring in february. My top 5 in no particular order:

Selin

Machavern

Steyn

Buras

Elivan

My wild card bet is on Mark "The Mayor" Gibbons! I picked him at Homestead to podium and he did so i would say my opinion is pretty valid :) 

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Not the start of the season I had hoped for...
Skipped Sebring
Out race one, lap one, corner one at Nola.. back is still bothering me
Skipping Atlanta as cars are just not going to be ready.

Atlanta is one of my favorites and have won a majors race there the last two years.. sucks to have to skip. :(

Best of luck to all those attending!

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

If all goes as planned, Ross and Haldeman will be there as well.  Chris is still putting the cars back together from NOLA, will know shortly if they will be loaded onto the trailer tonight. 

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Just arrived in Los Angeles from Australia. After 40 hours of travel I will be at Road Atlanta to give my best. Really disappointed that Jim and the East Street boys plus Bolanos and Carbonell will not be there. Always more fun when the top drivers are entered. Still a very deep field and expect that it will be really close. Also will be interesting to see if the VVT prevails here or if the back straight just gives too much passing advantage to the 99's

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Just arrived in Los Angeles from Australia. After 40 hours of travel I will be at Road Atlanta to give my best. Really disappointed that Jim and the East Street boys plus Bolanos and Carbonell will not be there. Always more fun when the top drivers are entered. Still a very deep field and expect that it will be really close. Also will be interesting to see if the VVT prevails here or if the back straight just gives too much passing advantage to the 99's

I was just looking at results from last year.  Mainly a '99-00 field with a win from both Bolanos and Drago...Dillon was the strongest 01+ car who finished 2nd both races, but Dillon also posted the fastest times both races.  However, I believe both wins came from passes on the last lap late on the back straightaway going in to 10a-10b. My opinion is the 99 has the advantage on the last lap if in a close battle with the 01+. 

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I was just looking at results from last year.  Mainly a '99-00 field with a win from both Bolanos and Drago...Dillon was the strongest 01+ car who finished 2nd both races, but Dillon also posted the fastest times both races.  However, I believe both wins came from passes on the last lap late on the back straightaway going in to 10a-10b. My opinion is the 99 has the advantage on the last lap if in a close battle with the 01+. 

I agree    but then someone decided to add 25 more pounds to the VVT cars.   It doesn't stand a chance now....   :)

ALL jokes aside it should be a great weekend of racing---Good Luck to all!!!

• Danica Davison likes this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FrankS

FrankS

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes

I had this conversation this morning.. If I had two top prepped cars and 01 and a 99.. I would chose the 99/00 at Road Atlanta. That is not to say the VVT can't win. The cars are really close, before and after the 25 lbs on the VVT.  

FrankS

FrankS

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes

I lost race on second to last lap pass on Saturday and went to 4th.. Sunday I took the lead earlier and never gave it back.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

The VVT had two places where it had an clear advantage on the 99.  Exit of turn 7,  and up out of 10B to the top of the hill.  It was still not enough to hold the 99 off from 7-10a, it could hold the 99 off from SF to turn in at 1.  Other than that I would car the cars neutral on the rest of the track.  Maybe the VVT had a little more grunt from 1-3 but what would you do with it.  You could only catch up to the 99 not pass.  The 99 is better weapon, especially with the extra 25 lbs helping neutralize some of the VVT's advantage.   

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

My most recent race at Road Atlanta was the 2014 ARRC where I finished 3rd to Dillon Mac and Chris Topping after screwing up 10A on the last lap under pressure.

The video below clearly illustrates the VVT and 99 car's relative strengths and weaknesses. On that particular day both Dillon and I remarked that we both felt that the two platforms were very equal there and a driver would be hard pressed to choose one over the other. In fact on test day I went quicker with the VVT, but I felt that the 99 would provide the better racing platform due to the nature of the passing opportunities that are basically limited to T10 and the exit of T10B, sometimes allowing passes before T12 and before T1.

This weekend we will have the opportunity to see the relative benefits of each platform once more, this time however with the additional 25lbs of weight that was added to the VVT. Still not sure which car I plan to run. At NOLA the two cars ran withing 3/100ths of a second of each other, but NOLA has multiple sections with extended G-loads and consequential tire scrubbing and that made me lean toward the VVT.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Majors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users