B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
I was just wondering what your thoughts are about Nelson Ledges.

Would you return or go to race there if the track and grounds where renovated ?

Your thoughts about adding an extra mile to the track to have a short 2 mile track or a 3 mile long course weekend ?

What about putting in a kart track as well ?

Or any other suggestion you might have about what can be done !
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I am normally not one that thinks about safety all that much when going racing.  but I have to say this is the one track I am afraid to go off.  seen some very mangled cars that went off into the trees.

To me make some runoff areas  and sand traps especially exiting the carousel and t1, fix the tire walls that are built like launching ramps, repave the track...

I think the track layout is cool. adding another mile would be awesome though

the surrounding area for hotels and food is horrible, the scca region that runs the races that are held there has less then zero tech which is a huge turn off to me. 

there's my 2cents

• FTodaro and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
I had the same kind of thoughts about the place. The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to work something out with someone and trying to feel out if it's worth putting money into the place.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I'm probably the only one here that will ever say this....This track is on my bucket list as I haven't been there in about 15 years and never in a Miata.  I have so many great memories of the place from when I was a kid and racing years ago.  It would be great if management could get their act together or if new management took over and got the place operating well again.  Yeah, it's alway been a dingy facility without many nearby amenities but the track is a blast IMO and I remember some great racing there over the years.  Don't like seeing race tracks fail. Even some of the big ones have had financial and management issues over the years.  Like many businesses, it's a tough one. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Go back? I never left! I ran the events there in 2014 - planned on running the 2015 events until they all were cancelled. I like having more than one track to visit in Ohio.

NL could be a real gem of the midwest. SMs average 90 mph on the current crappy surface. To do it right would take $3 or $4 million for a complete repave and to rehab the structures, a la VIR.

As far as safety goes - how many people have destroyed cars at Watkins Glen and Road America? I can't recall more than one or two write-offs at NL.

And as for amenities - you just need to know where to look. (hint - opposite direction of Warren)

Kuch - you know some investors?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

https://www.youtube....h?v=-hIXkJ5eVKE

J~

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
My road racing life began at Nelson ledges in 1989 on 2 wheels. Love the place! Never made it there with a car yet but would Love too !
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

I would like to see more tire walls.  :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I find Nelsons one of my favorite places to race. I think with the tire walls and woods it is also one of the most dangerous places at the same time. 

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=Z5EisF1rzew

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Go back? I never left! I ran the events there in 2014 - planned on running the 2015 events until they all were cancelled. I like having more than one track to visit in Ohio.

NL could be a real gem of the midwest. SMs average 90 mph on the current crappy surface. To do it right would take $3 or $4 million for a complete repave and to rehab the structures, a la VIR.

As far as safety goes - how many people have destroyed cars at Watkins Glen and Road America? I can't recall more than one or two write-offs at NL.

And as for amenities - you just need to know where to look. (hint - opposite direction of Warren)

Kuch - you know some investors?

I'm working on it !
Kuch

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

J~

Johnny Those are a couple of old racesI remember both of those races. The first video you posted I had pole and decided to start in the back of the 25 car field. I got up to the lead and then I pulled in early. I didn't want to mess up anyones points for the year so I came in a lap early. I just wanted some practice with passing. :)

That second video I think was a National race and I remember seeing that in my mirror,that got ugly real quick and I don't even remember how or who was involved in that wreck.
Kuch

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

I would like to see more tire walls.  :)

Pat you don't think they have enough tires ? Lol :)
Kuch

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

J~

Mike C would remember this one !
Kuch

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
http://youtu.be/NFdHtozp_BE

Here is mine ! :)
Kuch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny Those are a couple of old racesI remember both of those races. The first video you posted I had pole and decided to start in the back of the 25 car field. I got up to the lead and then I pulled in early. I didn't want to mess up anyones points for the year so I came in a lap early. I just wanted some practice with passing. :)

That second video I think was a National race and I remember seeing that in my mirror,that got ugly real quick and I don't even remember how or who was involved in that wreck.

I thought I saw you pass the guy at the 3min mark.

J~

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

I thought I saw you pass the guy at the 3min mark.
J~

I passed him and I was pushing a friend of mine for two laps trying to help him out.
Kuch

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The current design is in my mind extremely dangerous. I say this "Denny" because there is no runoff and recovery at this track, if you drop a wheel just about anyplace your going to hit something hard and destroy the car. I cannot think of any other place that this is true everywhere.

Having said that it has history and the layout is fast, and fun. If they fixed the safety issues, and fixed the facilitates so its not so 1920's i would go back. However after climbing the tire wall at the exit of the carousel a few years ago, i vowed to not return.

SCCA canceled its events there this year as i understand it, Management is also an issue now in addition-to the track conditions.

Kuch, if you paved it, replaced the bathrooms and showers, put in some gravel traps and you might sell it out.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

bvondran

bvondran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I LOVE Nelson Ledges.  It's my home track and first track I ever drove.  I raced there thrice in 2013 (i think we met in October) and twice in 2014, and I've been working races there with MVR since 2007. 

It could definitely use some spots repaved, but I don't know that I would pave all the track, might lose too much of its character and actually make it more dangerous if speeds icrease too much.  There are spots, however, where the surface is completely alligatored and loos, and only held down by some sealant.  And drainage under a lot of the track is gone

Would need to rebuild a lot of tire wall.  The tires are completely breaking down and have no support structure, so they become a ramp.  Would need to band and bolt a lot of tires.  And probably dig out behind the tires to provide some support structure behind the tires.  I'm certain that we could get some volunteers out to help this along, but you would need to find a source for tires AND a place to dispose of the old tires.

And cut the grass.  (At the spring race last year, a miata went off at turn one.  Couldn't see him as the grass was taller than the roof of his car.)

And get new management, the guys running that place now are a clown shop.

All those things are a good start to getting the facility back in racing shape.

MVR did a lot of work last year with the owner and his son identifying what needed to be fixed at the track (well, MVR members did a little work and Reed Kryder did a LOT of work).  It's all fixable and I think there's a spot for a track like Nelson.  I honestly have no idea what it would cost, but would love to see it happen. 

I'm wishing you the best of luck.  I'd be happy to help any way that I can.

Brian

#57SM

bvondran

bvondran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I think that was the MARRS race weekend, and there were close to or north of 50 cars in that run group.  I was working sound control (easiest job at the track) and watched it. YIKES!

Brian

#57SM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users