1 reply to this topic

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Year:1992
Any news from National race at Roebling?

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
So here’s the scoop from Roebling

With just a single event at a not-so-exciting track, it was a predictably low turnout, with only 11 cars entered for SM. A lot of the usual players showed up, Cliffie Brown, Van Vurst, myself, Labounty, Eric Brumme, Bruce Anderson, Charbonneau* and new kid Steven Hickman.

*But WAIT - Andrew wasn’t running SM!! :blink: He was entered in SSB. WTF???:o So here is the scoop on our fearless leader. He has already qualified for the Runoffs in SM via the 4 Florida races, and he is not chasing points. So what is Andrew doing???? The madman is planning to qualify and run 4 classes at the runoffs. SM, SSB, STU and SRF!!!! Only Andrew!!! :D

Anyway back to the Roebling race. Most SM drivers double dipped and ran the STU as well. The STU race was run in a downpour, and we had all kinds of cars in this class, ranging from MG Midget to a T1 Corvette. Of course in the rain I was in my element and I lapped the entire field except for Cliff Brown, and then pulled off to prepare for the SM race. Cliffie Brown continued to win his first national race, Andrew finished 2nd, and Sam Moore in his E Prod BMW was 3rd. I had the time of my life literally sideways for 19 straight laps. Unfortunately my video failed and I can’t show you the grin on my face or any of the several agricultural adventures. SO MUCH FUN.

40 minutes later was the SM race. The rain had moved on, but the track was still damp with a few puddles. Everyone was wrestling with the real dilemma of whether to go out on rains or shaved. Most opted for shaved, except for Cliffie and Eric. Unfortunately for them, shaved was the right call. Jeff was on pole, Chip 2nd me 3rd and Cliffie 4th. The conditions in the opening laps were treacherous, no grip, lots of long slides, some controlled, some not so much, and we were all very tentative exploring the limits.

At the end of the first lap, I got passed Chip and Jeff, and pulled away, but as the track started drying, Chip found a line that I had not seen and started closing. He passed me with 6 laps to go. For the next 6 laps I tried everything to get by him, but he drove one hell of a defensive but very clean race.

Roebling has very few passing opportunities, and Chip defended well. I put my nose in everywhere. Going around the outside of Chip through Turn 1 on a wet track was my only choice, but I could never make the pass stick despite trying it 5 times!!!! We crossed the line less than a bumper apart. This is the 3rd race in a row where Chip and I have swapped the lead and finished side-by-side. Jeff finished 3rd and Cliffie was 4th. Andrew won the SSB race handily. Stephen Hickham had the FRL, and 5 drivers went faster that Chip and I. Guess dogging it side to side aint the fastest way around the track!!!

Many thanks to my engine builder Mike Rossini, to Tom, Pete and Lettie at OPM for the great trackside service, and thanks to Traqmate for the data.

Look forward to seeing you all at the Road Atlanta double national.

Here is a video of the last 5 laps of the SM race, nose to tail with Chip! Click through to Youtube and watch in HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvg3OgU-eV0

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users