Photo

Do you know Jack ?? Really I don't make this stuff up.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

From the desk of Jack Track.

We are looking for enthusiastic, charismatic, and energetic (two out of three ain't bad) individuals that can help spread the Tracknight word in your area. For your efforts, you will be showered with swag, appreciated and, when there are Track Night VIP opportunities, you'll be first in line.
Interested? Go to the Champions Page and tell us about you and what makes you a great Tracknight Champ. Tell us about the communities you are in, connections you have and ways you would like to help Tracknight grow.
http://www.tracknigh...come-a-champion

See ya on Track,

Jack Track
Lead Factologist
www.tracknightinamerica.com

Ask Jack!

You have questions,

Jack has answers!

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Wow.  Just wow.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Wow.  Just wow.

I'm not sure what that means, but I find the pushback on the TNiA concept interesting (and not in a good way):

• The program is designed to introduce new people to the idea they can have fun with their cars (and with SCCA) without spending a boatload of money on specialized equipment.
  • The events are being conducted (monthly) on weekday evenings, so it's not like like they're taking track time away from current racers.
  • Although there have been some false starts with communication, enlightened regions will see these events as an opportunity to appeal to new audiences.
  • The events need people to take ownership of promoting the events to various communities SCCA currently doesn't reach, so "Jack Track" is asking for help.
  • We MIGHT even get some new racers/members out of it!

Why the negative comments? (or am I misunderstanding what you're saying)

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'm not sure on the marketing, if they were trying for a Retro feel but, Hokey comes to mind for me.

I'm not sure your audience so maybe that will works, Make it cool, fun and cheap and teens will be there.

For me any track is a few hours away so I'm not sure, I'm driving a few hours, to drive a few hours at the track, to drive a few hours to get back home on  a week night.

In SFR we already have a club that will do all these levels/teaching for $127 a day, On weekends, about every month.

FYI,

NASA does a lunch time "follow the pace car" in your car, track experience.

I believe SCCA/NASA have the option for you to sign up to ride in the Pace car at the events for a race.

It's new, it's rough, tune it, it will get better.

Good luck.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

And just because it might not be for you (even though it COULD benefit you in the long run by generating more interest in racing), that doesn't mean you should denigrate the effort. As I've often said to Jim Pantas of NASA-SE, anything either of us can do to get more people to the track benefits both of us in the long run.

The first one in the Atlanta area will be at Atlanta Motorsports Park on Tuesday, April 7. That's about 30 minutes from my house, so I'll be there to help out even though my car is not eligible to run. Maybe it will be a rousing success, maybe it will fall on it's face, but it's something different that MAY appeal to a whole new audience of potential enthusiasts.

As always, YMMV...

Butch Kummer

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

My intent to the post was to attract attention, see the views. :)

30 mins, perfect.

Get feed back from those who come, nevermind, you know what your doing.

I'll post the next events too.

People here get the word out.

Good luck,

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

J~ hit the nail on the head.  

My comment was not about the program itself.  J~ makes several good comments about the program, though. 

However, I do marvel at the nature of the MARKETING.  My take on the language and tone of the message is that it is designed to appeal to script kiddies, and street tuners---the neon underbelly crowd.  If I were a low-20-something hipster....MAAAAAYBE this approach would appeal to me, but I don't think so.

I think the concept of getting new blood by trying to break down barriers to entry is good.  But, I think the idea that the type of person that this marketing scheme would appeal to are the types that have the disposable income is flawed.  What do I know, I haven't seen the demographic data. 

Your point is taken.  I'll stand back and see what happens. 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

However, I do marvel at the nature of the MARKETING.  My take on the language and tone of the message is that it is designed to appeal to script kiddies, and street tuners---the neon underbelly crowd.  If I were a low-20-something hipster....MAAAAAYBE this approach would appeal to me, but I don't think so.

I think the concept of getting new blood by trying to break down barriers to entry is good.  But, I think the idea that the type of person that this marketing scheme would appeal to are the types that have the disposable income is flawed.  What do I know, I haven't seen the demographic data. 

Your point is taken.  I'll stand back and see what happens. 

I haven't seen the demographic data either, but the fact that this doesn't appeal to me means it MIGHT appeal to those that aren't on Medicare and have been racing in one form or another for 40+ years. Most reasonable people agree we need to attract new people to our sport, so I applaud those in Topeka (Heyward Wagner specifically) for trying out new ways to introduce the younger generations to the concept of having fun with their cars.

I just didn't understand the negative tone from the beginning...

Butch Kummer

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

https://www.youtube....h?v=Zt317SKG-lM
J~

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
Hey - pleased to see SCCA try something new. Hope they are successful. As far as the marketing, I don't get the negatives - but suppose everything is subjective. It's not particularly edgy or oriented to millennials, just a little playful. Sorta like Tom :)

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Please don't anyone take this post as negative.

Within the SCCA we now have:

Club Racing (where it all started), W2W, physical, license and head and neck restraint required.

PDX/Club Trial/ Track Trial  

Track Night in America

CRE, Club Racing Experience, W2W, no physical required, no license required and no head and heck restraint required.

Point of my post is, Club Racing and Club Racing Experience are very similar (yes maybe the Club Racing Experience drivers are being watched more closely.), yet Club Racing drivers require a physical, a license and a head and neck restraint and Club Racing Experience drivers do not have these same requirements. Help me understand the non requirements for the Club Racing Experience drivers.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

.... It's not particularly edgy or oriented to millennials, just a little playful. Sorta like Tom :)

CNJ

LMAO.   B)

....Wait til I can hang with the big boys in the pack. 

• Cnj likes this

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Please don't anyone take this post as negative.

Within the SCCA we now have:

Club Racing (where it all started), W2W, physical, license and head and neck restraint required.

PDX/Club Trial/ Track Trial  

Track Night in America

CRE, Club Racing Experience, W2W, no physical required, no license required and no head and heck restraint required.

Point of my post is, Club Racing and Club Racing Experience are very similar (yes maybe the Club Racing Experience drivers are being watched more closely.), yet Club Racing drivers require a physical, a license and a head and neck restraint and Club Racing Experience drivers do not have these same requirements. Help me understand the non requirements for the Club Racing Experience drivers.

My read of the rules that Johnny posted is that CRX is more like glorified HPDE.  ZERO tolerance for contact, barely more than that for dropping 2-wheels, 4-wheels, or a spin.  No passing in the turns.  Its some hybrid between HPDE2, and TT.  SM/ITA is the upper end of the performance spectrum. 

Strict rules of conduct with strict enforcement with either 1 and done, or 2 and done policies. No appeals process---SoM rule is law. Its a long way from CRX to true W2W. 

Logistically it sounds workable. 

-tch

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Tom, I like to believe I read quite well. I get the 1, 2, 3 and 4 wheels off and ya get the FLAG. I get the spin and in. No where n my rule reading dose it say, no passing in the turns. The rule dose say racing will follow the GCR section 6, Racing Rules and Procedures. That would be the same rules SCCA Club Racing follows.

Hence my question, no license, no physical and no head and neck restraint for CRE. < That's my question, why are CRE (Club Racing Experience) drivers allowed the license, physical and head and neck restraint leeway?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

http://scca.cdn.race...s/CRE-Rules.pdf

See page 1.

Driver Conduct:

Any driver driving in a careless, unsafe or erratic manner will receive a Black Flag and must immediately report to the Hot Pit Area for a conference with the Chief Steward (or Chief Instructor). Unsafe driving includes, but is not limited to: off course excursions (including 2 or 4 wheels off course), spins, and passing in corners.

-tch

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

There's a reason I received the broken record award.

Please fine me the rule that states no passing in turns per your previous post/comment.

Please inform me per ,my previous post/comment, why the CRE drivers require no physical, no license and no head and neck restraint.

Two simple questions ^, nothing more, nothing less.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I haven't seen the demographic data either, but the fact that this doesn't appeal to me means it MIGHT appeal to those that aren't on Medicare and have been racing in one form or another for 40+ years. Most reasonable people agree we need to attract new people to our sport, so I applaud those in Topeka (Heyward Wagner specifically) for trying out new ways to introduce the younger generations to the concept of having fun with their cars.

I just didn't understand the negative tone from the beginning...

Butch, there was another thread on this topic and I left a positive post on TNiA.  I think it'll be successful at least in some geographic areas and hope it does well.  As drivers we should support it locally by volunteering now and then.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

David-

Yes, there is: its because you repeat the same damn sh*t, without paying attention to what anyone else has said.  You are like a 5 year old who keeps demanding a f*cking cookie, no matter how many times Dad says, "No. And if you ask again I'm going beat your ass!" 

I just did.  This:

Any driver driving in a careless, unsafe or erratic manner will receive a Black Flag and must immediately report to the Hot Pit Area for a conference with the Chief Steward (or Chief Instructor). Unsafe driving includes, but is not limited to: off course excursions (including 2 or 4 wheels off course), spins, and passing in corners.

is an exact cut&paste from, SCCA Club Racing Experience (CRE) Appendix A – 14-CRE-3259-S, page 1, section "Driver Conduct", paragraph 1, bullet 1.

These ARE the CRE rules.  Futher, its says "not limited to"...so the Chief Instructor/Steward has the right to call someone in for anything else that he finds egregious. 

If this is the way it is ACTUALLY run, then its like HPDE withouth the point-by, and with scoring.  Its less than TT because you can't pass in the corners.  And ALL questionable driving results in a conversation.  that will send the message that you better stay within your comfort zone so that major mistakes JUST DONT HAPPEN.  If that is enforced, and the fear of god is put into the drivers such that they comply, then I dont see a problem with it. 

-tch

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I applied...

But in all honesty this is what happens when non-marketing people do marketing ;)

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

I applied...

But in all honesty this is what happens when non-marketing people do marketing ;)

Your a marketing guy? I thought you were a live events production guy (day job)?

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users