• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

John, I disagree. why does this makes sense for endurance racing but not sprint racing? Because you don't have guys coming out of the pits? My very first race I was blag flagged for a window net drop. At MRLS this weekend I was black flagged with a hood latch not closed,. Both times I rejoined the race.

I would ask; why is there this huge need to make passes crossed over the blend lines? It is one thing to be forced over. It is another thing to use it as a tool.

Also, during the drivers meeting the blend line was not originally communicated as "just don't hit the cones". Chris originally said dont cross the blend line. It was only after drivers started asking questions as to what that meant was it offered up as a solution to "just don't hit the cones". And it is total BS to use as an excuse; "well you guys didn't say what we should do if the cones became dislodged during the race". So now we have to address every possible contingency during the drivers meeting???!!!! Fing drivers!!! Primadonnas ( including me). And what is our excuse about not knowing what to do under yellow/red flag? Should we have to review that during the drivers meetings now too? Not saying that reviewing during drivers meetings is a bad thing. I am only saying that a review during the drivers meetings should be an above and beyond the call of duty thing and not a requirement in order to use common sense. And as for the old beg for forgiveness adage. I am appalled at that being an acceptable excuse. This isn't work or home. This is driving expensive sports cars within millimeters of each other. I would expect a bit more maturity from adult drivers than using a fall back excuse of beg for forgiveness. Maybe its just me that is the primadonna John. But in my opinion you can't have it both ways. You want to be able to have reasonable confidence you are driving your car onto the trailer after the weekend but you also want to act like its the wild west out there. You want all those around you to behave but have the personal out of ambiguity to justify bad behavior.  IMO, there is nothing even remotely controversial in what I am suggesting about not crossing the pit out lines.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Why? I am a bit surprised at the question, but here goes;

1. Pit out and blend lines mark areas of the track where there is a very really possibility of two cars being in very close proximity at drastically different speeds.

2. Cars in pit out do not yet have the handling of cars on a hot track ( cold tires and brakes ).

3. The physical lines give us an opportunity to remove ambiguity from judgements. In so many cases calls need to be made as to whether something is inside or outside of a space that we arbitrarily define like 3/4 car width, nose to the door, ETC ETC. Distinct lines allow us to make the calls and to provide absolute determination that a crossing was violated or not.

4. Cars in pit out rightfully think that they are outside of the racing surface and protected from cars at full speed. When I say protected I mean protected from anyone deciding to race in their non racing space.

If we go back and take a look at the video of the gentleman that was DQ during one session of the champs, and envision a car being in the pit out lane as those moves were happening. I think it would scare the shit out of anyone coming down the pit out. Especially at Mazda with the blind crest of the hill and potentially not being able to see if anyone is in the pit out lane. Just too much going on with no good reason that I can think of to allow encroachment. I think the better question than why we shouldn't allow racing in the pit out would be; for what possible reason should we allow racing in the pit out?

It's downhill, and the racers can avoid slower cars like they always do.  Pit out guy (if there even is one) will be fine if he hugs the left and merges in after 2.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Rob, serious? That is the solution? Pit out guy hug the left because someone might be coming into your marked and designated lane? Come on, you know how wide the pitout is at MRLS moving over to the left means moving over a foot.

No one has seriously answered why the need to cross over the lines in the first place. Why do you have to have that option and still have fun and still make a clean pass?

Just because the frequency of something happening is low doesn't mean that you don't follow common sense safety practices. So are you suggesting that we should be allowed to race in the pitout lanes? If so cool. I think it is a bad, but I have always said, If you guys want the rules as something, no problem, just let me know ahead of time what that rule is and I will comply whether I like it or not. So, how about this; for sprint racing the pitout at MRLS is part of the racing surface and can be used at will. For endurance racing the pitout is not to be encroached.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Oh gawd make it stop.....     :deadhorse:    Let it go you two.  It's so over.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

John, why do you care if Rob and I let it go? Just stop reading. But if you do read and comment, maybe provide a rationale for your comment that my views are good for endurance but not for sprint.

But I'll take your advice. What would you like to talk about? 1.6 parity?

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John, why do you care if Rob and I let it go? Just stop reading. But if you do read and comment, maybe provide a rationale for your comment that my views are good for endurance but not for sprint.

But I'll take your advice. What would you like to talk about? 1.6 parity?

Read your posts???  I can't read your posts man; I'm ADD and dyslexic, I get lost in massive blocks of text.  HAHAHA.

Come'on man.  Have a beer and have some fun bro. 

:pimp:

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Sounds good John. Glib useless comments coming up.

I vote for reducing the rule book to one paragraph for the folks with reading challenges. Maybe the rulebook should only read; SM 120HP or less. Yep, that should fit the bill; 4 words. Im ready for that beer now.

• john mueller likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

For what it is worth James, SCCA allows use of the whole track after S/F!  And when cars come onto the track they merge and complete turn 2...no motorcycle entrance. Never been an issue. Hot tows are far more unsafe!!!

I actually think the whole cone thing was a bad idea...not necessary for this event

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

http://www.mazdarace...guna-seca-local

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users