Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

This was a surprise...

I was aligning the car in the garage and noticed that this "washer" thing kept rotating past the horseshoe inset on one bolt in the rear subframe.  This was the pax rear control arm front bolt.   Took it apart and noticed that the washer's "teeth" / detents were gone and that the bolt had started to thread into it. 

Checked the other washer thingies and noticed that the detents were worn to sharp points on a few of them.

Any cause for this? 

Are these parts a wear item?

How often should they be checked?

This was with the "new" design camber bolts purchased new when I built the car in 2010.  It's had 1-2 alignments per year since then.  I ordered some replacement washers (they are available separately) and another 4 cam bolt, washer, nut "kits" just in case I find the camber bolt threads are hosed.

Thanks.

camber%2520washer%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Pretty normal occurrence after that much time.  Those have been worn out for a while, pretty far gone.  I was not aware that Mazda sells the washers separately.  You might consider replacing the entire bolt/washer/nut kit as the nuts and bolts also stretch.  I think Advanced Autosports sells a sturdier  bolt/washer/nut kit that should last a lot longer.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Pretty normal occurrence after that much time.  Those have been worn out for a while, pretty far gone.  I was not aware that Mazda sells the washers separately.  You might consider replacing the entire bolt/washer/nut kit as the nuts and bolts also stretch.  I think Advanced Autosports sells a sturdier  bolt/washer/nut kit that should last a lot longer.  

Really?  Didn't realize that

Also, didn't realize that Dave had one-upped Mazda and a better alternative was out there...

http://www.advanced-...3d94c3e90574ff1

Cam%202.jpg

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

To answer the questions, yes these are a wear item. Five or six allignments is all they last. In an emergency, replace the bad one. At your next allignment replace them all.

Mazda now sells the parts individually. You order a bolt, a washer and a nut seperately.

I sell them as a single cam set or as a car set (8 cams)

I am now working with the manufacturer for upgraded cams for the NC cars. Hope to have that worked out in the next few weeks.

dave

• Glenn Davis likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OctaneNation

OctaneNation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

I had one fail the first time I torqued it up. It was a brand new one from Mazda. The beefed up version. I added a bit of lube under the nut to the others and it didn't happen again. YMMV

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

FYI one of the reasons they fail is that if you leave the bolt to tight when your adjusting it will just strip out that notch. They will last a little longer if you have the bolt loose when adjusting.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Dave's beefier piece looks nice - whether you use that or stock, putting grease under the NUT (and ONLY the NUT), while keeping the washer-to-subframe interface squeaky clean, will keep your applied torque and nut-to-washer friction from trying to spin and "strip" those eccentric washer tabs. 

• FTodaro likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Thanks for the info and lube ideas.

If I had more time, I'm sure I could think of something funny to say about lubing the nuts

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I'm sure that about 532 jokes about shafts, nuts, rings, and lube.  But, who has the time to list them all?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
I noticed that the nuts were oblong, so they chew into the bolt. Providing that the cam's teeth haven't worn down, is it mainly the bolt that becomes the wear item and the nuts survive?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Several things contribute to the problem.

The bolts do not fit the sleeves tight enough. If the cams are not over tightened the sleeves will shift on the bolt. heard as a clunk in hard cornering force turns. especially transitions from side to side.

To cure issue number 1, we over tighten the bolts beyond their yield strength, thus loosing torque.

On budget builds, the suspension is not disassembled, the bolts seize in the bushings. When the cams are turned, the stress from being seized on the bushing puts even more strain on the bolts and the cam "teeth"

You must loosen the cams enough when adjusting.

You must hold the bolt when tightening the nut.

Failure to lube or at least have slippage between the nut and washer during adjustment

Because we over tighten the cams, they actually bend into a bowl shape. reducing the mateing surface between the washers and the subframe. So we over tighten some more.

Some times you can flip the cams over and get another allignment out of them.

We overtighten the bejesus out of these things because we are racing Barbie cars.

dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I had one fail the first time I torqued it up. It was a brand new one from Mazda. The beefed up version. I added a bit of lube under the nut to the others and it didn't happen again. YMMV

DING DING DING DING!

I look at it this way, the stackup of this joint is a friction "clutch", but you only want it clutching to the subframe and not the nut you are torquing right after you laser-aligned your 1mm of toe-in.

Clean everything so that the joint will hold.  Lightly Grease ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY the surface under the nut.  Alignments will be quicker, and bolts will last a LOOOOONNNG time.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I'm sure that about 532 jokes about shafts, nuts, rings, and lube.  But, who has the time to list them all?

You boob.  I don't even know you, and you are my favorite Texan.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

You boob. I don't even know you, and you are my favorite Texan.

I get that a lot.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

I was out in the garage earlier comparing and critiquing my old bolts, washers and nuts to new one from Mazda Motorsports and Advanced Autosports.  Even when new Mazda washers have a decent amount of slop in them when mounted in new bolts when compared to Dave's.  Having new examples of both in my hand, I would highly recommend the camber bolts from Advanced Autosports over the OE Mazda ones.  They are just that much better.  

I'm going to install them in the next couple of days.  Maybe I'll make a Saul Speedwell style video comparing the 3.

Also, after looking at my old bolts bought in 2010 from Mazda Motorsports and looking closely at the threads on the nuts, the nuts are done too.  They don't even thread onto the new bolts in a manner that feels right.  The new nuts thread onto the new bolts smoothly though.  These are definitely a wear item and need to be replaced with some frequency.  Let's see how Dave's parts hold up.

• Killian likes this

OctaneNation

OctaneNation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Are Dave's "Tech Shed Legal"?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Paraphrasing: Hardware items are free as long as they perform the same function, in the same manner and do not perform a non-compliant function. The exception being internal engine components.

dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Are Dave's "Tech Shed Legal"?

IDK.. If this was me.. It would never pass the bench racer test  ;)  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

IDK.. If this was me.. It would never pass the bench racer test  ;)  

IADGAF :bigsquaregrin:

For argument sake, what is the definition of "hardware"?  For argument sake and my :twocents: it could be anything from hardware store nuts, bolts and washers to computers to any part on a Miata. Therefore back in the day, cheating the ECU for fuel pressure and timing was legal from the get-go. :rotfl:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

IADGAF :bigsquaregrin:

For argument sake, what is the definition of "hardware"?  For argument sake and my :twocents: it could be anything from hardware store nuts, bolts and washers to computers to any part on a Miata. Therefore back in the day, cheating the ECU for fuel pressure and timing was legal from the get-go. :rotfl:

There you go not answering again.. Compliant or non compliant to GCR please? I know it's hard as Dave is one of your guys.. if it were me, it would be a lot easier :)

Discalimer: I could care less about Daves cam bolts

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users