Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

"Can you imagine if we enforced the rules on them to letter as written as they do to us? There are not enough nuns in the world with rulers to slap the hands of the officials for the number of infractions they make over and over with no recourse or consequence..."

So could this really happen ??

Would we end up waving our own flag and working the corners because they said F this sh!t or they got suspended ??

Or like they do to us, they'll bitch about for a while and then get over it and do what's asked of them.

Just asking  :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I protest officials all the time... I routinely win...nothing happens.

• Jim Drago likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So how do you get something to happen, then?

Can't really take them out back and give them an attitude adjustment.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Ya know I try to lean in favor of the volunteer workers.  Unless somebody is going out of their way to be difficult or incompetent, it's hard to be overly critical.  Most events are run very well.  Certainly we want events to run smoothly and without incident but we aren't always that fortunate.  Incidents like the VIR start last weekend really are unfortunate.  Both SCCA and NASA in my view put on very good events and when there is a breakdown, there is usually an effort to correct it going forward.  As a class our big numbers and close competition put some stress on the system but as a group we do bring on some of the trouble ourselves.    

• Alberto, Cnj, FTodaro and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I protest officials all the time... I routinely win...nothing happens.

You only think you won :).  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

You only think you won :).  

I'm with Tom.  If nothing changed, then you did NOT win.  Your were placated.  

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Everyone makes mistakes, fine, but not too many right ??

How about keep track and have the 3 strikes rule.

Then it's "we no longer require your services" good job though, here have a cookie.
J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Everyone makes mistakes, fine, but not too many right ??

How about keep track and have the 3 strikes rule.

Then it's "we no longer require your services" good job though, here have a cookie.
J~

With the thousands of crash damage as at VIR, some things as in un-safe track should not be tolerated.

They can have their SCCA license played with similar to ours. Except, like Mike stated, don't hold your breath.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Are you serious ???

In the SCCA at least the workers are unpaid volunteers. (You all knew that)

We should be kissing their left nut for volunteering 'cause without them playtime is over.

Favorite shirt seen worn by worker: "DFWMIVFTS"  (bet you can figure it out)

(Guess what - there ain't no waiting list to be able to work races)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Walter, kissing ass volunteer for this shit aside, would these same volunteer folks expect Pro teams/drivers to race on an un-safe track as was at VIR. NASA seems to get the job done with I presume paid corner workers.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Do we want quality or quantity ??

Ok, define volunteer...
Free lunch, Breakfast or dinner too ??
Lodging ?
Gas ?

So since we sign our life away entering gates, nobodies going to sue for negligence if somebody really gets hurt ?

Just asking.
J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

So suspend them, give them a time out, make them stand in the corner, tell them to go away... then good luck finding someone to replace them.

In my area the same people who volunteer for SCCA also work NASA events. My point being there is a very finite supply of good workers. (I've witnessed NASA to have numerous empty flagstands. NOT COOL)

No one is forcing you to walk through the gates.

• Alberto and MarekM like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I heard Jack Track is the Man!! and knows a bunch of people that could work the weekend in return for free track time at his event. :)

I won't say it.

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Jack Track is the Man!! and knows a bunch of people that could work the weekend in return for free track time at his event

And that makes them qualified workers how?

• MarekM likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Just assuming you have a bad apple or 2, that need replacing.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

If they did a track they know the flags now.

Sorry, I'm supplying ideas and possible warm bodies, you guys will have to do the rest.

Assuming there's an issue in the 1st place.

J~

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

Hey guys, at least up here in my corner of the world volunteer corner workers = salt of the earth. They stand out in the rain, take orders without question/complaint and are your best friend when you do have an incident. But there's another class of volunteers that aren't quite so unselfish in their motives. Up here, the higher levels in the volunteer worker hierarchy (like starters) are mostly either retired racers or Walter Mitty types that always wished they'd raced but never really had the nuts to do so. They can be 'difficult'. So I've got no problem knocking the uppty-up types, but lay off the corner workers!   :)  

• Johnny D likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Ya know I try to lean in favor of the volunteer workers.  Unless somebody is going out of their way to be difficult or incompetent, it's hard to be overly critical.  Most events are run very well.  Certainly we want events to run smoothly and without incident but we aren't always that fortunate.  Incidents like the VIR start last weekend really are unfortunate.  Both SCCA and NASA in my view put on very good events and when there is a breakdown, there is usually an effort to correct it going forward.  As a class our big numbers and close competition put some stress on the system but as a group we do bring on some of the trouble ourselves.    

99% of the time I agree with this.

But there are times where whether they are volunteers or not, they should be fired. :(  Being a volunteer should not excuse anyone from doing a good job and being competent in what they are doing. 

• mellen likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I would really like to say this better than this, but I don't have the time to get the PC detector working.

I can live with entry level workers making mistakes. They are volunteers and put up with a lot of stuff so we can play with toy cars.

When someone is in an authority position, Steward, Chief of something, decision maker, rules enforcer or rule maker, they need to be held to a higher standard. With authority comes responsibility. With responsibility comes accountability. Something should happen.

I believe the Steward that allowed the June Sprints fiasco of a few years ago was demoted within the Stewards program. He may not even be a Steward anymore. But I may be wrong.

• mellen likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MazdaSteve

MazdaSteve

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:CCR
  • Car Number:04

I see both perspectives as I play on the corner as a flagger and on the track in my Spec Miata when time and money permits. Couple observations:

1. The last thing any SCCA volunteer, whether it be F&C, Steward or EV wants to see, is a competitor get hurt or have their equipment torn up. We are all at the track to have fun and pursue our passion.

2. The majority of us that work on the corners for SCCA Majors and regional events also flag pro events such as Grand AM, Tudor, Pirelli World Challenge, Indycar and F1. Typically the only difference at the pro level is that Race Control and EV are paid staff that travels with the series.

3. SCCA and NASA have had to compensate flaggers with a stipend towards gas money to have enough flaggers show up and staff the minimal amount of corners to allow us to play with race cars. It is a slippery slope. Remember that every unmanned flag station represents a potential flag that could have benefitted you, and an increased response time to come to your assistance when "Fit hits the Shan".

4. VIR does not allow SCCA workers to flag at pro events. Did you see their "paid" staff almost have a Porsche GT3 land in their lap at T7 during the Tudor race a few years back? Or what about the "pro" EV truck that ran counter race during the Indycar event in Baltimore? Or NASCAR throwing the green flag at Charlotte during the BofA 500 while there were still pickup trucks with workers out of their vehicles on the back straight? My point is, we all make mistakes, even the "pros". Jules Bianchi may not be in a coma today if F1 Race Control had decided to red flag the Japanese Grand Prix a few laps sooner than it actually did.

5. The Flag Chiefs go a long way to staff their turns with seasoned Corner Captains. At VIR we had no less than 5 Flag Chiefs on staff from NCR and other regions this past weekend. These guys have forgotten more about flagging than a lot of us will know. Inevitably there will be rookie flaggers on turns for both Majors and regional events - that's how we get new blood and attract people to the club. But Corner Captains never leave newbs unattended. Someone is always right with them to mentor, to tell them to get the flag up, where to be looking, etc. Volunteers who don't have what it takes to work a corner are strongly "encouraged" to pursue other volunteer opportunities within the club. We understand what is at stake.

6. The majority of the flaggers I know are passionate, responsible and continually try to improve their racecraft.

Seneca Motorsports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users