FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Dave agree with that 100%, I would add that when your responsibility is the safety of others, that indeed is a big responsibility and if its not done well that has to be addressed and cannot be overlooked.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
When I protest an "Official" I'm protesting someone who's made a choice to be in a position of authority and should be willing to subject them self to a similar level of scrutiny that the drivers are held to... I don't protest volunteers who are every bit a part of club and are there for their personal enjoyment, because they make a mistake. Please understand however that our volunteers are compensated, note I don't say paid. Each region seems to have a system to incentivize the volunteers.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
When I protest an "Official" I'm protesting someone who's made a choice to be in a position of authority and should be willing to subject them self to a similar level of scrutiny that the drivers are held to... I don't protest volunteers who are every bit a part of club and are there for their personal enjoyment, because they make a mistake. Please understand however that our volunteers are compensated, note I don't say paid. Each region seems to have a system to incentivize the volunteers.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Mike, so your protest always includes the rule in the GCR, correct ?

There isn't any other book that the Officials work from ?

Devil's advocate, there's a section in the GCR on basically that the track should be clean/clear of  substance/debris ?

Or does it come down to experience ?

I understand it's a judgement call as well, it's clean enough or not.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
I "mostly" protest based on the GCR or the Supps. Sometimes I will include sections from particular operating manuals that the different specialties have.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

5.3. COURSE MARSHAL

The Course Chief prepares and maintains the course and performs other related duties assigned to him by the ACS – Safety and the Chief of Emer- gency Services (Chief of ES) in conjunction with the Series Chief Steward or Chief Steward. 

1. Appendix D. Duties, Authorities, and Responsibilities of the Chief Steward

3. 5.5.2.C  Descriptions of course and car conditions, and on-track situa-

tions will be conveyed to the SCS or CS via the communica- tions net-work 

Someone previously eluded that they felt it was the responsibility of the starter to start or not start the race, when the field is turned over to the starter and the pace car is removed the CS had a made a decision it is safe to race.  The decision to start the race at VIR falls solely on the CS or his charge, not the starter...  The starter may make a decision to not start the race but that decision is based solely on the actions of the drivers, not the track conditions.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Mike, you are way above my pay grade when it comes to officials. In my brief GCR officials reading there seems to be several officials reporting directly to the chief steward they being the  assistant chief steward-safety, stewards of the meet, course marshal, starter and presume pace car driver/helper in pace car. At other locations around the track, who do the previously stated officials and or corner workers communicate with before a green flag or during a race with reference to potential safety issues, don't start the race or red flag the race.

Who specifically was accountable for the oil absorbent not being cleaned for a safe track at the starters stand or any other place around the track?

Playing the devil's advocate, if a flock of geese land on the race track surface near the starters stand, who red flags the race? Real issue because I understand there was at least one goose on track that paid the ultimate price.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

I see where you can hold 2 or 3 people "specifically" accountable, but no matter how you slice it its still the CS.  

I would first direct my attention to the Safety Steward.  He reports directly to the CS.  There was an on-track incident (significant oil spill) that required major clean up prior to continuing with the days activities.  At VIR the clean up is done by an in-house EV Crew, but it is still the responsibility of the Safety Steward to examine the course and make a recommendation to the CS before continuing. Its (very) likely the Safety Steward received a report from the local EV that the track was clear and no inspection was done, while its is kind of hard to believe since even Jesus from Heaven could see how much oil dry was still on track, the Safety Steward from the back room of the Ivory Tower probably gave a thumbs up based on the report only and no visual inspection. The Safety Steward probably green lighted either the CS or ACS (Operating) for the SM group to move forward with a 5 on the grid.  At anytime the Starter or Observer from the start stand could have made a call to the CS or ACS questioning the amount of oil dry on the track, that did not happen at least not on a broadcasted radio net.  The way the tower at VIR is oriented I am not certain how much of the spill or lack of clean up was visible.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Mike...
https://www.youtube....h?v=0T9Hv5TJXT4
J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users