MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Event just started taking entries this weekend. SRF looks popular with 24 entries SM not so much with 10.  SM should be 40+.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

https://www.youtube....h?v=HMqXdrUjEe8

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51

Wow, only 18 entries!?

Nasa had around 60 for their final race at TWS in April.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I have been lazy and just haven't entered yet.  But I plan to be there.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Wow, only 18 entries!?

Nasa had around 60 for their final race at TWS in April.

Not that it materially changes your point, but there were 50 starters in saturday's races, and 48 for the Sunday race. 

That said, without going back and recalculating the SM entries, I recall that with 17 days before the race that SM was in the low 20s for entrants.  With a week to go it was in the high 30s.  The thursday before the event, there were about 42-43, and then several who registered the day-of to bring the total to 50-51. 

I've only been kinda tracking the NASA (not SCCA) SM entries since January, but the same basic pattern has been observed at MSR-H, MSR-C, and TWS thus far---to the extent that we ended up in a combined run-group on Satyrday, at MSR-C (even though we had 20-something starters on grid...a bunch didn't register until there was less than a week to go. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Unfortunately it looks like nobody from out of the state is entering.  Wasn't that the point of the Majors, to bring the best talent from around the country to race big races.  TWS is a very fast track, with plenty of danger and some of the most challenging turns in the country.  The turn 1,2 complex is one of the most unique turns in autosports.  It is a great passing zone.  How many other 88+ MPH turns are there where you can go side by side and make a pass?  Turns 8/9 is fairly unique is and is a challenge for even the best drivers.  Definitely the most challenging roval i have driven.  If bump drafting is your thing, then that's the ticket to pass on the front straight.  The lead car is always in jeopardy of a two car tag team on the front straight.   

• John Babot, Tom Hampton and Lee Thomas like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Bla, bla, bla...

Show a video :)

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Unfortunately it looks like nobody from out of the state is entering.  Wasn't that the point of the Majors, to bring the best talent from around the country to race big races.  TWS is a very fast track, with plenty of danger and some of the most challenging turns in the country.  The turn 1,2 complex is one of the most unique turns in autosports.  It is a great passing zone.  How many other 88+ MPH turns are there where you can go side by side and make a pass?  Turns 8/9 is fairly unique is and is a challenge for even the best drivers.  Definitely the most challenging roval i have driven.  If bump drafting is your thing, then that's the ticket to pass on the front straight.  The lead car is always in jeopardy of a two car tag team on the front straight.   

Totally agree.  I've only been there twice, and its easily my favorite track. 

Turn 1-2 is absolutely awesome.  I don't know where else you enter turn 1 at 112-113 mph, staying flat on the gas all the way through 1, and then trail-brake for turn 2 down to 85 mph (except I guess that Daytona nightmare).  Getting used to the car rotating under those conditions is, frankly, exhilerating. 

The feeling as the car goes from loaded, to unstable, to yawed left, and the suspension takes a set and the car bites and arcs towards the apex for 2....really cool when you get it close to right.  And when you lose it?  Heh....you get to tell a story about piroetting into the grass/mud at 100+.  I supose there is that drain out there somewhere that Drago hit.  But, I didn't find it, in either of my excursions out there last weekend. 

And the crazy pack entereing turn 1 on lap 1 and 2 (until it strung out)?  I have no idea how many wide we were.  Seemed like 10 wide diving for the apron.  Seemed like cars were everywhere. 

The compression through 7? I don't have verticle G, but that's got to be 1 1/2 g - 2 g down---a pretty unusual sesation in a road coarse.  When I visualize running laps there I instinctively hunch my shoulders anticpating the compression-g in 7.

The front stretch is "just right", its just long enough to get to the top of 4/ bottom of 5th and try a little bump drafting.  But, its not so long as to get boring waiting for the next turn (ala TMS). 

I wish I could go...but, other commitments becon before the summer heat gets into full swing. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

robertcope

robertcope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Show a video :)

Not SM, but I reset the TTD record out there at the last NASA race. Not an amazing lap by any means, the track was 1-3 seconds slow and I'd broken my splitter loading up to get there, so I had no aero...

This one is probably more exciting in terms of speed...

TWS is a fun track for racing. I don't think it's as technical as some of the other tracks we have here in Texas, but it does require some balls to go fast there. I'm trying not to be sad about it going away, but as I sit here and think about which turns are my favorite, well, I am getting sad. They're all fun! I always found T6 to be the hardest to get right, but boy when you get it right you can fly through there.

robert

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thank you Robert.

I haven't seen this one but the title sounds good.
https://www.youtube....h?v=hzrwFsId9-E

Better sign up, it's going to be good.

SCCA doesn't have some out of state shuttle service right ?
J~

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
I have good memories of this track. My first race was there and I've been at the back, the middle and the front of the pack on it. And have spent some time off the track at nearly every corner :)

I'll be sad to see it go. I'm hoping to be there for the last event - waiting to see if I have to make an overseas trip before I register.

CNJ.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We planned on going, but I have my sons graduation so I can't make it. That takes out four cars. We are all going to head to Mid Ohio instead

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

We planned on going, but I didn't want to get my ass beat by X-Factor Racing so we decided to take the weekend off. That takes out four cars. We are all going to head to Mid Ohio instead where we can beat up in the soft Ohio drivers.

Jim

. :)
  • Tom Hampton and Lee Thomas like this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

well that too except the soft competition at Mid Ohio part   :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

20 SM as of 1200p May 8.  Believe today is the last day to register for the free entry drawing.  Late fees start after May 17. 

(Doesn't appear the event will get 40+ cars as the April NASA TX event did.  Maybe because it's $500 for ~28 laps of racing & 25 min qual??? 15 min qual is more than enough IMO.

April NASA TX $310: 29 racing laps, two 15 min warm-up and two 15 min qual sessions, just stating facts)

• MPR22 and James York like this

Toby Linder