Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Side hits are worst, HANS does all but nothing in those instances.

I don't know if you recall but I asked your advice on buying a full-halo seat after my crash at Road Atlanta in July. I bought that seat and I think it saved my life…or save me from a lot more injuries. Luckily I had just leaned my head back into the seat and my head smashed up against the halo on impact. I don't think a side net would have provided the same level of protection. That seat is now bent, twisted and heading for the scrap bin.

If anyone is roadracing without a full halo seat, you are taking a risk that is just not worth it.

Looking forward to buying my next one…

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Lee's video is all the evidence anyone needs to support the importance of keeping all safety gear ON until you are in the paddock.

• MPR22 likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Lee, what seat did you buy? Just curious.

G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:24

Lee, what seat did you buy? Just curious.

UltraShield RoadRace Halo 3

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

UltraShield RoadRace Halo 3

Lee
I actually use the Kirkey economy road race seat. ( The economy bc it fits better in a miata). It is full containment and VERY strong! I don't sell these seats, but highly recommend them. They are extremely strong and well built. I have them in all my cars, and my guys liked them so much, all have switched to them as well.

It looks like your seat did a great job! That is all that matters.

On Hans comment, I was referring to Lee, as he was hit in side. It definitely helped Willie and likely saved him from far worse injury

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Pat Ross

Pat Ross

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:72

Jim,

I agree with you that the HANS didn't help Lee because of the direction of the force exerted by Willie's impact.  I was just reinforcing how lucky we are to have these safety devices when we need them even though they might be a pain in the a** at times.  If Dale E. had been wearing one he would most likely still be with us.

Pat

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Dale also used to unbuckle his shoulder belts and throw them off. Plus using an open face helmet didn't help either.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

That is a terrifying crash, I am glad to hear both are on the mend, though it sounds like it will be a long recovery - I hope it goes as well & quickly as it can.  Let's hear it for the system of safety devices we have to choose from today.

• MPR22 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

Anyone have video of Sunday's race?   

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Jim,

... If Dale E. had been wearing one he would most likely still be with us.

Pat

That seems to have been largely debunked, not that it matters either way, just tired of reading/hearing it.

No doubt the H&N restraints are a plus in many instances, but also no doubt that they are increasingly over-credited. If every person who felt certain that theirs has saved their life or neck was correct, then without them we would have seen at least a 1000 fold sudden increase in death and serious injury in this sport. Might be interesting to compile *real* data and try to factor in other changes that have taken place concurrently. Then at least we can get back to the ever popular "if it saves just one..." and start contemplating the potential value of wearing the Michelin Man suit and enforcing speed limits.

Not saying they shouldn't be required, just saying that a good thing should be able to stand on the facts, not hype or emotional over-attribution.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

That seems to have been largely debunked, not that it matters either way, just tired of reading/hearing it.

No doubt the H&N restraints are a plus in many instances, but also no doubt that they are increasingly over-credited. If every person who felt certain that theirs has saved their life or neck was correct, then without them we would have seen at least a 1000 fold sudden increase in death and serious injury in this sport. Might be interesting to compile *real* data and try to factor in other changes that have taken place concurrently. Then at least we can get back to the ever popular "if it saves just one..." and start contemplating the potential value of wearing the Michelin Man suit and enforcing speed limits.

Not saying they shouldn't be required, just saying that a good thing should be able to stand on the facts, not hype or emotional over-attribution.

So in that light, how many BSF have occurred while wearing a HANS or other similar head restraint device? There should be data on that floating around. 

And this is so far off topic it should be moved to another thread and continued.  Making racing safer for everyone is important, seeing your friends hurt brings perspective to an often overlooked part of the sport.   

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The answer to your question may well be (should be) zero of course. But the relevance of that fact can be put in perspective only WITH perspective. I've been around amateur racing longer than most and am strugglibg to think of specific examples prior to the Hans. Of course they were not as easily/readily communicated in those days but someone will know.

Unfortunately, personal experience is not always the best perspective. Truly avoidable injury of this kind can't be compared with, for example, the "perspective" of losing a loved one in war, but the emotions and reaction are similar. We lose thousands of people per year on the roads despite all the safety gear, expense, and at times added risk. By all accounts fatalities and serious injury have dropped considerably, but there is ALWAYS more that COULD be done. As with war, it takes rational minds not overly clouded by personal loss to make those decisions.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:03

I feel the same way about the SM parity threads.

I guess it is a good thing the forum allows free speech. (and opinions for that matter)

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA