Photo

Another newbie thread (Where do I get started)

- - - - - new mazda novice scca nasa karting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

AFlockhart1865

AFlockhart1865

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Nature Coast
  • Car Year:2001

Hey Y'all,

I'm not new to racing, I've raced Karts since I was 7 through high school and stopped when I went to college; so thats my racing background. I've been thinking about getting into racing spec Miata because I just got one on my lot as a trade (I run a small dealership) and loved the way it drove and handled even though I've never been a huge Miata fan, I was impressed! I wouldn't use the car I received on trade however (It's a green 2001, owned by an older man so it's in great shape even though it has 129,000 miles!), I'd be looking to just buy an already built car and start from there and maybe build my own down the road once my feet are wet. 

Anyways what Im asking is: What are the steps I need to take to get into racing miatas

Do I go NASA or SCCA, What kind of license do i need, where do i sign up for events, etc. Just the basics of what it takes to get me from behind my keyboard to behind the wheel! 

Thanks in advance!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

One of the best resources to get started is this:

http://goaheadtakethewheel.com/

• AFlockhart1865 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Hi, welcome.
So you can search this site , upper right box, newbie, you'll find a lot.

All depends on how fast and how much money you want to go really.

Track day in your car almost as is.
To Lic, at the next school, Race.

www.scca.com mostly racing only, they have a track night too for total beginners. http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/

NASA does soup to nuts, just about anything, with a ladder system.

www.nasaproracing.com 

Check out the tracks, people, clubs, events in your regional.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

What would your home track be?  There are some great SM vendors in Florida.  You may want to check them out.  BSI, Autotechnique, Old Dog to name a few.   Look at peoples signatures here on the site and you can normally see where they are from and if they race with a team or vendor...

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

AFlockhart1865

AFlockhart1865

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Nature Coast
  • Car Year:2001

What would your home track be?  There are some great SM vendors in Florida.  You may want to check them out.  BSI, Autotechnique, Old Dog to name a few.   Look at peoples signatures here on the site and you can normally see where they are from and if they race with a team or vendor...

Sebring is the closest track to me I believe, Im about an hour north of Tampa so Its not too far away. Thanks for all the info so far everyone

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Since nobody else chimed in, I have to toot my own horn. Buy my book, The Spec Miata Constructors Guide. Available at the website below. Read it at least twice. It will give you a bunch of info on what to look for. And more importantly, what not to look for.

Use the search function. We have not had a new question in years. All the answers are all ready posted.

Read the rule book. Know what is and is not legal, BEFORE you buy.

read my book again.

Read the rule book again.

Go to the track and make some friends.

Buy or build, keep preferences in order; Safe + reliability = fun. Fast is the last thing on your shopping list.

dave

• Alberto, Team Nitro and AFlockhart1865 like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

http://mazdaracers.c...-sm/#entry75855

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Tom, the link my not help that much with him being in florida and the posts pertaining to Northern CA.

But thanks for posting :hugegrin:

How about this link?
http://mazdaracers.c...l=+greek +bread

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Actually I was specifically linking to my post within the thread, which is not region specific (okay....it does say SFR, but hopefully someone can translate that to "insert your region here"...if not, then step away from the racecar.).  I suppose I could have cut&pasted the content.  But....didn't see the point in duplicating the content.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Oh Sorry, I see that now, that's good.

Like I control what's posted. :rotfl:

Carry on,

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

It's all good.  I barely pay attention to moderators anyway.  Oh wait....

-tch

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9

I can speak to SCCA in Central Florida, your region would be CFR.  To get a competition license, you generally need to complete two driving schools.  You may be able to get one or both waived based on previous experience.  The region holds two drivers schools annually, one was back in April at Daytona and the other is in July at Sebring.  You can certainly travel to other regions to fulfill the school require as well as use other schools such as Skip Barber.  There is a club race at Sebring June 13 & 14 on the short course.  You should make plans to attend.  As Mike mentioned above there are some top notch car builders here in Florida.  We work with Jeff LaBounty at Autotechnik, he is down in Cape Coral so a bit of a drive down I-75 but well worth the trip.  I live to the south of you feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Greg

• Danica Davison and AFlockhart1865 like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I can speak to SCCA in Central Florida, your region would be CFR.  To get a competition license, you generally need to complete two driving schools.  

Greg

I just love it when people quote the rule book without knowing what it says. 2 years ago SCCA changed the rule to a single drivers school. Back in the 1960's you had to be invited into the club, then do 3 schools.

You can also join any region you wish. San Francisco Region would be logical choice for a Floridian.

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Like others have said above, Jeff Labounty and Cory Collum at Autotechnik Racing are great guys and I have been with them since 2012 when I bought my 1990 spec miata from them.  I recently just sold my 90 and they are helping me build my new '99.  Not only are they extremely competitive in SM, they are very knowledgable, honest, and fair.   The Autotechnik team will be at the SCCA june event in sebring and would be worth your time to go ask questions and meet the great people in the Central Florida Region.     

• Mike Collins likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I suggest you go to the next Central Florida Region SCCA race which is at Sebring on June 13 & 14. Go speak with Jeff at Autotechnik and Stu with BSI. They know the answer to every question you can ask. Both have rental cars .You can get your license in one weekend at an SCCA school or private school. There is a SCCA drives school put on by CFR at Sebring on July 18 & 19.

I suggest you rent a car to go to school. It will take the stress off prepping the car and doing the school. It will also give you a chance to rate the performance of the different year cars.

The state of Florida has more than 100 SM drivers so you will never run a race with a low car count. Most CFR races have 50 to 70 cars. The SEDiv also has several race series including SARRC. No need to register since you automatically accumulate points.

• Mike Collins, Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, mazda, novice, scca, nasa, karting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users