Photo

You make the call, 99 Miata CA to Federal Exhaust Manifold

- - - - -

Best Answer Jim Drago , 05-20-2015 01:57 PM

OK, so I have cobbled together what I believe is the correct procedure for swapping from the "CA" manifold to the Federal manifold for my 99. Please let me know if there are any changes:

1. Purchase Fed Manifold (Duh)
2. Purchase BP4W ECU (Seems to be better?)
3. Remove O2 sensor from CA Manifold
4. Remove O2 sensor from downpipe
4. Either
     A: Install a Federal wire harness
     B: Unwind the O2 sensor wires that wraps around the front of the engine and bring it around the back of the engine
     C: Purchase a o2 extension cable
5. Install the new Fed Manifold
6. Install the 02 sensor that used to plug into the old manifold into the downpipe hole using one of the three choices in step 4
7. For the remaining O2 sensor
     A: If you use the Fed harness, problem already solved
     B: If you are using your current harness, either:
          1. Ground it (how?)
          2. Leave it in the engine bay where it won't cause trouble (Seems dangerous).

Thanks in advance.

Colin

1. Purchase Fed Manifold (Duh) they are 10% off until Monday with free shipping
2. Purchase BP4W ECU (Seems to be better?) 10% off free shipping until Monday
3. Remove O2 sensor from CA Manifold  correct
4. Remove O2 sensor from downpipe correct
4. Either
     A: Install a Federal wire harness ( not needed)
     B: Unwind the O2 sensor wires that wraps around the front of the engine and bring it around the back of the engine ( better method IMO)
     C: Purchase a o2 extension cable ( not needed)
6. Install the 02 sensor that used to plug into the old manifold into the downpipe hole into A pipe hole ( already there)
     A: If you use the Fed harness, problem already solved (not true)
          1. Ground it (how?) ( make a bracket and mount second sensor on firewall, so CEL is off make sure it is not against anything that will melt)
          2. Leave it in the engine bay where it won't cause trouble (Seems dangerous). (not dangerous)

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

OK, so I have cobbled together what I believe is the correct procedure for swapping from the "CA" manifold to the Federal manifold for my 99. Please let me know if there are any changes:

4. Either

B: Unwind the O2 sensor wires that wraps around the front of the engine and bring it around the back of the engine

6. Install the 02 sensor that used to plug into the old manifold into the downpipe hole using one of the three choices in step 4

1. Ground it (how?)

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
✓  Best Answer

4. Either
          1. Ground it (how?)

Thanks in advance.

Colin

1. Purchase Fed Manifold (Duh) they are 10% off until Monday with free shipping
2. Purchase BP4W ECU (Seems to be better?) 10% off free shipping until Monday
3. Remove O2 sensor from CA Manifold  correct
4. Remove O2 sensor from downpipe correct
4. Either
     A: Install a Federal wire harness ( not needed)
     B: Unwind the O2 sensor wires that wraps around the front of the engine and bring it around the back of the engine ( better method IMO)
     C: Purchase a o2 extension cable ( not needed)
6. Install the 02 sensor that used to plug into the old manifold into the downpipe hole into A pipe hole ( already there)
     A: If you use the Fed harness, problem already solved (not true)
          1. Ground it (how?) ( make a bracket and mount second sensor on firewall, so CEL is off make sure it is not against anything that will melt)
          2. Leave it in the engine bay where it won't cause trouble (Seems dangerous). (not dangerous)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Jim, thank you for the rapid response!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

You make the call !!

Step 4B Legal ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users