ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

The aluminum containment seats can be adjusted for the height of the ears.  Nice to set it so your eyes peek over the ears while your head's center of mass is still supported.

Haven't found a really comfortable aluminum seat yet though, haha.

I have a Racetech seat and its' head restraint arms are pretty long. That along with me being short makes the passenger mirror useless. It also make exiting the driver's window very difficult. It is a pretty comfortable seat and seems much safer than my last seat. 

Here you can see where I mounted a race mirror in order to get some idea what's next to me or soon will be.

Attached Files

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

After having seen the car in person, there are two better angles that make the point:  Either side on from the outside, where you can see the gap that opened up between the lower door bar and the rocker panel, or from the drivers window showing a similar view. 

I'm sure it could be said better.  But here's mine. 

Letter #17042

Request is to eliminate the rule that limits the maximum number of attachment points. Currently the rule restriction is to a maximum of 8 attachment points. The recent wreck at SCCA Majors at TWS involving William Keeling and Lee Thomas demonstrates the need to build our cages with maximum structural integrity in mind.

In this wreck William Keekings car nearly penetrated into the drivers compartment between the gap in the lower door bar / rockerpanel space. Any addtional attachment points that limit this potential, and any other strengthening opportunities should be allowed.

No consideration should be given to trading real safety against any perceived potential performance advantage

From September Fasttrack:

SM 1. #17042 (Tom Hampton) Maximum Cage Attachment Points Rule Thank you for your concern regarding the incident at TWS. The current cage specifications permit sufficient reinforcement of the driver's door bars without the need for additional cage attachment points.

Based on a disregard for the nature of the wreck at TWS?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

After looking at the 2 photos posted on page 3, what could we do to allow less intrusion without extra attachment points?

No disrespect to the cage in the receiving car. Everything can be improved. It looked like the upper tube was a NASCAR tube with the lower tube traveling straight from rear hoop to front hoop. Using the same two tubes, add a second NASCAR tube slightly above the existing lower straight tube. Then attach maybe three diagonals from the lower NASCAR tube to the lower straight tube and attach three diagonals from the lower NASCAR tube to the existing upper NASCAR tube. Could also be completed to the drivers side and still have elbow room. Now the same intrusion force is divided through a beam through six attachment points, two more attachment points than the crashed roll cage.

Thoughts or other thoughts for improvement without additional attachment points.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

Sure, more steel can always be added, and with a reasonable design will improve the strength of the cage.  That is not what i call engineering, its just brute force.   The point was really that there is no reason for the attachment point rule.  It simply limits the design options for a competent structural engineer, for no reason other than obtusenes or history.  

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20

I would bet that most cars have the thinnest allowable tubing in their door bars (and the rest of the cage, for that matter).  If you want more side protection, use .120 tubing and do three bent NASCAR bars attached to each other with vertical tubes.  Personally, I don't think cages should have an upper limit, (just a minimum) but that is just one person's opinion.  

• Tom Hampton and DavidNJ like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Saftey, Seats, HANS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users